1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Sep '17 19:39
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    It's not for Eladar to prove your story wrong, but for you to prove it's true.
    It explains everything without invoking supernatural bullshyte.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Sep '17 19:421 edit
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    It explains everything without invoking supernatural bullshyte.
    There is nothing that is natural that explains our existence. Nothing that is natural that has a beginning. Everything comes from something and everything has a beginning and an end.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Sep '17 12:44
    Originally posted by @eladar
    There is nothing that is natural that explains our existence. Nothing that is natural that has a beginning. Everything comes from something and everything has a beginning and an end.
    So? Show me the supernatural then. All I hear from you is opinion.
  4. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    05 Sep '17 13:05
    Is the alleged innocence of Jesus of the crimes for which he was tried attested to elsewhere than the texts specifically created to sanctify his memory?
  5. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    05 Sep '17 19:401 edit
    Nothing that is natural that has a beginning. Everything comes from something and everything has a beginning and an end.

So which is it then. Nothing has a beginning or everything has a beginning?
  6. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    06 Sep '17 01:00
    Originally posted by @finnegan
    [b]Nothing that is natural that has a beginning. Everything comes from something and everything has a beginning and an end.

So which is it then. Nothing has a beginning or everything has a beginning?[/b]
    [b]Nothing that is natural that has a beginning. Everything comes from something and everything has a beginning and an end.

So which is it then. Nothing has a beginning or everything has a beginning?[/b]
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Sep '17 01:17
    [b]

So which is it then. Nothing has a beginning or everything has a beginning?[/b][/b]
    Everything has a beginning and an end.

Nothing natural is without a beginning.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Sep '17 02:48
    Nothing natural is without a beginning.
    This is not something that humans know to be true. It's just an assertion. It's no more or less valid than me asserting that the universe and everything in it, in some form or another, had no beginning and has always existed.
  9. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    06 Sep '17 09:072 edits
    You seem to have the idea that this post contains something worth saying. I wonder where you get that idea from?

It's not new or original of course. So since it has a history or a tradition, we must assume you are aware of it.

What is a beginning? What does it mean to say of anything that it has a beginning?

As a minimum it is a reference to linear time and is a claim that everything exists in linear time. This is a proposition about the nature of time which can be unpacked and debated. Are you up to speed on Feynman diagrammes for example?

Everything comes from something implies that a beginning is merely a transformation of something already there.

That leads to the old Greek question about what it is that changes and what remains the same. Check out your Heraclitus, perhaps.

If you like you can dig into the land of paradoxes now, in a tradition back to Zeno. Most entertaining. Let's assume you know all that - most people do.

More importantly, why do you think your post actually says anything useful or significant, that has not been debated and reduced to nonsense several thousand years ago?

Useful or interesting in the present context simply means assisting or supporting an argument you wish to defend. What I am really asking is, given the history of this stuff, which I am sure we do not need to explore, what is your point?
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Sep '17 11:18
    You seem to have the idea that this post contains something worth saying. I wonder where you get that idea from?

It's not new or original of course. So since it has a history or a tradition, we must assume you are aware of it.

What is a beginning? What does it mean to say of anything that it has a beginning?

As a minimum it is a reference to lin ...[text shortened]... given the history of this stuff, which I am sure we do not need to explore, what is your point?
    You seem to believe that the post I quoted had something worth saying.
  11. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    06 Sep '17 15:40
    You seem to believe that the post I quoted had something worth saying.
    I thought I'd give you the opportunity to explain your own post.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Sep '17 16:151 edit
    I thought I'd give you the opportunity to explain your own post.
    It just shows that people are gullible and whatever nonsense someone speels, someone will believe in it. Look at Scientology, a fake religion if there ever was one, yet gullible people fall for it hook line and sinker in spite of the fact L Ron Hubbard was challenged to make up a religion at a science fiction writers party. Or the Davidians or a thousand other crooks saying they have the keys to heaven. That would be including Jesus.

Of course you would go 'not MY religion. MY religion is the ONE true religion'. And that would be said by each and every religion on the planet.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    09 Sep '17 16:32
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    So? Show me the supernatural then. All I hear from you is opinion.
    All I hear from you is opinion. All any of us have is opinion.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Sep '17 09:031 edit
    ...and yet I certainly made no attack on your belief whatsoever but specifically expressed my disappointment with "your little islamaphobic jibe."
    And I discarded the idea that that is what you actually thought it was, because 1) in no way am I an Islamophobe, and 2) as a "jibe" it certainly has no power, no? It was just a statement of fact (even you mentioned that it was "not a secret" ) and in no way a "jibe". I'm well past 5 years old.

The only other option was to regard it as some sort of attack on my belief. To me, that held more water than thinking you thought me likely to spew out some kind of "islamophobic jibe".
  15. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    11 Sep '17 00:03
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    And I discarded the idea that that is what you actually thought it was, because 1) in no way am I an Islamophobe, and 2) as a "jibe" it certainly has no power, no? It was just a statement of fact (even you mentioned that it was "not a secret" ) and in no way a "jibe". I'm well past 5 years old.

The only other option was to regard it as some sort of at ...[text shortened]... eld more water than thinking you thought me likely to spew out some kind of "islamophobic jibe".
    You were mistaken to discard the idea that what I wrote was what I actually thought.

I was mistaken to imagine it was interesting. However, I would prefer to defend what I did write and not what you imagine.

Your alternative hypothesis was false and holds no water. I think it is usually obvious when I am "attacking" something and what it is that I am attacking, but I may be flattering myself.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree