1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 21:24
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    I am not talking about common knowledge, I am talking about creativity, the ability to write pertinent laws and mores and such one their own. I think humans fully capable of doing just that. Why would you think otherwise?
    The scriptures cover a variety of subjects in a number of different ways. The theme that binds them all together is a God that was there for each generation. Only one book out of the 66 doesn't mention God, the One God.
  2. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 21:29
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    The scriptures cover a variety of subjects in a number of different ways. The theme that binds them all together is a God that was there for each generation. Only one book out of the 66 doesn't mention God, the One God.
    Again, everyone knows that humans couldn't build fairy tales if gods didn't exist.

How do you tell the difference between fairy tales and wisdom? Not the first time I've asked.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 21:52
    Unaided by god?
    Is the punchline: "but there is no God it's all a big scam"?
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 22:11
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Sure, but only to you.

(Go ahead though and present your evidence that a butterfly can not only dream, but also has the mental capacity to dream something as complicated as existence).
    Does the rules that dream worlds follow reflect reality?

You need to open your mind.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Aug '17 10:20
    Ok, what about the Quran? Or the Hindi scriptures? Are they inspired by a god?
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    25 Aug '17 11:18
    Ok, what about the Quran? Or the Hindi scriptures? Are they inspired by a god?
    Let the believers in those defend them.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    25 Aug '17 11:23
    Originally posted by @apathist
    Again, everyone knows that humans couldn't build fairy tales if gods didn't exist.

How do you tell the difference between fairy tales and wisdom? Not the first time I've asked.
    I believe in God that made the universe and everything in it, not one of my own making. with respect to you and fairy tales, you make yours up as you go.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Aug '17 13:11
    Let the believers in those defend them.
    But what do YOU think about whether a deity was involved in those books?
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    25 Aug '17 13:21
    But what do YOU think about whether a deity was involved in those books?
    I believe that there is only one God and throughout time He was clear on who He used to pass down scripture and His truth. So any so called truths from another source I'd call into question.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Aug '17 13:261 edit
    Unaided by god?
    I am most impressed with prophesy in the Bible. I've brought up before one such prophesy involving the calendar that pointed to the coming of the Messiah, which points to the time Jesus walked the earth. The scripture being, Daniel 9:24-27.

I'm also most impressed with Isaiah 53. Reading it you would think you were reading from the Gospels in the NT because it is a carbon copy of who and what Jesus was all about.

Having said that, I suppose you could argue that those in the NT simply read the OT and attempted to manipulate the facts to paint a false picture of what really went down. For example, they calculated the time of the coming of the Messiah in Daniel and decided it was time to fabricate a Messiah and make him look like the Messiah spoken of in Isaiah 53.

One thing though, it is odd to me that in Isaiah 53 we are told that a righteous man was targeted by God for punishment and death. This is unprecedented in the Bible. Why would God target an innocent man when he only targets evil men within the history of the Bible?

What strikes me odd though is, how many ancient religions have survived the test of time? For example, no one mentions the gods of the Greeks and Romans anymore. There is also the issue of the Bible prophesy talking about the end times in which Jews not only still practice their religion, but they still have a nation. What are the odds? Of course, you could still argue that people are only trying to make reality to fit the written word, but I think it kind of a stretch. By all rights, the amount of persecution and wars against Israel in which they were outnumbered and out gunned, to survive it all is miraculous.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Aug '17 15:08
    I believe that there is only one God and throughout time He was clear on who He used to pass down scripture and His truth. So any so called truths from another source I'd call into question.
    So you are saying that at least in those instances, humans did the writing with no involvement of a deity, right?
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    25 Aug '17 22:561 edit
    So you are saying that at least in those instances, humans did the writing with no involvement of a deity, right?
    I said let those who defend those beliefs defend them. I don't speak for them, and as I have said, I believe God was clear on who He spoke to, and how He revealed Himself. I believe the spread of time, the predictions surrounding Christ and the Jewish people that have come to pass set apart the Lord God Almighty from any other.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Aug '17 04:44
    Originally posted by @whodey
    By all rights, the amount of persecution and wars against Israel in which they were outnumbered and out gunned, to survive it all is miraculous.
    Presumably, you are unaware of its defence spending and the military aid and support it receives. If you are claiming it was "miraculous" that such expenditure was authorized by lawmakers in Tel Aviv and Washington DC, then it's a poliical issue that would probably belongs on the Debates Forum rather than the SPirituality Forum.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Aug '17 10:40
    I said let those who defend those beliefs defend them. I don't speak for them, and as I have said, I believe God was clear on who He spoke to, and how He revealed Himself. I believe the spread of time, the predictions surrounding Christ and the Jewish people that have come to pass set apart the Lord God Almighty from any other.
    So humans could not have written the Quran or Ipanashads or similar books without the help of a deity?
  15. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    26 Aug '17 11:21
    ... you make yours up as you go.
    Yes. As did your sources. This is not harsh, except for you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree