1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Jan '11 22:02
    Originally posted by jaywill
    I know many who are still trying to live the laws of Moses, not personally.

The New Testament is the teaching to receive the available Christ and abide in Him, allowing Him to abide in us.

Living Christ is not a matter of how one acts as much as how one reacts. We learn to more and more abide in the Holy Spirit. Then Jesus flows out of our reactions ...[text shortened]... e He dispenses Himself into our souls.

Thousands are experiencing this and growing in this.
    Yeah, it's called self hypnosis.
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    17 Jan '11 22:035 edits
    Originally posted by 667joe
    You are not living up to your biblical Christian obligations by keeping even some of your property, and your response to me certainly did not turn the other cheek.
    =============================
    You are not living up to your biblical Christian obligations by keeping even some of your property, and your response to me certainly did not turn the other cheek.
    =================================

You did not slap me on the cheek or assault me. Is your concept of "turning the other cheek" agreeing with all of your ideas ? That is not turning the other cheek.

It is not imitating Christ without Christ. It is living Christ who is alive, available and able to flow out of our innermost being.

The early church in Jerusalem did have all things in common. That is what God called for at that time. This practice was not always what God was doing.

Jesus, on the cross, instructed the dicsiple John to take the mother of Jesus into his own family. John then took Mary into his own private house:

"Then Jesus, seeing His mother and the disciple whom He loved standing by, said to His mother, Woman, behold your son. Then He said to the disciple, Behold, your mother. And from that hour the disciple took her into his own home." (John 18:26,27)

John did not say "Sorry Jesus. I don't have a home anymore because You told us to give everything away."

Besides, the teaching was that if we gave up our things, we would receive more. So it is not necessarily to be WITHOUT any posessions.

Sure Joe. Look carefully at what the Lord Jesus said:

"And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for My name's sake shall receive a hundred times as much and shall inherit eternal life." (Matthew 19:29)

So do not twist the teaching to insist that all Christians must live like Medievel monks in poverty. This has already been abused and corrected - monasticism.

Giving up unto Christ our material possession and riches may not mean to be without anything so that some accuser may gloat - "Oh you own property so you must not be living as the Bible said."

Giving up may result in God giving unto you more. It is how you handle your possession in His presence and for His purpose.

See also Mark 10:29,30 - which includes the words "There is no one who has left house ... fields for My sake and for the gospel's sake, But that he shall receive a hundred times as much now at this time, houses .... and fields, with persecutions, and in the coming age, eternal life."

So giving up may cause you to have a hundred times more possessions in this age, let alone the coming age.
  3. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    17 Jan '11 22:181 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Yeah, it's called self hypnosis.
    No it is called denying yourself and enjoying Christ. It is called enjoying the grace of Christ which is with you.

You deny the self and enjoy Christ.

As an outsider who is unexperienced you may ignorantly say "They are hypnotizing themselves."

Some people may be sidetracked into something of soulical forces or science of the soul. For example - Christian Science or Rosicrucians may be into science of the soul and self hypnotism of some sort.

But the normal Christian life, of what which many are experiencing (though not enough) are not sidetracked into self hypnotism. They are denying the self and touching the indwelling grace of Christ within instead.

And this causes them to be transformed by the renewing of the mind.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Jan '11 22:201 edit
    Originally posted by jaywill
    No it is called denying yourself and enjoying Christ. It is called enjoying the grace of Christ which is with you.

You deny the self and enjoy Christ.

As an outsider who is unexperienced you may ignorantly say "They are hypnotizing themselves."

Some people may be sidetracked into something of soulical forces or science of the soul. For exam ...[text shortened]... Christ within instead.

And this causes them to be transformed by the renewing of the mind.
    You can deny it all you want, it is still self hypnosis and self delusion all rolled up in one basket.

It may help you get through your dreary satan filled day but it is self hypnosis all the same.
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    17 Jan '11 22:241 edit
    To the gloating accusation "Oh, you own something Christian. So you are not following the Bible to not own anything" the apostolic teaching also says:

"But if anyone [in the church] does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever." (1 Timothy 5:8)

This apostolic teaching is to take responsibility to provide for those of YOUR household. And to fail to do so is worse than the behavior of an unbeliever. Such neglect is to deny the FAITH.

So we learn not just what the Bible says. We learn what it ALSO says joe. We want a well rounded and normal view of God's will.
  6. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    17 Jan '11 22:291 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You can deny it all you want, it is still self hypnosis and self delusion all rolled up in one basket.

It may help you get through your dreary satan filled day but it is self hypnosis all the same.
    ==============================

=====================================

You can repeat your accusation all you wish. It will only deepen your own self deception.

My day is wonderfully filled with the enjoyment of Christ, and Satan is crushed under the feet of grace.

Besides this, natural life GROWS. Why should not spiritual life also GROW?

One is not completely mature the moment one is BORN. Neither does God expect instantaneous maturity the moment one is BORN AGAIN.

I am glad He is so good and being God our Father.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 00:13
    But they are not living following the rules of the bible.
    But Christians believe that the rules of the Old Testament no longer apply. For example, Jesus explicitly changed the teaching on divorce, saying that Moses' allowance for divorce was only because the Hebrews of the time were incorrigible. In Acts, the apostles decide that gentile were not bound by the dietary regulations of Leviticus. The New Testament supersedes the old. This is very basic Christian belief.
  8. e4
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 01:32
    Only the really insane ones follow every word in the Bible.

Are there not some christian sects that believe if it's not in the Bible
    then it does not exist.

The don't have cars, televisions, telephones, computers...even their clothes
    are tied together because a simple thing like a zip or a button is not mentioned
    in the Bible.

Nothing against any religion if it brings comfort and peace of mind to a person.
    But some people take it too far.

If God did not want us to have computers why did he allow us to have computers?

Think the Bible could do with a serious make-over, yet another translation
    won't do it any harm.

The Old Testament, the New Testament and the Modern Testament with
    cars and televisions and whoopee cushions.

The Last Supper would not have been so glum if one of the lads had put
    a whoopee cushion under Judas.
  9. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 01:56
    If a man would follow, today, the teachings of the Old Testament he would be a criminal. If he would strictly follow the teachings of the New, he would be insane. Robert Ingersoll
    Clever and a tad simplistic line - "teachings" is a bit like the word "love", depends on what you mean.

"Teachings" may mean anything from a radical terroristic fundamentalism, to a liberal theological understanding of the Jewish and Christian sacred books, and many variants in between.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 02:01
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Only the really insane ones follow every word in the Bible.

Are there not some christian sects that believe if it's not in the Bible
    then it does not exist.

The don't have cars, televisions, telephones, computers...even their clothes
    are tied together because a simple thing like a zip or a button is not mentioned
    in the Bible.

Nothing against ...[text shortened]... Supper would not have been so glum if one of the lads had put
    a whoopee cushion under Judas.
    i think you may be referring to the Amish people of Northern America greenone, they have some interesting guidelines, shall we say with regard to technologies and codes of dress, although, these generally have underling principles behind them, also they differentiate between, ownership and usage, which in my opinion is blurring the lines just a little, although again, its based on a principle.

http://amishamerica.com/do-the-amish-use-computers-and-the-internet/
  11. e4
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 02:13
    Cheers Robbie, that's them the Amish people.

Do they have whoopee cushions, they are missing out on loads of fun.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 02:21
    Cheers Robbie, that's them the Amish people.

Do they have whoopee cushions, they are missing out on loads of fun.
    Lol, i dunno, they might, although they strike me as a little austere, so i dont know for sure. I wonder if they are permitted to play chess, mmmm.

Muhammed the Islamic prophet frowned upon our game, he thought that it was idolatry!!! He definitely would not have approved of whoopee cushions, flatulence was like a capital crime.
  13. e4
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 02:411 edit
    Not sure if Muhammed did frown on chess.

It came to Europe via Spain from the Muslim Moors and travelling Muslims use
    to set wagers by showing positions asking people to solve them.

I know some Muslim countries banned it in their schools because some of
    their young scholars were playing the game instead instead of studying.

Chess certainly owes a lot to the Muslim world as they were instrumental in
    spreading and bringing the game to Europe.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 03:04
    Not sure if Muhammed did frown on chess.

It came to Europe via Spain from the Muslim Moors and travelling Muslims use
    to set wagers by showing positions asking people to solve them.

I know some Muslim countries banned it in their schools because some of
    their young scholars were playing the game instead instead of studying.

Chess certainly ow ...[text shortened]... lot to the Muslim world as they were instrumental in
    spreading and bringing the game to Europe.
    yes all this is true, that is not to say that the game was banned, simply frowned upon by him, himself. Yes indeed the word Rook, from the Arabic , Ruch, chariot. Indeed i have a chess set I got from Tunisia, which has elephants as Rooks, and the Bishops are in the shape of colonnades, like you might find in a temple. Naturally, they have no cross on the King, or Popes hats on the Bishops, not in Islamic society 🙂
  15. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 04:22
    You always turn the other cheek and have given all your property and money to the poor?
    I guess by your biblical doctrines Paul the Apostle was unscriptural when he appealed to Caesar.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree