1. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    27 Jul '09 05:41
    Was Jesus placed on a cross or a stake? I was noticing that J-Dubs believe that Christ was hung from a stake rather than a cross. The Watchtower.org states official J-dub beliefs and this is one of them. What does history say? How did Romans crucify people? This is a subject I'm not 100% on.

Manny
  2. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '09 06:27
    Originally posted by menace71
    Was Jesus placed on a cross or a stake? I was noticing that J-Dubs believe that Christ was hung from a stake rather than a cross. The Watchtower.org states official J-dub beliefs and this is one of them. What does history say? How did Romans crucify people? This is a subject I'm not 100% on.

Manny
    A cross. It was a common form of tortuous Roman infliction of death and many persons were crucified. Thousands.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Jul '09 07:20

Manny
    Whats the difference anyway?
    (are you saying some people were 'hung from stakes'?)
  4. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    27 Jul '09 15:29
    I believe it would be a minor issue really. I found it interesting however.

Manny
  5. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    27 Jul '09 20:54
    I believe it would be a minor issue really. I found it interesting however.

Manny
    It's not minor, The cross is the way of salvation, if you don't believe it, that's your problem.
  6. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    27 Jul '09 20:59
    The wooden cross was what it was! A wooden cross. It's what Christ did on that Cross that really matters 🙂

Manny
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    27 Jul '09 21:16
    Originally posted by daniel58
    It's not minor, The cross is the way of salvation, if you don't believe it, that's your problem.
    I thought Jesus was the way to salvation?
  8. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    27 Jul '09 21:17
    Originally posted by galveston75
    I thought Jesus was the way to salvation?
    You are Right, Jesus is the only way of salvation, BECAUSE he died on the cross.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Jul '09 21:19
    A tradition of the Church which our fathers have inherited, was the adoption of the words "cross" and "crucify." These words are nowhere to be found in the Greek of the New Testament. These words are mistranslations, a "later rendering," of the Greek words stauros and stauroo. Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words says, "STAUROS denotes, primarily, an upright pole or stake...Both the noun and the verb stauroo, to fasten to a stake or pole, are originally to be distinguished from the ecclesiastical form of a two-beamed cross. The shape of the latter had its origin in ancient Chaldea (Babylon), and was used as the symbol of the god Tammuz (being in the shape of the mystic Tau, the initial of his name)...By the middle of the 3rd century A.D. the churches had either departed from, certain doctrines of the Christian faith. In order to increase the pretige of the apostate ecclesiastical system pagans were received into the churches apart from regeneration by faith, and were permitted largely to retain their pagan signs and symbols. Hence the Tau or T, in its most frequent form, with the cross piece lowered, was adopted..." [1]

http://www.thewordsofeternallife.com/cross.html
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    27 Jul '09 21:34
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Whats the difference anyway?
    (are you saying some people were 'hung from stakes'?)
    The differance might be important if one knew where the cross originated.. A little research would be worth the effort.
    Plus at Exodus 20:4 & 5" Remember the 10 commandments?"
    Lev 26:1, Duet 4:25,26, Ezek 7:20, 14:6, Jer 10:14,15, Isaiah 42:8, 44: 13-19, 1 John 5:21, Acts 15:20 17:29, 1Cor 5:11, 6:16, 10:14, Rev 21:8, Ps 115:4-8, states very clearly to not worship idols.
    So it's very confusing why some religions openly do this but yet say their Christian..
  11. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    27 Jul '09 21:38
    Originally posted by daniel58
    You are Right, Jesus is the only way of salvation, BECAUSE he died on the cross.
    So Jesus would not hold out salvation to all if he was killed some other way, like being beheaded?
  12. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    27 Jul '09 22:52
    What does History show? The Romans from what I understand had crucifixion down to a science. Is there proof other that the Greek words? Like Archaeological evidence? I'm sure others were crucified by the Romans.

Manny
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Jul '09 23:15
    What does History show? The Romans from what I understand had crucifixion down to a science. Is there proof other that the Greek words? Like Archaeological evidence? I'm sure others were crucified by the Romans.

Manny
    there are many arguments both for and against, i am now fed up reading them all, but here is an interesting site, which has many quotations form contemporary sources, which may help you to evaluate it for yourself.

http://www.gnmagazine.org/booklets/JC/roman-crucifixion.asp
  14. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    27 Jul '09 23:27
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crucifixion
    This might be a first. Yeah I never knew this so my bad. robbie you got (me) us on this one. It seems that how Jesus was hung and on what it was can really be debated. I will let this one go. 🙂 It's what was done by Christ that matters most. However there is not enough proof at least from the words. STAUROS mainly meant pole or stake. There is some argument that it could of evolved into the word for cross. I guess at the time the Aramaic did not have a word for cross. Interesting. So it's somewhat inconclusive but leaning toward a stake or pole.

Manny
  15. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    28 Jul '09 00:03
    Originally posted by galveston75
    So Jesus would not hold out salvation to all if he was killed some other way, like being beheaded?
    It has to happen that way, He foresaw it, so He couldn't have been killed any other way.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree