1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 12:39
    Originally posted by David C
    Mock away, pathetic hypocrite. Be sure to pray extra hard to your Syncretic Saviour® for your forgiveness tonight.
    Anyone who takes seriously the claims of such unscholarly work deserves what they get. It is sad, but true. Your itching ears are being thusly tickled, just as you requested. Enjoy.
  2. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 12:42
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Then perhaps you should point out exactly where the fallacies lie in Holding's rebuttals.
    Item 1-a: The Gospels should be treated as reliable historical facts because that's how they've been treated by the majority of mainstream biblical "scholars" for the last few dozen centuries.

Item 1-b: Jesus existed, because the Bible says so.

Take your pick of whichever essay you like, and apply liberally.
  3. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 12:44
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Anyone who takes seriously the claims of such unscholarly work deserves what they get. It is sad, but true. Your itching ears are being thusly tickled, just as you requested. Enjoy.
    Right. Tell us again how The Story of Jesus is Told in the Stars of Heaven? Got a link?
  4. An' it harms none...
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 12:44
    The sooner that everyone realises that there are fanatics in any religious (or anti-religious) group and gets over it, the sooner we can all share this world in peace. Everyone believes different things for different reasons. Get over it, move on...
  5. London
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 12:451 edit
    Item 1-a: The Gospels should be treated as reliable historical facts because that's how they've been treated by the majority of mainstream biblical "scholars" for the last few dozen centuries.

Item 1-b: Jesus existed, because the Bible says so.

Take your pick of whichever essay you like, and apply liberally.
    And the fallacy is...?
  6. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 12:49
    And the fallacy is...?
    1-a: ad populum

1-b: circulus in probando
  7. London
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 13:204 edits
    1-a: ad populum

1-b: circulus in probando
    If Holding actually did argue on the basis of 1a alone, then yes, it would be fallacious. But, in my reading of his rebuttals, that isn't the basis of his arguments - just one of his arguments. So, that's just presenting a strawman.

As to 1b, how is it circular reasoning?d

EDIT: And Holding does not argue the "last few centuries" bit. In fact, historico-critical scholarship in the last few centuries has been biased against the assumption of historicity - that is a more modern development. Again, that's a strawman.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 15:15
    Right. Tell us again how The Story of Jesus is Told in the Stars of Heaven? Got a link?
    No links that I'm aware of, but I do have a couple of books on the subject (albeit very old and now out of print).
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 15:17
    Originally posted by dags
    The sooner that everyone realises that there are fanatics in any religious (or anti-religious) group and gets over it, the sooner we can all share this world in peace. Everyone believes different things for different reasons. Get over it, move on...
    Something tells me there will be hot and cold wars for the rest of human history, regardless of religious affiliations and/or fanaticism.
  10. Joined
    29 Mar '06
    Moves
    03 Apr '06 15:23
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Sounds like the perfect place for you, 'firejunkie'. Why don't you go there now?
    Thats what I deserve, but by the grace of God and his love for me he sent his son to die for me and you! So that I will not have to!
  11. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    03 Apr '06 15:30
    Originally posted by firejunkie2027
    Thats what I deserve, but by the grace of God and his love for me he sent his son to die for me and you! So that I will not have to!
    *Yawn* self-delusional... *coughing* got something in my throat there... *Big yawn, back to sleep* 😴
  12. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    03 Apr '06 16:10
    Originally posted by firejunkie2027
    "Your mind powers won't work on me, boy." - Jabba the Hutt
  13. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 13:47
    Again, that's a strawman.
    Then pay more attention. Holding's essays in response to Mythical Christ proponents amount to several paragraphs of ad homenims followed by the usual appeal to the popularity among "biblical scholars" of the historicity of Jesus.

As to 1b, how is it circular reasoning?

1) The Gospels exist because Jesus was real.
    2) Jesus was real because the Gospels say so.

I realize this is an oversimplification, and you might want to point to any number of historical figures about whom we have very little documented evidence. I'm not concerned with Socrates or Alexander, as the existence of these characters do not have any bearing on the "fate of my eternal soul", as Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron might put it.
  14. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 13:54
    No links that I'm aware of, but I do have a couple of books on the subject (albeit very old and now out of print).
    Let me help you out, then:

http://www.capstonebooks.com/orig/pages/stars.html

You might find one or two of these in your collection. Now, you are of the opinion that the parallels between the observed stellar bodies and Gospel of the NT are a result of God's divine intervention. You won't argue that the constellations of stars, as we see them today, have probably remained unchanged for perhaps millions of years. It has been demonstrated that the Zodiac, in its' present form, pre-dates Jesus (see Temple of Dendera).

The inverse approach would seem to be somewhat more realisitic, don't you agree?
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 14:11
    You won't argue that the constellations of stars, as we see them today, have probably remained unchanged for perhaps millions of years.
    What about precession...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree