1. England
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 11:31
    what is your belief, mine is after we die we are judged, marked in some way then await the day of attonement to enter one gate or the other. tho i think this is how it will be i woundered if any other views
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 12:10
    Originally posted by stoker
    what is your belief, mine is after we die we are judged, marked in some way then await the day of attonement to enter one gate or the other. tho i think this is how it will be i woundered if any other views
    Please explain what you mean when you say 'we'. And what you mean by 'death'.
    When I say 'I' then I am referring to the physical entity that is typing this post, and when I say 'death' I am referring to the biological process by which the aforementioned physical entity essentially becomes non-existent.
    To believe as you do implies that you must mean something else by the words than I do.
  3. England
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 15:14
    well death the seperation of body and soul when your last breath has taken place.
    As for the we bit some think thats it gone, others think you await the second coming of our lord when you rise frome the grave, others have pergatory as a place for souls.
    hope this helps.
  4. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 15:43
    My belief is that if all goes well, I will be buried and my body eaten my worms. The nutrients will do very good to the cemetery trees, I guess.
    There's one big question in all this soul stuff.. What is your soul, and in what aspects does it manifest in your life? Because all things we are can be explained by the physical brain...
  5. weedhopper
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 21:22
    How long after we die? I tend toward the soulsleep thing where we just kinda lie there in suspended animation, and our next conscious thought is being judged. But basically, I was taught same as you. 2 gates---1 good one---0 do-overs.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 21:27
    By "I" and "me", do we mean my flesh and body, or do we mean my soul? Or do we simply mean my personality, my psycological sense of myself?

It's an important question, because if "I" and my "soul" are different phenomena, then the interpretation of "death" is different. And in that case, what about my personality, my psycological sense of myself?
  7. England
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 11:02
    to clear a point the body/flesh returns to the earth. as earlier stated to be worm food. but the i and we is my soul by which god given and returns to god for judgement. tho i think it is done in the hour of our death, its more to do with what ive been given than learnt.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 12:11
    well death the seperation of body and soul when your last breath has taken place.
    So what is this 'soul' thing you talk about?
  9. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 12:16
    to clear a point the body/flesh returns to the earth. as earlier stated to be worm food. but the i and we is my soul by which god given and returns to god for judgement. tho i think it is done in the hour of our death, its more to do with what ive been given than learnt.
    There's no difference between the "I/me" and "body/flesh".
    Our mind is physical, there's no external soul attached to our bodies: that's a myth. It comes from the fear of men being mortal and ending its existence when they die. The sooner people accept this, the happier they will be.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 12:412 edits
    Originally posted by serigado
    There's no difference between the "I/me" and "body/flesh".
    Our mind is physical, there's no external soul attached to our bodies: that's a myth. It comes from the fear of men being mortal and ending its existence when they die. The sooner people accept this, the happier they will be.
    Do you have proof or is this something you prefer to believe in order for you to be "happier"? I don't think you're on firmer footing than those who believe that there is a "soul".
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 14:011 edit
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Do you have proof or is this something you prefer to believe in order for you to be "happier"? I don't think you're on firmer footing than those who believe that there is a "soul".
    He is on much firmer footing because he can explain what he is talking about. Those who believe there is a 'soul' cannot.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 14:13
    Unconciousness. Freedom from pain, never again to feel pleasure...ceasing to exist.
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 14:42
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    He is on much firmer footing because he can explain what he is talking about. Those who believe there is a 'soul' cannot.
    Oh c'mon. There's no "proof" either way. In my mind it's foolish to make either assertion as definite.

Realistically, the "explanation" is based on ignorance. "This is outside the current understanding of the mind, so it must not be true". The understand of the mind is in its infancy.
  14. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 14:57
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Unconciousness. Freedom from pain, never again to feel pleasure...ceasing to exist.
    Pretty much just ceasing to exist. It's almost impossible for alive people to imagine that, but that's what I believe too.

No pain, no thoughts, no nothing... a complete absence of life and conciousness.
  15. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 15:01
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Oh c'mon. There's no "proof" either way. In my mind it's foolish to make either assertion as definite.

Realistically, the "explanation" is based on ignorance. "This is outside the current understanding of the mind, so it must not be true". The understand of the mind is in its infancy.
    The default is to not believe something exists unless there is at least significant evidence that it does exist - such as the tooth fairy.

We don't have any real evidence that a soul exists. Those who believe that we have a soul do so on faith, not evidence or any real determination based on facts.

Our understanding of the mind is very incomplete, but that isn't evidence that a soul exists. Our understanding, although incomplete, does not show any significant possibility of a soul that is somehow seperate from the physical body.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree