1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 09:04
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    What do hotels have to do with that? And show me some evidence that alcohol is the cause of most road accidents.
    Do you mean that in England you would not have to go to alcohol abuse
    classes and have your driving priviledges revolked for a period of time if
    caught driving under the influence of alcohol. Here, this is a result of
    many drunk drivers killing other drivers in head-on collisions.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 09:06
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Do you mean that in England you would not have to go to alcohol abuse
    classes and have your driving priviledges revolked for a period of time if
    caught driving under the influence of alcohol. Here, this is a result of
    many drunk drivers killing other drivers in head-on collisions.
    No. I think what he meant was ".. show me some evidence that alcohol is the cause of most road accidents."

Just a hunch based on reading his post.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 09:09
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I used to play violent video games eg "Doom" before DVDs were invented.
    Maybe Dasa is talking about video games like "Grand Theft Auto" where
    it teaches kids to commit crimes.
  4. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 16:29
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    How do you equate "sexual deviations" ,(and other such "transgressions" ), with something much more harmful like WAR?
    It is only in recent times that nations have resorted to diplomacy and started to accept others rights to freedom,etc. It has been war,war and more war in history.

These days there are few christians out there that would try to forc ...[text shortened]... you measure such a thing?(considering the population growth graph in the last 100 years)
    War is good, you can even get away with killing animals in it, just ask Dasa.

False gods does not always mean just that. The web, movies, habbits and vices all can be false gods.
  5. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 16:32
    But surely this has gone on throughout recorded history?

And what 'sexual deviations' are you talking about? Surely if something is accepted as the norm then it is not a deviation by definition?
    Even acceptable norms may be unacceptable to Godly people.

Not that long ago, someone in Debates was seemingly defending Pedophiles. If pedophilia becomes an accepted norm, I assure you it won't be acceptable to anyone who truly walks with God.
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 16:341 edit
    I used to play violent video games eg "Doom" before DVDs were invented.
    Who hasn't played Doom? I bet even Dasa has played Doom before. 😏
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 17:28
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Maybe Dasa is talking about video games like "Grand Theft Auto" where
    it teaches kids to commit crimes.
    That game first came out in 1997 just two years after DVDs were invented in 1995. So it seems hardly accurate to suggest DVD games have been getting more violent because of "Grand Theft Auto".
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 17:31
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Even acceptable norms may be unacceptable to Godly people.

Not that long ago, someone in Debates was seemingly defending Pedophiles. If pedophilia becomes an accepted norm, I assure you it won't be acceptable to anyone who truly walks with God.
    So it seems you cannot answer my question.
    When you said
    In Biblical history, God has "turned His back' on societies where sexual deviations are accepted as the norm, and societies that worship false gods.
    We are in times where this is going on.

there is no suggestion that you were talking about some hypothetical future scenario. You quite clearly say "We are in times where this is going on."
    So, I ask again: which deviations are you talking about?
  9. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 17:39
    So it seems you cannot answer my question.
    When you said
    In Biblical history, God has "turned His back' on societies where sexual deviations are accepted as the norm, and societies that worship false gods.
    We are in times where this is going on.

there is no suggestion that you were talking about some hypothetical future scenario. You ...[text shortened]... in times where this is going on."
    So, I ask again: which deviations are you talking about?
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought this answered it, at least in part.

10. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 18:472 edits
    A few, (christian ), posters have, (sometimes directly), said that the world/society (?) is in decline?

Anyone think that this is true and if so what are the signs of this ? (I dont see any definite signs that society is in decline - except for the same ones that have existed for years.)
    I would simply say, "Look out your window."

Now I guess it could be argued that mankind is acting no more corruptly today than they ever were. Perhaps that is true.

But what I have personally observed over just the past 4 decades is that what was once considered completely evil and taboo is nowadays hardly even newsworthy. Today we have dozens of Jack-the-Ripper-equivalents walking around when back then he was the only one and the ordeal shocked the whole country. The Columbine Massacre ended up being a blue print for future events that seem to be happening with more and more regularity. The OKC bombing. 9/11. All acts of evil seem to be getting more and more severe over time, perhaps because the perpetrators are looking for a shock and awe effect so they always want to "out-do" the last guy. Who knows.

But anyway apart from all that there is one inarguable statistic that tells me we that we have been on the decline since day 1. And that is, the state of affairs on this dumpster of a planet.

Ever heard of the Pacific Trash Vortex? (there are I believe 4 other such vortices)
    It's a huge blob of plastic waste and sludge swirling around in the Pacific Ocean currents, estimated to weigh about 100 million tons and span an area the size of Texas if not bigger. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_Garbage_Patch

Nope, we didn't have stuff like that going on back in the day. Things have undoubtedly been on the decline in my opinion.
  11. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 19:20
    A few, (christian ), posters have, (sometimes directly), said that the world/society (?) is in decline?

Anyone think that this is true and if so what are the signs of this ? (I dont see any definite signs that society is in decline - except for the same ones that have existed for years.)
    Yes most have always existed in one form or another. I see in your following post that you don't agree that things have gotten worse.
    I have no idea how old you are but if your anywhere over 30 and have children I would venture to say you would not let them play out on the streets as you may have when you were a child after dark.
    I bet you would not travel thru many parts of the world that you may have felt safe doing at one time.
    I posted a few moths ago how many have died in wars since WW1 and also a posting of how many children are dying every minute on this earth because of starvation and simple sicknesses that can be privented if only the greed of money were not in control.
    Yes these things have always been. And they existed many thousands of years ago too in Noahs time and it finally got to the tipping point that God had to step in to save the earth and the few GOOD people that were left.
    The Bible clearly says that a day will happen again the he will step in because of things "going from bad to worse".
  12. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 19:21
    Originally posted by sumydid

Now I guess it could be argued that mankind is acting no more corruptly today than they ever were. Perhaps that is true.

But what I have personally observed over just the past 4 decades is that what was once considered completely evil and taboo is nowadays hardly even newsworthy. Today we have dozens of Jac ...[text shortened]... that going on back in the day. Things have undoubtedly been on the decline in my opinion.
    Good post buddy...
  13. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 19:26
    Check these out:

http://library.thinkquest.org/C002291/high/present/stats.htm

http://www.bread.org/hunger/global/

http://www.wfp.org/hunger/stats

We forget about this stuff because most of us in this country go to bed with food in our stomachs.
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 19:31
    Now try the casuailties of war. A huge number of these were innocent civilians:

http://www.taphilo.com/history/war-deaths.shtml

http://necrometrics.com/20c5m.htm

http://www.cissm.umd.edu/papers/files/deathswarsconflictsjune52006.pdf

http://necrometrics.com/warstats.htm
  15. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 19:332 edits
    Originally posted by sumydid

But what I have personally observed over just the past 4 decades is that what was once considered completely evil and taboo is nowadays hardly even newsworthy. Today we have dozens of Jac that going on back in the day. Things have undoubtedly been on the decline in my opinion.
    Today we have dozens of Jack-the-Ripper-equivalents walking around...

Name them.

Jack-the-Ripper... was the only [serial killer in his day] and the ordeal shocked the whole country.

Wrong, rat lips.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_serial_killers_by_country

The Columbine Massacre ended up being a blue print for future events that seem to be happening with more and more regularity.

Show me on a graph how this type of event is happening at an exponentially increasing rate.

The OKC bombing. 9/11. All acts of evil seem to be getting more and more severe over time...

What has happened that is more severe? BTW 9/11 was an act of war and only considered evil depending on which side you stand on just like any other war.
    We just like to call it evil because we were attacked on our home turf for the first time since we became a country... unless, of course, you consider any war evil but then wars have been going on since old testament times.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree