http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/112/23/3547.full
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 19:351 edit
    Originally posted by sumydid
    I would simply say, "Look out your window."

Now I guess it could be argued that mankind is acting no more corruptly today than they ever were. Perhaps that is true.

But what I have personally observed over just the past 4 decades is that what was once considered completely evil and taboo is nowadays hardly even newsworthy. Today we have dozens of Jac that going on back in the day. Things have undoubtedly been on the decline in my opinion.
    Today we have dozens of Jack-the-Ripper-equivalents walking around when back then he was the only one and the ordeal shocked the whole country.

Oh dear. Here's a list of Victorian era serial killers i found after a one minute Google search -

Jack the Ripper
    H. H. Holmes
    Amelia Dyer
    Mary Ann Cotton
    Jane Toppan
    George Chapman
    Belle Gunness
    Joseph Vacher
    Servant Girl Annihilator
    William Palmer
    Johann Otto Hoch
    The Bloody Benders
    Thomas Neill Cream
    Thug Behram
    Delphin LaLaurie
    Burke and Hare
    Catherine Wilson
    Joseph Philipe
    W. H. Theodore Durrant
    Thames Torso Murderer
    Amelia Sach
    Annie Walters
    Jesse Pomeroy
    Walter Horsford
    Frederick Deeming
    Catherine Flannagan
    Margaret Higgins
    Louisa Jane Taylor
    Henri Pineux ("Count Henri de Tourville" )
    Roland P. Molineux
    Thomas Piper
    Anna Zwanziger
    Joseph Briggen
    Lucretia Cannon
    Thomas Carr
    George Caraway
    Williamina Dean
    Martin Dumollard
    Gessina Gottfried
    Marie Jeanneret
    Helene Jegado
    Pierre Lacenaire
    Sarah Jane Newman
    Charles Peace
    Pierre Voirbo
    Thomas Wainright
    Alfred Warder
    Margaret Waters
    Edmund de la Pommerais
    Edward Pritchard
    Jean Raies
    Stephen Richards
    Sarah Jane Robinson
    Lydia Sherman
    John Wesley Hardin
    William Bonney ("Billy the Kid" )
    John Bishop
    Thomas Williams
    Mary Ann Britland
    Jane Scott
    Sarah Dazley
    Jessie King
    Ada Chard-Williams
    William Williams
    Jean Baptiste Troppman
    Eugene Chantrelle

I would hardly say Jack the Ripper was 'the only one'.
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 19:38
    One of the signs marking “the last days” would be “ridiculers [literally, players in sport (of mocking)] with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires [“own desires for ungodly things”; Jude 17, 18] and saying: ‘Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep in death, all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.’” (2Pe 3:3, 4) Obviously, such ones do not heed the advice of Isaiah 28:21, 22, warning of the grave danger of scoffing at Jehovah.
  4. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 19:40
    Originally posted by galveston75
    One of the signs marking “the last days” would be “ridiculers [literally, players in sport (of mocking)] with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires [“own desires for ungodly things”; Jude 17, 18] and saying: ‘Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep in death, all things are continuing exact ...[text shortened]... do not heed the advice of Isaiah 28:21, 22, warning of the grave danger of scoffing at Jehovah.
    Wasn't that happening in the days of Jesus, according to the Bible?
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 19:45
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Wasn't that happening in the days of Jesus, according to the Bible?
    Yes those things did happen and always have. So this must mean something different, something more outstanding then the usual or else there would be no special meaning to this or the other scriptures that point out things getting worse. It would be describing something out of the ordinary that ones would see if they were really paying attention.
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 19:48
    Yes those things did happen and always have. So this must mean something different, something more outstanding then the usual or else there would be no special meaning to this or the other scriptures that point out things getting worse. It would be describing something out of the ordinary that ones would see if they were really paying attention.
    Maybe it alludes to a time when Governments are ridiculing? If so then, according to the Bible, we are still not in the end times.

I think the Bible says somewhere that Satan will come and slay man with peace? I have heard that other passages also allude to a global "peace" in the end times?
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 20:091 edit
    Maybe it alludes to a time when Governments are ridiculing? If so then, according to the Bible, we are still not in the end times.

I think the Bible says somewhere that Satan will come and slay man with peace? I have heard that other passages also allude to a global "peace" in the end times?
    Well in a round about way the governments do this and always have. Instead of looking to God and his son Jesus for direction and turning over earths problems to them, they have put God on the back burner and have ran things themselves.
    I don't recall a scripture that says that about Satan but this scripture describes a time right before God acts.

1 Thessalonians 5:2-3
    New Living Translation (NLT)

2 For you know quite well that the day of the Lord’s return will come unexpectedly, like a thief in the night. 3 When people are saying, “Everything is peaceful and secure,” then disaster will fall on them as suddenly as a pregnant woman’s labor pains begin. And there will be no escape.

I like this version too:

1 Thessalonians 5:2-3
    The Message (MSG)

1 Thessalonians 5
    1-3I don't think, friends, that I need to deal with the question of when all this is going to happen. You know as well as I that the day of the Master's coming can't be posted on our calendars. He won't call ahead and make an appointment any more than a burglar would. About the time everybody's walking around complacently, congratulating each other—"We've sure got it made! Now we can take it easy!"—suddenly everything will fall apart. It's going to come as suddenly and inescapably as birth pangs to a pregnant woman.
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 20:162 edits
    Well in a round about way the governments do this and always have. Instead of looking to God and his son Jesus for direction and turning over earths problems to them, they have put God on the back burner and have ran things themselves.
    I don't recall a scripture that says that about Satan but this scripture describes a time right before God acts.

1 rt. It's going to come as suddenly and inescapably as birth pangs to a pregnant woman.
    But governments are the arrangement of God, according to the Bible. If they are not directly riduculing God then they are doing God's work, according to the Bible.

It is the government that protects your right to practice your religion, is it not?
  9. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 20:222 edits
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    A few, (christian ), posters have, (sometimes directly), said that the world/society (?) is in decline?

Anyone think that this is true and if so what are the signs of this ? (I dont see any definite signs that society is in decline - except for the same ones that have existed for years.)
    What is interesting and perhaps ironic is that the more society declines the more people turn to Christianity for salvation. Yet there are more Christians in the world today than ever before but it still declines.
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 20:261 edit
    But governments are the arrangement of God, according to the Bible. If they are not directly riduculing God then they are doing God's work, according to the Bible.

It is the government that protects your right to practice your religion, is it not?
    Did God actually arange them our does he let them exist? The Bible pictures world governments as “beasts” and says that they get their authority from the Dragon, Satan the Devil. God has permitted them to remain and has limited their scope and duration of rule, in harmony with his purpose.
    Look up these when you get a chance—Dan chapters 7, 8; Rev chapters 13, 17; Da 4:25, 35; Joh 19:11; Ac 17:26; 2Co 4:3, 4.
    And remember Jesus said his Kingdom was no part of this world. If it were a part then he would be working thru the governments to correct the problems we have earthwide.
    And yes some governments do help with religious rights. And that can be by God's direction. But if God was not behind this we can only imagine what the earth would be like in a spiritual sense.
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 20:341 edit
    Did God actually arange them our does he let them exist? The Bible pictures world governments as “beasts” and says that they get their authority from the Dragon, Satan the Devil. God has permitted them to remain and has limited their scope and duration of rule, in harmony with his purpose.
    Look up these when you get a chance—Dan chapters 7, 8; Rev chap God was not behind this we can only imagine what the earth would be like in a spiritual sense.
    That is my argument. If he "arranges" them in harmony with his purpose then they are the arrangement of God.

What you imagine the earth to be like if this were not so is probably closer to what the end times will be like before the "anti-christ" steps forward to make global peace. This is all given the Bible is indeed true.

We have not yet reached that point and I see no reason to conlclude that we will ever reach that point.
  12. Wat?
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 20:34
    I would simply say, "Look out your window."

Now I guess it could be argued that mankind is acting no more corruptly today than they ever were. Perhaps that is true.

But what I have personally observed over just the past 4 decades is that what was once considered completely evil and taboo is nowadays hardly even newsworthy. Today we have dozens of Jac ...[text shortened]... that going on back in the day. Things have undoubtedly been on the decline in my opinion.
    Things may have been on decline 'out of your window', but certainly not mine.

Maybe it's a US thing, or Texas thing.

I don't look out of my window. I walk in the midst of what is outside of it!

If you think Thailand is anything like the dump of USA you are far mistaken.

Ever been out of your state, country or held a passport? I doubt it, by your ignorance.

-m.
  13. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 20:36
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Things may have been on decline 'out of your window', but certainly not mine.

Maybe it's a US thing, or Texas thing.

I don't look out of my window. I walk in the midst of what is outside of it!

If you think Thailand is anything like the dump of USA you are far mistaken.

Ever been out of your state, country or held a passport? I doubt it, by your ignorance.

-m.
    The USA isn't dump in the general sense... it is a dump for serial killers.

There seem to be way more serial killers, historically, in the US than in any other country.
  14. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 20:36
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    [b]Today we have dozens of Jack-the-Ripper-equivalents walking around when back then he was the only one and the ordeal shocked the whole country.

Oh dear. Here's a list of Victorian era serial killers i found after a one minute Google search -

Jack the Ripper
    H. H. Holmes
    Amelia Dyer
    Mary Ann Cotton
    Jane Toppan
    George Chapman
    Belle Gunn ...[text shortened]... ste Troppman
    Eugene Chantrelle

I would hardly say Jack the Ripper was 'the only one'.[/b]
    I meant the only one of his time. And sheesh, I guess I could have been wrong. I illustrated it poorly but my point was, the serial killers were fewer and farther between way back when.
  15. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 20:392 edits
    I meant the only one of his time. And sheesh, I guess I could have been wrong. I illustrated it poorly but my point was, the serial killers were fewer and farther between way back when.
    Still not true. The most brutal serial killers still reside in the past.

Most serial killers today tend to just kill and be done with it.

Ed Gein (around the same time as Jack the Ripper) had the whole interior of his house made of human skin; From the walls to the lamp shades, it was all human skin and some of it was his family's skin.

Norman Bates, Leatherface, and Jame Gumb we all based off of Ed Gein.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree