Denying the Holy Spirit

Denying the Holy Spirit

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
02 Sep 12

Around and around in circles we go, yet again.

So yet again, I quote:

"Do Buddhists believe in god?

No, we do not. There are several reasons for this. The Buddha, like modern sociologists and psychologists, believed that religious ideas, and especially the god idea, have their origin in fear.

The Buddha says:

"Gripped by fear men go to the sacred mountains,
sacred groves, sacred trees and shrines".

Primitive man found himself in a dangerous and hostile world. The fear of wild animals; of not being able to find enough food; of injury or disease, and of natural phenomena like thunder, lightning and volcanoes was constantly with him. Finding no security, he created the idea of gods in order to give him comfort in good times, courage in times of danger and consolation when things went wrong.

To this day, you will notice that people become more religious at times of crises, and you will hear them say that the belief in a god or gods gives them the strength they need to deal with life. You will hear them explain that they believe in a particular god because they prayed in time of need and their prayer was answered. All this seems to support the Buddha’s teaching that the god-idea is a response to fear and frustration.
The Buddha taught us to try to understand our fears, to lessen our desires and to calmly and courageously accept the things we cannot change. He replaced fear not with irrational belief, but with rational understanding.

The second reason the Buddha did not believe in a god is because there does not seem to be any evidence to support this idea. There are numerous religions, all claiming that they alone have god’s words preserved in their holy book, that they alone understand god’s nature and that their god exists, and that the gods of other religions do not. Some claim that god is masculine; some that she is feminine; and others that it is neuter. They are all satisfied that there is ample evidence to prove the existence of their god, but they laugh in disbelief at the evidence other religions use to prove the existence of another god. It is not surprising that with so many different religions, spending so many centuries trying to prove the existence of their gods, that still no real, concrete, substantial or irrefutable evidence has been found. Buddhists suspend judgment until such evidence is forthcoming.

The third reason the Buddha did not believe in a god is that the belief is not necessary. Some claim that the belief in a god is necessary in order to explain the origin of the universe, but Buddhists believe this is not so. Science has very convincingly explained how the universe came into being, without having to introduce the god-idea. Some claim that belief in god is necessary to have a happy, meaningful life. Again we can see that this is not so.
There are millions of atheists and free-thinkers, not to mention many Buddhists, who live useful, happy and meaningful lives without belief in a god. Some claim that belief in god’s power is necessary because humans, being weak, do not have the strength to help themselves.

Once again, the evidence indicates the opposite. One often hears of people who have overcome great disabilities and handicaps; enormous odds and difficulties, through their own inner resources; through their own efforts and without belief in a god. Some claim that god is necessary in order to give man salvation. but this argument only holds good if you accept the theological concept of salvation and Buddhists do not accept such a concept.

Based on his own experience, the Buddha saw that each human being had the capacity to purify the mind, develop infinite love and compassion and perfect understanding.
He shifted attention from the heavens to the heart, and He encouraged us to find solutions to our problems through self-understanding.

-m.

PH

Moves
02 Sep 12

Forgot to say, ghosts don't exist.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 Sep 12
2 edits

Originally posted by Suzianne
I bet his parents are so proud.
Only if they are the ones that taught him this nonsense.

Jesus actually says that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is unforgiveable. The online dictionary defines blasphemy as a contemptuous or profane act, utterance, or writing concerning God or a sacred entity.

The pharisees accused Jesus of blasphemy for claiming to be equal with God.
It appears to me that the boy is being contemptuous in his utterance against the Holy Spirit by denying the existence of the Holy Spirit as God. But perhaps my understanding is incorrect. I hope so for the boys sake.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 Sep 12

Originally posted by mikelom
Around and around in circles we go, yet again.

So yet again, I quote:

"Do Buddhists believe in god?

No, we do not. There are several reasons for this. The Buddha, like modern sociologists and psychologists, believed that religious ideas, and especially the god idea, have their origin in fear.

The Buddha says:

"Gripped by fear men go to th ...[text shortened]... rt, and He encouraged us to find solutions to our problems through self-understanding.

-m.
The Buddhists still needs to be saved by the blood of Christ regardless of what theological concept they do not accept. All men are under the same rule at the judgment.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 Sep 12
1 edit

Originally posted by Phil Hill
Forgot to say, ghosts don't exist.
How can you know Ghosts do not exist? Just because you have never seen something does not prove it does not exist. I bet there are a lot of things you may never have seen, like electrons, thoughts, evolution, black hole, etc. that you would not make the claim against their existence. Why are you so sure about Ghosts?

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
02 Sep 12
2 edits

Originally posted by CLL53
I simply cannot understand the atheistic motivations. I can somewhat understand the agnostics, not knowing for sure either way, leaving the possibility open, no great motivation for them to try to convince the world of their belief or lack thereof. The atheists, however, feel that they can authoritatively state that there is no higher power, and they feel th ...[text shortened]... they have not sought him, and therefore have not found him, does not imply that he is not there.
Because there are too many theist dicks* in the world giving us a reason to care.

I can say with maximal confidence that your "G"od does not exist.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
not to be read as \"all theists are dicks\"

PH

Moves
02 Sep 12

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 Sep 12

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Why not just say, "I do not believe there are ghost due to my lack of knowledge and experience."

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
02 Sep 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
Why not just say, "I do not believe there are ghost due to my lack of knowledge and experience."
To say that would cheapen the justification for not believing in ghosts - for example, your reason for not believing you are the Gingerbread Man isn't limited only to your lack of perceiving with your own eyes that you are a biscuit entity. Indeed to accept the proposition you are a walking talking biscuit (even if you cannot trust your eyesight) would raise all manner of inconsistencies with what we collectively understand about the world.

In the same way, belief in gods and ghosts raise, for us, more problems than just our inability to see them.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 Sep 12

Originally posted by Agerg
To say that would cheapen the justification for not believing in ghosts - for example, your reason for not believing you are the Gingerbread Man isn't limited only to your lack of perceiving with your own eyes that you are a biscuit entity. Indeed to accept the proposition you are a walking talking biscuit (even if you cannot trust your eyesight) would raise a ...[text shortened]... ay, belief in gods and ghosts raise, for us, more problems than just our inability to see them.
I am not talking about biscuits here. I am talking about the possible existence of spirit beings, like angels and demons, and ghosts from the spirit-souls of the dead. There are many people who have claimed to see ghosts and even that their souls have departed their bodies for a short time. Perhaps all those people are lying, but I do not know for sure and I do not think you do either.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
02 Sep 12

To say that would cheapen the justification for not believing in ghosts - for example, your reason for not believing you are the Gingerbread Man isn't limited only to your lack of perceiving with your own eyes that you are a biscuit entity. Indeed to accept the proposition you are a walking talking biscuit (even if you cannot trust your eyesight) would raise a ...[text shortened]... ay, belief in gods and ghosts raise, for us, more problems than just our inability to see them.
bwahahahaha!!

"biscuit entity"... that's pretty rich, man. Thanks for the laugh. 🙂

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
02 Sep 12

Only if they are the ones that taught him this nonsense.

Jesus actually says that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is unforgiveable. The online dictionary defines blasphemy as a contemptuous or profane act, utterance, or writing concerning God or a sacred entity.

The pharisees accused Jesus of blasphemy for claiming to be equal with God.
It appears ...[text shortened]... he Holy Spirit as God. But perhaps my understanding is incorrect. I hope so for the boys sake.
I usually just blow these things off as another atheist rant.

That boy wasn't lost the minute he made this utterance, he was already lost. Satan moves in people like him when they try to convince others to commit the same sin and yield up their souls to Satan too.

This is the true danger of atheists, that they might fool others, who might have otherwise had the chance to be redeemed before God by accepting Christ, into choosing eternal death over eternal life.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
02 Sep 12

Originally posted by Suzianne
I usually just blow these things off as another atheist rant.

That boy wasn't lost the minute he made this utterance, he was already lost. Satan moves in people like him when they try to convince others to commit the same sin and yield up their souls to Satan too.

This is the true danger of atheists, that they might fool others, who might have otherw ...[text shortened]... e to be redeemed before God by accepting Christ, into choosing eternal death over eternal life.
pssst......Suzianne..

Satan doesn\'t exist!

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
02 Sep 12
1 edit

I am not talking about biscuits here. I am talking about the possible existence of spirit beings, like angels and demons, and ghosts from the spirit-souls of the dead. There are many people who have claimed to see ghosts and even that their souls have departed their bodies for a short time. Perhaps all those people are lying, but I do not know for sure and I do not think you do either.
I know you weren't talking about biscuits - the comparison is valid all the same though. Failing to *see* you are the Gingerbread Man is probably the least of your reasons for believing you are not the Gingerbread Man
indeed believing that would just be f*****g stupid for many reasons
. The same is true with ghosts - no matter how many deluded or manipulative people claim to have seen them.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
02 Sep 12

Satan doesn't exist!
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." -- Verbal Kint, played by Kevin Spacey in The Usual Suspects