1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    11 Jan '19 13:57
    @sonship said
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke

I wrote about this a long long time ago. I probably talked about the history of demons with RJHINDS.

We debated about it. He insisted that ......
    Oh never mind. I doubt that you'd take it seriously.
    I have no objection to reading about demons. Indeed, Lord of the Rings is one of my favorite books.

Just don't mix fiction with fact.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Jan '19 14:242 edits
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke

I have no objection to reading about demons. Indeed, Lord of the Rings is one of my favorite books.

Just don't mix fiction with fact.

But Lord of the Rings went out of its way to tell a story something like the Bible. Not the other way around.

Much successful fiction has been so because to some degree it tried to imitate and expand on biblical themes.

There is significant fiction, prose and film which even in its title nods toward the Holy Bible -

Reap the Wild Wind
    Inherit the Wind
    East of Eden
    The Sun Also Rises
    The Handmaid's Tale
    Absolom, Absolom,
    The Seventh Seal
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Jan '19 14:25
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    From memory, there are several biblical references of demons being drawn to water (the demons being sent into a herd of pigs and rushing into water being one, but there are a number of others). When I have time I will pull up a few biblical examples.

There is also a Jewish tradition of not drinking an uncovered glass of water, due to the fear of swallowing a demon. (Again, based on biblical teachings).
    I would be interested in the scriptures if you find time; thanks.
  4. S. Korea
    Moves
    11 Jan '19 15:00
    @fmf said
    I have been conducting myself with "respect". Look again at my posts on this thread.

It feels a bit like you are stalking me, Philokalia.
    I am just thinking back to the time that you kept insistently referring to God as the 'torturer God' or some other nonsense, and when you referred to the theology of others as being nothing more than gross superstitions, never bothering to use the language that they themselves use to describe their beliefs.

So, NATURALLY, I am curious to see what you would do in the situation that I described.

Would you answer the question?
  5. S. Korea
    Moves
    11 Jan '19 15:01
    @divegeester said
    sonship started this thread about demons, he comments about demons attacking him and posts links to secular videos which he infers support his claims about demons; and this is a discussion forum he will be engaged by a variety of posters with a spectrum of experiences and varying beliefs about demons.

What is your problem with this?
    Nothing?

It was an honest question for FMF that I posed while not reading any of the rest of the thread.

However, I did watch a video of Prince on the subject of demons last summer. I found it to be really interesting.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Jan '19 15:04
    @divegeester said
    You’re obsessing.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jan '19 15:52
    @philokalia said
    I am just thinking back to the time that you kept insistently referring to God as the 'torturer God' or some other nonsense, and when you referred to the theology of others as being nothing more than gross superstitions, never bothering to use the language that they themselves use to describe their beliefs.

So, NATURALLY, I am curious to see what you would do in the situation that I described.

Would you answer the question?
    I think my posting is absolutely fine. I think I am dealing with sonship's notions and assertions about demons exactly as I wish to. You should post as you see fit. You should approach people with different beliefs from you in whatever way you wish.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jan '19 15:55
    @philokalia said
    I think "torturer god ideology" is an apt term for the ideology that sonship and others propagate here. I don't think it's 'nonsense'. Don't use the term if you think it's inappropriate. It expresses very well my perspective.
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    11 Jan '19 18:14
    @divegeester said
    Mark 5:13 is the passage I mentioned that had demons going into a herd of hogs, whereupon they immediately rush into the water.

Matthew 12:43 is another interesting example that has Jesus telling of an exorcized demon 'passing through waterless places, seeking rest.' (When it can't locate any water it tries to return to its victim).
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Jan '19 22:38
    @philokalia said
    Nothing?

It was an honest question for FMF that I posed while not reading any of the rest of the thread.

However, I did watch a video of Prince on the subject of demons last summer. I found it to be really interesting.
    If you have no issue with my particular summation of the thread so far that why were you challenging FMF on his interaction with sonship? Because what he did was entirely within my summation of the thread so far.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Jan '19 22:39
    @sonship said
    You’re obsessing.
    Sonship I am not obsessing, you are. Saying I am obsessing just because I said you are obsessing, is not debate.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Jan '19 22:431 edit
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Mark 5:13 is the passage I mentioned that had demons going into a herd of hogs, whereupon they immediately rush into the water.

Matthew 12:43 is another interesting example that has Jesus telling of an exorcized demon 'passing through waterless places, seeking rest.' (When it can't locate any water it tries to return to its victim).
    Interesting but hardly supportive of you claim about water earlier. I don’t want to make a big thing out of this, it’s just a matter of curiosity and I don’t think casual curiosity about demons is in any way productive, as I’ve already pointed out to sonship. Anyway thanks for digging up the scriptures.
  13. S. Korea
    Moves
    12 Jan '19 00:33
    @fmf said
    I think "torturer god ideology" is an apt term for the ideology that sonship and others propagate here. I don't think it's 'nonsense'. Don't use the term if you think it's inappropriate. It expresses very well my perspective.
    ... And there we have the one thing I wanted reaffirmed.

So, if someone who has a clean bill of health and is a very stable, normal member of the society insisted that they had a personal experience with demonic possession, I am just curious, how would you describe them?

Would you consider them sane? Or waht sort of terms woudl you use for them?

You can feel free to avoid the question, if you like. You are Daddy Cool, after all.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '19 00:381 edit
    @philokalia said
    ... And there we have the one thing I wanted reaffirmed.

So, if someone who has a clean bill of health and is a very stable, normal member of the society insisted that they had a personal experience with demonic possession, I am just curious, how would you describe them?

Would you consider them sane? Or waht sort of terms woudl you use for them?
    I would talk to them in the way I have been talking to people here for years. Would I consider them sane? Well, I have never - not once in the last decade or more - questioned the sanity of anyone here because of their belief in supernatural things. So your question is barking up the wrong tree.
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    12 Jan '19 09:25
    @divegeester said
    Interesting but hardly supportive of you claim about water earlier. I don’t want to make a big thing out of this, it’s just a matter of curiosity and I don’t think casual curiosity about demons is in any way productive, as I’ve already pointed out to sonship. Anyway thanks for digging up the scriptures.
    Not really a casual curiosity on my part. I've spoken to Rajk previously about my final dissertation on the 'personification of evil in world religions.' (Not well received as it happens by my tutor). The 'demon' 'water' claim is not something I have linked myself, but something I have come across in the writings of others. Again, I would have to research it, but there is also something in the Talmud about demons going into drinking water and Jews quoting a particular passage from the bible to protect themselves and prevent drinking down a demon.

All very strange stuff. (Though as an atheist and firm disbeliever in the existence of demons I have no qualms in talking about them).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree