1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Jan '19 14:061 edit
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke

Concerning the demons and the sea, and being expelled into the hogs ... etc

In a debate with RJHINDS I think I discussed this extensively.
    Unless I am mistaken, I think the thread debate was called "In Defense of Gap Theory" or something close to that. It was probably around 2014.
  2. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    13 Jan '19 14:32
    @sonship said
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke

Concerning the demons and the sea, and being expelled into the hogs ... etc

In a debate with RJHINDS I think I discussed this extensively.
    Unless I am mistaken, I think the thread debate was called "In Defense of Gap Theory" or something close to that. It was probably around 2014.
    Before my time. An interesting topic though.
  3. S. Korea
    Moves
    15 Jan '19 23:37
    @fmf said
    I think "torturer god ideology" is an apt term for the ideology that sonship and others propagate here. I don't think it's 'nonsense'. Don't use the term if you think it's inappropriate. It expresses very well my perspective.
    It doesn't really matter if you think it is an apt description...

For instance, I know many people who would regard Islam as a heresy or as a totally false religion, but in the presence of Muslims, or even in a public context, would they ever disparage it that way? Of course not. They do not want to provoke anger or resentment in others.

Surely, you understand that.

In this context, why do you persist with the phrase?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jan '19 23:47
    @philokalia said
    It doesn't really matter if you think it is an apt description...

For instance, I know many people who would regard Islam as a heresy or as a totally false religion, but in the presence of Muslims, or even in a public context, would they ever disparage it that way? Of course not. They do not want to provoke anger or resentment in others.

Surely, you understand that.

In this context, why do you persist with the phrase?
    The term "torturer god ideology" gets right to the heart of the matter and calls a spade a spade. I don't think it disparages sonship's ideology; I think it encapsulates it accurately and candidly. If you feel anger and resentment, and if you are feeling frustrated by your unsuccessful efforts to modify the posting of others, then so be it.
  5. S. Korea
    Moves
    16 Jan '19 00:41
    @fmf said
    The term "torturer god ideology" gets right to the heart of the matter and calls a spade a spade. I don't think it disparages sonship's ideology; I think it encapsulates it accurately and candidly. If you feel anger and resentment, and if you are feeling frustrated by your unsuccessful efforts to modify the posting of others, then so be it.
    LOL, no, it's fine.

I am actually just pointing out that you are socially obtuse and very rude.

If a man was in Indonesia with a room of people you enjoyed and kept referring to Muslims as 'heretics' and calling it 'the Mahometan heresy,' etc., you would probably be sympathetic with the Muslims that felt bad and were angered about this, wouldn't you? And you aren't even a Muslim.

But here you are -- on the internet, saying these things.

There's a lot of impolite words people use to describe folks like this 😆
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '19 00:44
    @philokalia said
    LOL, no, it's fine.

If a man was in Indonesia with a room of people you enjoyed and kept referring to Muslims as 'heretics' and calling it 'the Mahometan heresy,' etc., you would probably be sympathetic with the Muslims that felt bad and were angered about this, wouldn't you? And you aren't ...[text shortened]... , saying these things.

I think the way that I post is fine.
  7. S. Korea
    Moves
    16 Jan '19 10:41
    @fmf said
    I think the way that I post is fine.
    I bet it would be highly lauded in the Debates forum. 😉
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '19 13:00
    @philokalia said
    I bet it would be highly lauded in the Debates forum. 😉
    Who are you fixated on and stalking over there in my absence?
  9. S. Korea
    Moves
    17 Jan '19 02:20
    I don't stalk anyone.

You're the Main Poster here, aren't you? How can I comment in the Spirituality forum without coming across you?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Jan '19 06:55
    @philokalia said

If a man was in Indonesia with a room of people you enjoyed and kept referring to Muslims as 'heretics' and calling it 'the Mahometan heresy,' etc., you would probably be sympathetic with the Muslims that felt bad and were angered about this, wouldn't you? And you aren't even a Muslim.
    But he ...[text shortened]... et, saying these things.
    Well I’m a Christian and I also think your version of God is a “torturer god ideology”. Am I also being “rude” if I say so?
  11. S. Korea
    Moves
    17 Jan '19 11:51
    @divegeester said
    Well I’m a Christian and I also think your version of God is a “torturer god ideology”. Am I also being “rude” if I say so?
    Yes, of course that is rude.

Calling someone's God a torturer is rude -- when wouldn't it be rude?
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Jan '19 11:58
    @philokalia said
    Yes, of course that is rude.

Calling someone's God a torturer is rude -- when wouldn't it be rude?
    It wouldn't be rude when it's true. According to your belief, your version of God tortures people for eternity in hell by keeping them alive while allowing them to be burnt alive as a punishment.

You don't think this is torture?
  13. S. Korea
    Moves
    17 Jan '19 12:05
    @divegeester said
    It wouldn't be rude when it's true. According to your belief, your version of God tortures people for eternity in hell by keeping them alive while allowing them to be burnt alive as a punishment.

You don't think this is torture?
    Of course they are in torment in hell, but it is greatly different than torture because hell is what happens as a result of one's own sin, and torture is something that someone is subjected to by temporal authorities.

I understand that you may not accept such a distinction, but why not, out of respect for the way that people describe their own beliefs, simply agree to talk about it in terms of a belief in Hell, and not in a belief of a "torturer God?"

Is that not disrespectful and disparaging to use heavily loaded & biased phrases, and in public discourse, is there not an obligation to use agreeable and respectful terms?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '19 12:56
    @philokalia said
    Of course they are in torment in hell, but it is greatly different than torture because hell is what happens as a result of one's own sin, and torture is something that someone is subjected to by temporal authorities.
    This is the torturer god ideology.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '19 12:57
    @philokalia said
    Is that not disrespectful and disparaging to use heavily loaded & biased phrases, and in public discourse, is there not an obligation to use agreeable and respectful terms?
    I think using the term "torturer god ideology" is open and honest.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree