1. Joined
    21 Jul '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 12:211 edit
    Jews in the Second Temple period were notoriously strict in their religious (and otherwise) conduct, particularly in Judea and the surrounding area.

This might suggest that Jesus of Nazareth could have died chaste, but in truth, how can we really know? We can believe, and many do, but we cannot know.
  2. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 12:21
    Originally posted by divegeester
    The problem is nobody knows (as BW corectly pointed out) and furthermore nobody cares.

What i mean is that people will often speculates based on there belief system and viewpoint: Christians will not even consider it a possbility because invaldates the NT position, and most non-Christians don't really care and those who do probably hope he got laid at lot because a) blokes should, and b) because it invalidates the NT position.
    God knows, God cares.

"and most non-Christians don't really care".

Exactly then why are they posting in here?

I don't think anyone should unless they are married.
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 14:21
    Another point that all would need to consider is that Jesus was physically perfect in health. He had to be in order to be the sacrifice needed to take the place of Adam. He could still be alive on earth today if he hadn't been killed.
    Since he was perfect and if he had been married, what would his children have been like physically? Perfect like him or some hybrid offspring?
    Lots to think about here....
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 15:16
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes it does. Are you a native speaker of English?
    Virginty=maidenhead. Virginty does not apply to males. No maidenhead, no virginty to lose. Get it? I insist, go back to bio 101!
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 15:19
    Originally posted by bbarr
    The Oxford English Dictionary says otherwise about 'virgin'. See definitions 6 and 7. Hell, even Chaucer used 'virgin' in reference Jesus explicitly, and that was over 600 years ago.
    That does no make the term correct. Virginity=maidenhead.
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 15:25
    Originally posted by FMF
    People are queuing up here to make fools of themselves.

Do you really think this spiritual/doctrinal question is going to be settled by selecting only one out of half a dozen dictionary definitions and pretending that this freefloating selectivity is how one cancels out the premise of a question?
    Only the premise of abundantly foolish questions. That's all. You have got to be proud of yourself with so many people queuing up to oblige. After all, according to you Christians are fools, liberals=smart, nuanced. If you are so intrigued by virginity perhaps you ought to start by reading up on biology. Vastly less complex than theology. Then crack open the good book and try and understand instead of offering utterly stupid critique about what you evidently so poorly understand.
  7. Pepperland
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 15:50
    Originally posted by FMF
    Was Jesus a virgin? And what impact would it have on 21stC spirituality if he were not?
    I think he was, there is no reason to think otherwise.

but if he wasn't, so what? that doesn't make him any less holy.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 17:09
    Originally posted by josephw
    Gibber jabber.
    I pity the fool that questions the virginity of Christ.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 17:09
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Only the premise of abundantly foolish questions. That's all. You have got to be proud of yourself with so many people queuing up to oblige. After all, according to you Christians are fools, liberals=smart, nuanced. If you are so intrigued by virginity perhaps you ought to start by reading up on biology. Vastly less complex than theology. Then crack ope ...[text shortened]... tand instead of offering utterly stupid critique about what you evidently so poorly understand.
    You seem to be taking this ever so personally. I hope things sort themselves out for you.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 17:12
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    if he wasn't, so what? that doesn't make him any less holy.
    Well apparently there is the question of fornication, sin, lawlessness, immorality, pre-marital or extra-marital sex, ... so, what does your "so what?" mean?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 17:14
    crack open the good book and try and understand instead of offering utterly stupid critique about what you evidently so poorly understand.
    What critique is it you think I have offered?

You seem agitated. And somewhat incoherent.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 17:18
    Virginty does not apply to males.
    Is that so? I mean, really?
  13. Pepperland
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 17:21
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well apparently there is the question of fornication, sin, lawlessness, immorality, pre-marital or extra-marital sex, ... so, what does your "so what?" mean?
    what's sinful about not being a virgin?

are you concerned about his virginity?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 17:281 edit
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    what's sinful about not being a virgin?

are you concerned about his virginity?
    Neither of your two questions answer my question, which was: what does your "so what?" mean?
  15. Pepperland
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 17:34
    Originally posted by FMF
    Neither of your two questions answer my question, which was: what does your "so what?" mean?
    It means I don't really care.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree