1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 23:46
    Jehovah's Witnesses are clearly discriminatory against women.

From http://www.watchtower.org/e/20070115/article_02.htm
    The apostle Paul wrote: “I do not permit a woman . . . to exercise authority over a man, but to be in silence. For Adam was formed first, then Eve.” (1 Timothy 2:12, 13) This does not mean that a woman is to be completely silent at a meeting of the Christian congregation. She is to be silent in the sense of not getting into disputes with a man. She is not to belittle his appointed position or endeavor to teach the congregation.

Are there other Christian denominations that hold a similar view?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 23:542 edits
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne

The apostle Paul wrote: “I do not permit a woman . . . to exercise authority over a man, but to be in silence. For Adam was formed first, then Eve.” (1 Timothy 2:12, 13) This does not mean that a woman is to be completely silen ...[text shortened]... the congregation.

why dont you quote the Biblical verse in full, that indeed is where it is taken from, indeed there are more women who are Jehovahs witnesses than men, in some cases entire congregations made up of women. Why are they not leaving in their droves do you think, under such harsh discrimination.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Jul '10 00:031 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    why dont you quote the Biblical verse in full, that indeed is where it is taken from, indeed there are more women who are Jehovahs witnesses than men, in some cases entire congregations made of women. Why are they not leaving in their droves do you think, under such harsh discrimination.
    why dont you quote the Biblical verse in full, that indeed is where it is taken from, indeed there are more women who are Jehovahs witnesses than men, in some cases entire congregations made of women.

Do you really not understand that the verse was only partially quoted by the Watchtower?

Why are they not leaving in their droves do you think, under such harsh discrimination.

I don't know. There have been a lot of people throughout history that put up with discrimination for any number of reasons. Not having known very many JW women, I couldn't say. Why do you think they put up with it?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jul '10 00:091 edit
    ]why dont you quote the Biblical verse in full, that indeed is where it is taken from, indeed there are more women who are Jehovahs witnesses than men, in some cases entire congregations made of women.[/b]

Do you really not understand that the verse was only partially quoted by the Watchtower?

Why are they not leaving in their droves do you thi ons. Not having known very man JW women, I couldn't say. Why do you think they put up with it?
    yes i understand you nim-cow-poop, thats why i want you to quote it in full!

you dont know and yet you are able to instruct others about discrimination, well well, how many Jehovahs witness women have come forward to you and stated that they have been discriminated against.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Jul '10 00:19
    yes i understand you nim-cow-poop, thats why i want you to quote it in full!

you dont know and yet you are able to instruct others about discrimination, well well, how many Jehovahs witness women have come forward to you and stated that they have been discriminated against.
    how many Jehovahs witness women have come forward to you and stated that they have been discriminated against.

Evidently you have no grasp on the concept of discrimination. Not that I think it'll help, but who knows, maybe you'll surprise me.

Fromhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination:
    Discrimination is a sociological term referring to the treatment taken toward or against a person of a certain group in consideration based solely on class or category. Discrimination is the actual behavior towards another group. It involves excluding or restricting members of one group from opportunities that are available to other groups.

The following is based solely on gender and not ability:
    "She is to be silent in the sense of not getting into disputes with a man. She is not to belittle his appointed position or endeavor to teach the congregation."

Feel free to ask for clarification on the above.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jul '10 00:24
    [b]how many Jehovahs witness women have come forward to you and stated that they have been discriminated against.

Evidently you have no grasp on the concept of discrimination. Not that I think it'll help, but who knows, maybe you'll surprise me.

Fromhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination:
    [quote]Discrimination is a sociological term referr ...[text shortened]... or endeavor to teach the congregation."

Feel free to ask for clarification on the above.[/b]
    so you dont know any, have spoken to none personally and base your entire argument, not on personal experience, but a snippet from a watchtower magazine and a partially quoted scripture. is that what you are saying? weak, wimpy and sooooo not credible.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Jul '10 00:27
    so you dont know any, have spoken to none personally and base your entire argument, not on personal experience, but a snippet from a watchtower magazine and a partially quoted scripture. is that what you are saying? weak, wimpy and sooooo not credible.
    Evidently you are unable to comprehend the definition. Maybe you can ask your wife to explain it to you.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jul '10 00:33
    Evidently you are unable to comprehend the definition. Maybe you can ask your wife to explain it to you.
    definition, smefinition, you have nothing but a hollow intellectual argument based on a third hand definition, a scrap from the corner of a watchtower magazine containing a partially quoted scripture, like oh no man, were busted!

Look dude i gotta go, i am truly sorry that i spoke out of turn and that you were offended, i wont be able to post for sometime because i have asked the site owners to ban me from the forums for my own sake, so until we meet again, pistols at dawn - kind regards Robbie.
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Jul '10 00:351 edit
    definition, smefinition, you have nothing but a hollow intellectual argument based on a third hand definition, a scrap from the corner of a watchtower magazine containing a partially quoted scripture, like oh no man, were busted!

Look dude i gotta go, i am truly sorry that i spoke out of turn and that you were offended, i wont be able to post fo ...[text shortened]... from the forums for my own sake, so until we meet again, pistols at dawn - kind regards Robbie.
    I'll take it that your wife wasn't around to explain it to you or that you were too embarrassed to ask for help. You really shouldn't allow pride to get in the way.
  10. weedhopper
    Moves
    08 Jul '10 00:52
    Paul has long been accused of being a chauvinist, and with some (but not much) evidence. As has been repeated time after time, you must read the Bible in context, context, context! It was the 1st century. Women's rights wasn't even a twinkle in Susan Anthony's 10th great grandmother's eye yet. Men ruled the roost and women were expected to be meek and supportive. That doesn't make it right, it simply explains the thought pattern of the times.
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Jul '10 01:071 edit
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Paul has long been accused of being a chauvinist, and with some (but not much) evidence. As has been repeated time after time, you must read the Bible in context, context, context! It was the 1st century. Women's rights wasn't even a twinkle in Susan Anthony's 10th great grandmother's eye yet. Men ruled the roost and women were expected to be meek and ...[text shortened]... pportive. That doesn't make it right, it simply explains the thought pattern of the times.
    I understand that Paul's chauvinism was likely a reflection of the times.

I wanted to find out what denominations other than the JWs, if any, continue to hold onto that discriminatory thought pattern today as a part of their views.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jul '10 09:17

The apostle Paul wrote: “I do not permit a woman . . . to exercise authority over a man, but to be in silence. For Adam was formed first, then Eve.” (1 Timothy 2:12, 13) This does not mean that a woman is to be completely silen ...[text shortened]... the congregation.

I think the Catholic Church has an ambiguous view of women, though nothing like what you describe here. Obviously the Church excludes women from any sort of sacerdotal ministry (although many women are pastoral administrators.) In some churches, women may even wear a veil, which I think is a bit like internalised chauvanism. On the other hand, though, women do have theological qualifications in the Catholic Church and there even in women in the Roman curia. They may also have special canonical qualifications, advising bishops and religious about matters of church law.
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Jul '10 09:32

We all know that the JW cult is discriminating women. And homosexuals, and certainly others groups too.

But this is not uncommon for other christian denominations too.
    When the Catholic church let women be preasts, h%ll, catholic priests are not even permitted to have sex with women.

And religions i full. Only the pagan religion is holding women priests high. (Are there more religions that do that?)
  14. weedhopper
    Moves
    08 Jul '10 10:16
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    We all know that the JW cult is discriminating women. And homosexuals, and certainly others groups too.

But this is not uncommon for other christian denominations too.
    When the Catholic church let women be preasts, h%ll, catholic priests are not even permitted to have sex with women.

And religions i full. Only the pagan religion is holding women priests high. (Are there more religions that do that?)
    The Catholics to my knowledge, do NOT commission female priests. Neither do Lutherans or Southern Baptists. Methodists DO have female ministers (that's what we call our preachers).
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Jul '10 10:37
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    The Catholics to my knowledge, do NOT commission female priests. Neither do Lutherans or Southern Baptists. Methodists DO have female ministers (that's what we call our preachers).
    In the Swedich Church, the present bishop of Stockholm is Eva Brunne. The one before was Caroline Krook.

The Swedish church is definitively a Lutheran chruch.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree