1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Sep '22 02:59
    Do any ideas expressed in the course of debates and discussions on this forum qualify as "evil"?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Sep '22 09:21
    @fmf said
    Do any ideas expressed in the course of debates and discussions on this forum qualify as "evil"?
    The notion that an all-powerful, all-knowing, all-loving God entity has created an entire universe, all live on earth, all of mankind with the foreknowledge that he will personally be burning alive for all eternity the vast majority of his most loved creatures… has to be one of the most evil ideas ever expressed anywhere at anytime.
  3. Joined
    20 May '16
    Moves
    04 Sep '22 13:48
    @divegeester said
    The notion that an all-powerful, all-knowing, all-loving God entity has created an entire universe, all live on earth, all of mankind with the foreknowledge that he will personally be burning alive for all eternity the vast majority of his most loved creatures… has to be one of the most evil ideas ever expressed anywhere at anytime.
    Accept the greatness of God and the smallness of us, combined with all the creation you just mentioned.

We understand very little in Gods scope of view, knowledge and inner workings, maybe someday?

I wonder how much of the Bible is misunderstood just from reading as students with our hearts and minds distorted from the world, individual lives and the fact this isn’t heaven.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Sep '22 15:08
    @mike69 said
    Accept the greatness of God and the smallness of us, combined with all the creation you just mentioned.

We understand very little in Gods scope of view, knowledge and inner workings, maybe someday?

I wonder how much of the Bible is misunderstood just from reading as students with our hearts and minds distorted from the world, individual lives and the fact this isn’t heaven.
    Are you talking to me or did you post in the wrong thread by accident?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Sep '22 15:39

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Sep '22 16:03
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Look it up, you might actually learn something.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 Sep '22 18:07
    @fmf said
    How would you know if your moral compass points only to what you like?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Sep '22 21:45
    @kellyjay said
    Does your moral compass point to anything you don’t like?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Sep '22 01:272 edits
    @kellyjay said
    My moral compass reflects the values of my family and culture plus the laws governing the society I live in seen through the prism of my conscience.

Moral compasses rein us in, restrain us, and moderate our actions; they create taboos, prohibitions and standards that come from our inner conscience and they interlock with the values and imperatives that surround us. Your religious beliefs contribute to yours. My religious beliefs in the past contribute to mine.

It isn't about what I "like". Our moral codes prevent us from doing what we might otherwise like to do.

How fatuous can you get, KellyJay?

Have you not read or understood anything I have ever posted? Or are you just pretending so that you can repost one of your gormless simplistic propaganda riffs?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Sep '22 03:062 edits
    @kellyjay said
    Take a look at this.

YouTube

This is Jordan Peterson defining "God" and I find it very interesting indeed. It does not clash particularly with my worldview. Having said that, in a way, it is not helpful - and it's also an example of a trademark Peterson rhetorical gimmick: playing around with definitions and THEN not being consistent with what he has proposed by conflating it with other definitions.

Nevertheless, it is an interesting joined-up semi-theist perspective on the nature of morality's control over us [the "hierarchy of values" that governs each of us, regardless of the fact that its source is disputed] which is superior to your jejune, anterograde amnesic, go-to prattle.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Sep '22 04:18
    @fmf said
    My moral compass reflects the values of my family and culture plus the laws governing the society I live in seen through the prism of my conscience.

Moral compasses rein us in, restrain us, and moderate our actions; they create taboos, prohibitions and standards that come from our inner conscience and they interlock with the values and imperatives that surround us. Your relig ...[text shortened]... Or are you just pretending so that you can repost one of your gormless simplistic propaganda riffs?
    Your moral compass is internal to you, it may align with what is around you, but it
    is yours alone, as are your opinions.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Sep '22 04:30
    @kellyjay said
    Your moral compass is internal to you, it may align with what is around you, but it
    Each person's moral compass ~ their unique conscience, character, self-governance system ~ is internal to each of them and it is theirs alone as are their opinions and their moral perceptions, their moral decisions and their accountability for their moral actions. Of course, it is "internal to you"! What else would you expect? An app on your phone?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Sep '22 06:32

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '22 06:33
    @kellyjay said
    Earlier you asked FMF “how would you know [what’s right or wrong] if your moral compass only point to things you like?”

In light of that question to FMF I’m asking you again…

Does your moral compass point to anything you don’t like?
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '22 06:34
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Take it up with KallyJay who is a proponent of the doctrine of eternal suffering and it’s mechanics.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree