1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    14 Mar '05 16:22
    Originally posted by pcaspian
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    [b]
    It depends how outlandish the claim is; how trustworthy the person is; and what evidence the person can provide for the claim whether or not I believe the person's claim. If the claims is not true, for it to be a lie there must be intent to deceive and the person must know their claim is not true.

Ok ...[text shortened]... icate it. Is this a shortcoming of science or a failsafe measure to guarantee truth ?

[/b]
    Honestly? I'd investigate his claim and assume he probably misinterpreted a non supernatural experience; but, you never know. If he had something I felt was solid I'd listen.

I guess my perspective is most like your 3, but 'assuming he's deluded' is too harsh. It wouldn't be like when some people I know talk about how the TV is talking to them or anything...unless that was how my friend found God!

I know a lady who found God because her dead mother came back in the form of a cat and started talking to her outside her window. She's taking medication now for her delusional schizophrenia.

I would investigate the leap from evidence to conclusion with skepticism, which is a very legitimately scientific way to approach someone's claim.

I am not sure what sort of evidence I would even want to replicate, as usually it's the leap from evidence to conclusion that I find to be flawed. One of the phenomena that causes people to believe in God, astrology, that they are psychic, that their mother is psychic, or whatever, is selective perception. One may randomly run into various religious figures talking about various parts of the Bible, and one may glance at the Bible now and then and thing about some passage or another, but when the two happen together it MUST be God talking to you! How else could there be such a coincidence, one right after the other?
  2. Graceland.
    Moves
    14 Mar '05 23:14
    Originally posted by Maustrauser

1. Resurrection has never been seen before or since (Christ's resurrection). It breaks nearly all physical laws.

So you're claiming that people that have been declared dead have not come back to life ?
  3. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 11:38
    [b]
    1. Resurrection has never been seen before or since (Christ's resurrection). It breaks nearly all physical laws.

So you're claiming that people that have been declared dead have not come back to life ?[/b]
    I can't be much clearer can I?

Nobody who has died has been brought back to life.

Died = brain dead. No functional brain activity.
  4. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 18:40

You should research that. Right now you sound rather ignorant.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 05:05
    [b]

So you're claiming that people that have been declared dead have not come back to life ?[/b]
    So when it's said that Jesus was resurrected, you think it was the same thing as when a doctor declares someone dead but they come back to life? I can buy that, sure. There's nothing supernatural or amazing about that.
  6. Graceland.
    Moves
    17 Mar '05 00:30

Ok, so the only logical explanation for a 'resurrection' , even if a patient has been declared dead (ie: brain dead) is that the initial diagnosis was incorrect ?
  7. Graceland.
    Moves
    17 Mar '05 00:33
    So when it's said that Jesus was resurrected, you think it was the same thing as when a doctor declares someone dead but they come back to life? I can buy that, sure. There's nothing supernatural or amazing about that.

No indeed I believe Jesus was 'dead' in the traditional way. He was preaching for 3 days to the dead. See Isaiah.

Nope, I'm merely trying to contemplate what is considered a ressurection. IE: Say someone is declared brain dead, but we devise a method whereby that person could be brought back to live, would it only be a miracle if we didn't understand the process ?
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    17 Mar '05 07:33
    [b]So when it's said that Jesus was resurrected, you think it was the same thing as when a doctor declares someone dead but they come back to life? I can buy that, sure. There's nothing supernatural or amazing about that.

No indeed I believe Jesus was 'dead' in the traditional way. He was preaching for ...[text shortened]... ould be brought back to live, would it only be a miracle if we didn't understand the process ? [/b]
    Say someone is declared brain dead, but we devise a method whereby that person could be brought back to live, would it only be a miracle if we didn't understand the process ?

I think that religious people would label it a miracle if scientists could not explain how it happened.
  9. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    17 Mar '05 11:13
    Originally posted by Darfius
    Thank you. Ignorant of what pray tell?
  10. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    17 Mar '05 12:571 edit
    "Why should I worry about dying? It's not going to happen in my lifetime!"

Raymond Smullyan, in This Book Needs No Title
  11. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    17 Mar '05 19:27
    Thank you. Ignorant of what pray tell?
    "Nobody who has died has come back to life."
  12. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    17 Mar '05 23:47
    "Nobody who has died has come back to life."
    Perhaps you would be kind enough to tell me who has died and come back to life?

Let me guess, you are going to say 'Jesus'!

By definition, if he 'came back to life' then he wasn't dead! Perhaps simply 'stunned' like Monty Python's parrot.
  13. Maryland
    Moves
    18 Jun '05 13:36
    Just because you believe in an afterlife doesn't make it so. It is human nature to fear death whether you believe in God or not.667joe
  14. Arizona, USA
    Moves
    19 Jun '05 05:15
    ... Not only are they going to die, but a horrible future awaits them. In that respect I do feel empathy for a athiests at RHP...
    And if a Christian like you dies without having first given your material possessions to the poor, as Jesus commanded you to do, you too will spend eternity in Hell, alongside the atheists--if the Bible is true.
  15. An' it harms none...
    Moves
    19 Jun '05 19:48
    Being in the medical field I can say with some confidence that no brain activity = dead (assuming no medical intervention). With medical intervention it's a different story. I have watched countless religious types with life ending illnesses pray for recovery. They have all ended up the same way, dead.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree