1. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 18:22
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Women Who Make the World Worse
    Hmmmm......dont know about that one but anyway I hope everyone now understands what I mean by ontological priority and can now address the question stated in the first post 🙂
  2. London
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 19:06
    Originally posted by Vladamir no1
    Do we have ontological priority or do we possess an intrisic morality....
    personally I think ontology wins, all we have that's intrinsic is primal urges, the need to procreate etc. Other than that we're a tabla rasa...
    Personally, I disagree with you.
  3. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 21:32
    Its not cut and pasted, well from my brain it is....You shouldn't judge others by your lack of knowledge....i think Wittgeinstein once said, 'If you dont know, be quiet'....Good advice
    I would suggest virtually no one knows what you are talking about, since you have still not explained it in a way people here will understand.

Please don't ever quote Wittgenstein at me. Ever. Particularly not the Tractatus. I'm absolutely sure you haven't read it and don't understand it.

I'll ask you again, politely. Please explain what you meant by "ontological priority", in your own words, so we can discuss it meaningfully.
  4. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 21:38
    Then what was he speaking about???
    It is bound up entirely with the view of language, meaning and the world you find in the Tractatus. You can't simply drop it into conversation like a brick.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 21:59
    Unless, of course, it's just another brick in the wall.
  6. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 02:53
    Originally posted by dottewell
    I would suggest virtually no one knows what you are talking about, since you have still not explained it in a way people here will understand.
    Even I don't understand it.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 09:26
    Hmmmm......dont know about that one but anyway I hope everyone now understands what I mean by ontological priority and can now address the question stated in the first post 🙂
    Could you define what you mean by 'ontological' before expounding on 'ontological priorities'? Some poeple might disagree on what ontological means. Many might intepret it as a purely biological reductionism, some as existential, etc.
  8. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '06 12:20
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Could you define what you mean by 'ontological' before expounding on 'ontological priorities'? Some poeple might disagree on what ontological means. Many might intepret it as a purely biological reductionism, some as existential, etc.
    Ontological as in 'Being', in every sense, existential and biological
  9. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '06 12:252 edits
    I'm still waiting for you to repost your question in jargon-free English. Not, as I said, a cut-and-paste on existentialism.

[EDIT: Would you like me to have a go on your behalf? Do you really want to discuss this issue or did you just want use a few long words?]
  10. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '06 12:34
    Originally posted by dottewell
    I'm still waiting for you to repost your question in jargon-free English. Not, as I said, a cut-and-paste on existentialism.
    We're not talking about existentialism?????
    Have you got the right thread??!!
  11. London
    Moves
    13 Apr '06 12:37
    Are you saying that "biological being" is not "existential being"?
  12. London
    Moves
    13 Apr '06 12:39
    He's got the right thread. And, if you're saying what we all think you're saying (which, to be fair, is hard enough), you are indeed talking about existentialism.
  13. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '06 12:43
    In my studies, I came across the term "ontological priority" in two areas. One was metaphysics and the question of identity. You're clearly not talking about that, because you contrast "ontological priority" with "intrinsic morality".

So I'm guessing it's a mangled reference to Heidegger.
  14. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '06 12:45
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Are you saying that "biological being" is not "existential being"?
    No I'm not I'm just linguistically elaborating to exemplify an explaination that i'm slowly getting very tired of explaining...
  15. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '06 12:481 edit
    No I'm not I'm just linguistically elaborating to exemplify an explaination that i'm slowly getting very tired of explaining...
    Ah, got it now...

You're a moron.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree