1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    22 Oct '17 10:13
    Originally posted by @fmf
    So your clumsy question was based on the premise that, if religious beliefs have a 'liberating' effect on some religious people, then those beliefs would have the same 'liberating' effect of everybody with religious beliefs? Is that it? That seems a bit daft. Try engaging in a normal conversation instead of trying so hard to be contrary for the sake of it all the time. There was no contradiction between the two things I said.
    You say that your own personal religious experience was contrary to the quote, yet you are convinced that the quote is true. Nothing fishy about that.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Oct '17 10:16
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    You say that your own personal religious experience was contrary to the quote, yet you are convinced that the quote is true. Nothing fishy about that.
    What were the two observations I made about Brian Eno's perspective? You still seemed to be confused. There is nothing confusing or "fishy" about what I said at all. Quote the words I posted that are causing you this confusion.
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    22 Oct '17 10:25
    What were the two observations I made about Brian Eno's perspective? You still seemed to be confused. There is nothing confusing or "fishy" about what I said at all. Quote the words I posted that are causing you this confusion.
    You personally did not experience 'liberation' with religion yet you believe that Brain's quote where he sates that people get 'liberation' from religion is true. It's like saying when you smoked weed you didn't get high but then proclaiming that weed makes people high.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Oct '17 10:27
    You personally did not experience 'liberation' with religion yet you believe that Brain's quote where he sates that people get 'liberation' from religion is true.
    Quote the two observations I made about Brian Eno's perspective. You are still confused. Maybe the act of copy pasting the two things I said will make you read them.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Oct '17 10:28
    It's like saying when you smoked weed you didn't get high but then proclaiming that weed makes people high.
    And this is, of course, true for some people, as I'm sure you know. Weed does not make everyone high. Do you think it does?
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    22 Oct '17 10:33
    And this is, of course, true for some people, as I'm sure you know. Weed does not make everyone high. Do you think it does?
    FMF: People who smoke weed get high.
    Me: Did you ever get high on weed?
    FMF: No but people who smoke weed get high.
    Me: So why do you go around proclaiming it?
    FMF:.... People who smoke weed get high...
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Oct '17 10:37
    Quote my two observations about what Brian Eno said. Copy paste them verbatim, don't edit out any words, like the word "many" for example ~ leave it in there among the words I posted. Copy the words from page 2, without deletions or omissions, and paste them in reply to this.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Oct '17 11:391 edit
    What religion says to you, essentially, is: you’re not in control.

I don't know what religion says to one. But one of the fruits of the Holy Spirit is "self-control".

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness. meekness, SELF-CONTROL, against such things there is no law." (Gal. 5:22,23)
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Oct '17 11:44
    Originally posted by @sonship
    I don't know what religion says to one. But one of the fruits of the Holy Spirit is "self-control".
    Is this supposed "self control" a defining characteristic of a Christian? Where do people who don't believe there is any such thing as the "Holy Spirit" get their "self control" from?
  10. Joined
    15 Dec '13
    Moves
    22 Oct '17 15:49
    Is this supposed "self control" a defining characteristic of a Christian? Where do people who don't believe there is any such thing as the "Holy Spirit" get their "self control" from?
    They get some from their natural adamic nature. Same with the other virtues.

There is difference and I want that which stems from life with the Holy Spirit. That is reliable for the building up of God's kingdom.

The difference between the self control that Christ gives and the natural self-control is about ten minutes. The Holy Spirit can stand the tests in a man much more than just the natural man can stand in his own adamic virtue.
  11. Joined
    15 Dec '13
    Moves
    22 Oct '17 15:515 edits
    Who in human history would you like to point to as just AS exemplary of human virtue as Jesus Christ? That is who with his attributes having nothing to do with the Spirit of God ?

And let's see what they also would say about Jesus Christ, if they were after Him.

Names ? And I will consider the comparison. You have plenty of good people to pick from.

- sonship
  12. Joined
    15 Dec '13
    Moves
    22 Oct '17 15:581 edit
    The OP 'question' (topic) is for people who have religious beliefs. If ~ with your religious beliefs ~ you have something to offer on the OP, that would be interesting.
    Define "religious beliefs" please.

- sonship
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    22 Oct '17 16:36
    Shut up and roll me a spliff ...

Anything would be better than reading your nonsense. Talk about derailing a thread with utter rubbish.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Oct '17 21:29
    Originally posted by @gswilm
    Who in human history would you like to point to as just AS exemplary of human virtue as Jesus Christ? That is who with his attributes having nothing to do with the Spirit of God ?

And let's see what they also would say about Jesus Christ, if they were after Him.

Names ? And I will consider the comparison. You have plenty of good people to pick from.

- sonship
    This is not an answer to my question about "self control". Nor does it address the OP. If you want to talk about your admiration for Jesus as he is depicted by those who have built a cult of personality around him, start a thread about it.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Oct '17 21:33
    Originally posted by @gswilm
    Define "religious beliefs" please.

- sonship
    No. If the definition of "religious beliefs" is a stumbling block for you, and you are therefore unable or unwilling to address Brian Eno's comment, then so be it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree