1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Jan '08 02:13
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    It's not that I can't work it out logically. In that way, I have nothing to do with it. The simple fact is that having an omniscient being who knows what you WILL do, and then claiming free will (that you could do anything else) is logically IMPOSSIBLE. The two are directly contradictory statements, and both cannot be true, since they are mutually exclusive.
    Fascinating! You are a victim of one dimensional thinking here.

Just because God knows what we will do, doesn't mean He causes us to do it. God wouldn't be God if He didn't know absolutely everything. God can know everything while we have free will too.

By the way, I don't know how God knows everything, but He wouldn't be God if He didn't.

Don't you believe you have free will?
  2. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    11 Jan '08 02:39
    Originally posted by josephw
    Fascinating! You are a victim of one dimensional thinking here.

Just because God knows what we will do, doesn't mean He causes us to do it. God wouldn't be God if He didn't know absolutely everything. God can know everything while we have free will too.

By the way, I don't know how God knows everything, but He wouldn't be God if He didn't.

Don't you believe you have free will?
    NO, my thinking is not 1-dimensional. My thinking merely resides in the dimensions which actually exist. They are enough. I see no need to invent more.

But, I'm going to humour you, and go through the logic again.

God is omniscient, and knows everything which WILL happen.

Nothing can happen that God didn't know about a priori.

Thus, your choices are already made before you you "chose" them. You really could only do what God already knew you would.

Thus, whilst you may have the surface impression of free will, if your choices are known in advance, it is not free will at all.

I believe in a state of semi-free will, and I do not believe in your magic man.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree