1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 14:34
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    It was a joke about priests who molest children, who are criminals.
    Children can be hard to put up with at times, but it's a bit draconian to call them criminals.
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 14:351 edit
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Children can be hard to put up with at times, but it's a bit draconian to call them criminals.
    Don't call all people draconian! What a sick joke you have made!
  3. London
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 14:38
    Originally posted by rwingett
    The problem with religious people is that they have no sense of humor. Is your faith so fragile that it cannot withstand a joke?

I find your whole religion to be offensive, but I don't ask the moderators to ban it.
    Please.

There was a joke in that thread about Jesus, Mary and the adultress. I didn't find that joke offensive in the least.

But there was a significant difference between that joke and the one about the priest. As Halitose pointed out, the latter crossed the line.
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 14:38
    Originally posted by aardvarkhome
    The joke did not diminish the good done by priests. The cover-up by the church did far more to undermine the credibility of priests.

What does the 'yo mama' thread do for stereotyping? Who might that offend?
    I think the lesson here is that something is funny to a christian only when it's about someone else. But if anyone should make fun of christianity then their sanctimonious, self-righteous, hypocrisy becomes evident. They become offended and go whining to the moderators, like true martyrs, about how terribly oppressed they are.
  5. London
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 14:40
    Doctor - don't play semantic games.

As I asked aadvarkhome, what was the difference between that joke and one that stereotypes Germans as Nazis?
  6. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 14:452 edits
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Doctor - don't play semantic games.

As I asked aadvarkhome, what was the difference between that joke and one that stereotypes Germans as Nazis?
    This one was offensive to you. The other would be offensive to Germans, if there are any who aren't Nazis.
  7. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 14:58
    Originally posted by aardvarkhome
    its not allowed. No comment is allowed on child molesters who hide behind religion. We obviously approve of this behaviour and defend their right to wreck children's lives.

Bah humbug
    Don't get too upset. Most of the xtians on this forum are the spiritual equivalent of blind, deaf and dumb. Hardly surprising they'd alert your post out of existence.
  8. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 15:08
    Originally posted by David C
    Don't get too upset. Most of the xtians on this forum are the spiritual equivalent of blind, deaf and dumb. Hardly surprising they'd alert your post out of existence.
    It all part of the attempted "Thought control" used by religions, without that and torture they wouldnt exist.
  9. London
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 15:09
    The point of any joke is the punchline, the "I should've seen that coming" moment.

What was the punchline here? "I should've known the moment I saw 'priest' that he was going to be a child molester".

It was a stereotyping of priests. It wasn't a joke about that miniscule proportion of priests who're child molesters. If it were, it would've been stated up front - it would not be the punchline. The punchline would've been some characteristic of priest-criminals.

Compare it to the other joke about Jesus and the adultress.

I think humans need a sense of humour. But using humour to disguise bigotry is a different thing altogether.

You didn't read the joke and go, "Oh there's a nice joke; most people will find it enjoyable". You knew it would offend Christians; I daresay that's exactly what you wanted.
  10. London
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 15:10
    This one was offensive to you. The other would be offensive to Germans, if there are any who aren't Nazis.
    In other words, no difference. Both involve stereotyping a whole class of people as criminals.
  11. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 15:12
    In other words, no difference. Both involve stereotyping a whole class of people as criminals.
    Are you stereotyping all Nazis as criminals now?
  12. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 15:13
    It was a stereotyping of priests. It wasn't a joke about that miniscule proportion of priests who're child molesters. If it were, it would've been stated up front - it would not be the punchline. The punchline would've been some characteristic of priest-criminals.
    Get over yourself.
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 15:15
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Pah! There's nothing I enjoy more than a good laugh. With many things in life, there are places where one draws a line. Would you find jokes about how stupid your dad (if he's still around) is, funny? Just FYI, I didn't do any reporting.
    Yes, my father is still around. But his well being is in no way affected by whatever jokes you may happen to come up with at his expense. So on the outside chance that you do happen to come up with such a joke, go ahead and post it. If it's any good I'll forward it to him. He might get a laugh out of it.
  14. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 15:17
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Yes, my father is still around. But his well being is in no way affected by whatever jokes you may happen to come up with at his expense. So on the outside chance that you do happen to come up with such a joke, go ahead and post it. If it's any good I'll forward it to him. He might get a laugh out of it.
    RWingett's dad is so stupid, he thought Karl Marx was a comedy actor.

I hope that one makes the cut.
  15. London
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 15:18
    Are you stereotyping all Nazis as criminals now?
    Would you call a person who did not participate in, aid, abet or support Nazi war crimes a "Nazi"?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree