1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 15:19
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Would you call a person who did not participate in, aid, abet or support Nazi war crimes a "Nazi"?
    Only if he was German, yes.
  2. London
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 15:21
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Only if he was German, yes.
    So you consider all Germans who lived in WWII Germany Nazis?

What about Germans today?
  3. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 15:24
    So you consider all Germans who lived in WWII Germany Nazis?

What about Germans today?
    Basically, yes.
  4. London
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 15:34
    Basically, yes.
    Thank you.

Do you hold all American soldiers responsible for the crimes of Abu Ghraib? What about all Americans?
  5. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 15:373 edits
    I wasn't speaking ex cathedra, was I? Fooled you!

[in cathedra] I don't really think that all Germans past and present are Nazis. I do think that there were Nazis who were not criminals, however, just as there can be Republican Americans who are not criminals. [/in cathedra]
  6. Meddling with things
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 15:40
    Originally posted by David C
    Don't get too upset. Most of the xtians on this forum are the spiritual equivalent of blind, deaf and dumb. Hardly surprising they'd alert your post out of existence.
    Happily, the offending post in question was also the top of the recomended posts lists for a while. Tee hee.
  7. London
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 15:48
    Originally posted by aardvarkhome
    Happily, the offending post in question was also the top of the recomended posts lists for a while. Tee hee.
    You must be so proud of yourself.
  8. Meddling with things
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 16:02
    You must be so proud of yourself.
    yup.
  9. London
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 16:161 edit
    [in cathedra] I don't really think that all Germans past and present are Nazis. I do think that there were Nazis who were not criminals, however, just as there can be Republican Americans who are not criminals. [/in cathedra]
    Would it be fair, then, to characterize the Abu Ghraib crimes as Republican [American] crimes?
  10. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 16:23
    Would it be fair, then, to characterize the Abu Ghraib crimes as Republican [American] crimes?
    It would be fair to characterize them as American crimes. They were committed by people acting as agents of America. America should be held accountable for having agents that carried out those crimes.

It would not be fair to characterize them as Republican crimes. They were not committed by people acting as agents of the Republican party.
  11. Meddling with things
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 16:32
    Shall I post an offensive atheist joke?
  12. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 16:33
    It would be fair to characterize them as American crimes. They were committed by people acting as agents of America. America should be held accountable for having agents that carried out those crimes.

It would not be fair to characterize them as Republican crimes. They were not committed by people acting as agents of the Republican party.
    It would be a fair call though if Germany was still run by the Nazi Party and the Fuhrership was passed down to the present and the Third Reich still existed.

Fascism still exists and it's still coming from the same source!
  13. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 16:35
    Originally posted by aardvarkhome
    Shall I post an offensive atheist joke?
    How about this one.

Do all atheists know each other?
    They will eventually, in hell.
  14. The sky
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 16:55
    I wasn't speaking ex cathedra, was I? Fooled you!

Thanks for providing a nice example for the difference between a joke and being serious. I am German, and if someone would seriously believe that all Germans are nazis and/or criminals, I would find that offensive. But I laughed quite a bit about "This one was offensive to you. The other would be offensive to Germans, if there are any who aren't Nazis.", which I understood as a joke. To tell a joke which stereotypes Germans as nazis is not at all the same as saying that all Germans are nazis.

Whether I find a joke offensive or not depends on a lot of factors, though. It depends on who is telling the joke, to whom (I find it much worse if jokes are told behind the back of the group they are referring to), and how.
  15. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    17 Sep '05 17:10
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    To tell a joke which stereotypes Germans as nazis is not at all the same as saying that all Germans are nazis.
    That says it all. It's something that most people never get.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree