1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 01:47
    I contend that a constant embrace of doubt offers people a way to resist the intellectual and spiritual constraints of ideology, a means of resisting religionist dogma and its purported "authority", and resisting speculation being turned into "certainty" which in turn becomes a crutch which so often seems, in turn, to extinguish genuine curiosity. Doubt helps to save us from turning any of these things into - or allowing them to become - "a meaning of life", which I think is rather tragic. Doubt is healthy. It is positive. It is life-affirming. It is the essence of informed free will.

Does anyone see doubt in a similar light?
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 02:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    I contend that a constant embrace of doubt offers people a way to resist the intellectual and spiritual constraints of ideology, a means of resisting religionist dogma and its purported "authority", and resisting speculation being turned into "certainty" which in turn becomes a crutch which so often seems, in turn, to extinguish genuine curiosity. Doubt helps to ...[text shortened]... ing. It is the essence of informed free will.

Skeptics :-)

http://www.positiveatheism.org/writ/saganbur.htm
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 02:09
    Originally posted by FMF
    I contend that a constant embrace of doubt offers people a way to resist the intellectual and spiritual constraints of ideology, a means of resisting religionist dogma and its purported "authority", and resisting speculation being turned into "certainty" which in turn becomes a crutch which so often seems, in turn, to extinguish genuine curiosity. Doubt helps to ...[text shortened]... ing. It is the essence of informed free will.

I do. It's a good tool to avoid wasting too much time following bad ideas, which seem far more numerous than good ideas.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 02:10
    Originally posted by FMF

Are you certain of this? 😛
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 02:32
    Originally posted by whodey
    Are you certain of this? 😛
    A genuine answer would be more interesting.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 05:13
    Originally posted by FMF

I agree with some of this insomuch as having doubts myself. However doubt is not for me, the same thing as unbelief. Doubt springs (as you frame it) from a natural inquisitiveness from never being 100% sure, from needing to rely on faith. And there is where many will part intellectual company. My religion is my faith; except it's not a religion because my doubt prevents it becoming that; it's still faith though, it's given, and not actually a choice.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 05:27
    Originally posted by FMF

(James 1:6-8) . . .for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven by the wind and
    blown about.  In fact, let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from
    Jehovah;  he is an indecisive man, unsteady in all his ways.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 05:432 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    (James 1:6-8) . . .for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven by the wind and
    blown about.  In fact, let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from
    Yes, well, what else would a writer trying to establish corporate Christianity - a package of ideology, dogma and speculations-turned-into-certainties, write?
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 05:44
    Hmm, you cut off the first part of James 1:6. I'd like to go back a bit further.
    5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. 6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7 That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.
    The part I find interesting here is 'if you lack wisdom'. I don't read this as a guarantee that God will give you anything and everything you ask for, but rather that you will be given wisdom. Am I reading this wrong?
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 06:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes, well, what else would a writer trying to establish corporate Christianity - a package of ideology, dogma and speculations-turned-into-certainties, write?
    mere unsubstantiated opinion will not carry it FMF, you may like to try to make reference to the actual content of the quotation.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 06:082 edits
    mere unsubstantiated opinion will not carry it FMF, you may like to try to make reference to the actual content of the quotation.
    Your religionist literature tells you to be certain that your religionist literature is right. This is not for me, robbie.

The content? I am not a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. I do not acknowledge "the Lord" as you perceive and present him, let alone expect to receive anything from him. I am not double-minded and unstable in all I do. There. Refuted, as far as my spiritual path is concerned.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 06:14
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Hmm, you cut off the first part of James 1:6. I'd like to go back a bit further.[quote]5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. 6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7 T ...[text shortened]... d everything you ask for, but rather that you will be given wisdom. Am I reading this wrong?
    Yes i think you are correct, its not an carte blanche guarantee that you will receive
    everything or anything but wisdom, yes, that's sound. Never the less contrast this with
    FMF's assertions that doubt is a positive quality leading to intellectual curiosity or such
    like terms, likely to lead to a moral morass of greyness subject to the winds of social
    convention which is the darling of all secular liberalists, whereas he here we are talking
    of practicalities, of the application of knowledge in order to act wisely with discernment.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 06:16
    Yes i think you are correct, its not an carte blanche guarantee that you will receive
    everything or anything but wisdom, yes, that's sound. Never the less contrast this with
    FMF's assertions that doubt is a positive quality leading to intellectual curiosity or such
    like terms, likely to lead to a moral morass of greyness subject to the winds o ...[text shortened]...
    of practicalities, of the application of knowledge in order to act wisely with discernment.
    What "moral morass" are you alleging there is in my life, robbie?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 06:17
    Originally posted by FMF
    Your religionist literature tells you to be certain that your religionist literature is right. This is not for me, robbie.

The content? I am not a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. I do not acknowledge "the Lord" as you perceive and present him, let alone expect to receive anything from him. I am not double-minded and unstable in all I do. There. Refuted, as far as my spiritual path is concerned.
    Hmmmm, i think you are very sensitive to social convention FMF, politically correct
    speech and liberal values which change from epoch to epoch, blown by the
    ever-changing seas of secular morality.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 06:191 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    What "moral morass" are you alleging there is in my life, robbie?
    I am not alleging anything in your life FMF, i am merely asserting that because of
    changes in social convention, your own morality has been formed, are you denying
    that this is the case? Indeed one is left with the question, as you have stated your not
    a religionists, where then does the values which form your morality come from? One is
    left with the conclusion, from the society which surrounds you, where else? If this is
    the case, then clearly its susceptible to change, is it not?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree