1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 15:59
    Just wonder about the views here of this reality TV show in the US for firing this guy for speaking his views on these subjects?

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/duck-dynasty-phil-robertson-equates-homosexuality-bestiality-article-1.1551556
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 16:10
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Just wonder about the views here of this reality TV show in the US for firing this guy for speaking his views on these subjects?

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/duck-dynasty-phil-robertson-equates-homosexuality-bestiality-article-1.1551556
    What do you think about it?

As you are bringing the topic up.
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 16:17
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    What do you think about it?

As you are bringing the topic up.
    Lol. I asked the question.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 16:25
    Lol. I asked the question.
    You did indeed.

My question is why?

What about this story do you think merits attention?

People get fired from tv shows all the time.
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 16:43
    You did indeed.

My question is why?

What about this story do you think merits attention?

People get fired from tv shows all the time.
    Hummm. Possibly to get ones viewpoints to this situation and wanting to know why this was even an issue with his comments?
    This country is supposed to be one that anyone can practise this "freedom of speach" with their own views of life but when they do it, they are penalized.
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 17:02
    Hummm. Possibly to get ones viewpoints to this situation and wanting to know why this was even an issue with his comments?
    This country is supposed to be one that anyone can practise this "freedom of speach" with their own views of life but when they do it, they are penalized.
    Ahhh. So that's your issue...

No this isn't a free speech issue.

He has the right to say what he thinks...

He does not have the right to have a TV show.

He said stuff that (rightly) negatively impacts peoples image of him and his tv show and the
    network that makes/airs it.

That network is entitled to take action to maintain their image as they see fit.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/12/19/duck_dynasty_and_the_1st_amendent.html

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/12/19/duck_dynasty_bobby_jindal_sarah_palin_see_duck_dynasty_suspension_as_a_first.html
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 17:03
    "Freedom of speech" just means that gov't isn't supposed to penalize you for what you say.

It does not spare you the repercussions of saying idiotic things to people.
  8. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 17:13

I have never seen the show. But he should have the right to say what he wants.
  9. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 17:17
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    I have never seen the show. But he should have the right to say what he wants.
    He does have that right. He just exercised it.

The company that employs him then exercised their right to not broadcast him on
    their network.

All is good here... Apart from the fact that he's a racist homophobic bigot in the first place.
  10. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 18:03
    I can't help wondering.

If the anchor on JWTV was to announce that he now believed that anyone encouraging someone to refuse a blood transfusion was guilty of attempted murder, whether the same desire to preserve free speech would apply?
  11. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 18:20
    He does have that right. He just exercised it.

The company that employs him then exercised their right to not broadcast him on
    their network.

All is good here... Apart from the fact that he's a racist homophobic bigot in the first place.
    Hummm? So you condemn him for his viewpoint but yet you are doing the same it seems. In fact he has not said anything personal to you or anyone else in his comments but yet it's ok for you to do that to him?
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 18:24

Well it is a DUCK dynasty for god's sake....
  13. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 18:33
    Hummm? So you condemn him for his viewpoint but yet you are doing the same it seems. In fact he has not said anything personal to you or anyone else in his comments but yet it's ok for you to do that to him?
    Huh?

So you condemn him for his viewpoint but yet you are doing the same it seems.

Doing the same as what?

In fact he has not said anything personal to you or anyone else in his comments but yet it's ok for you to do that to him?

I didn't suspend him, the network did.

I have not in fact done anything to him.

What are you talking about???
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 18:36
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    I can't help wondering.

If the anchor on JWTV was to announce that he now believed that anyone encouraging someone to refuse a blood transfusion was guilty of attempted murder, whether the same desire to preserve free speech would apply?
    Nice one Centurion.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 18:372 edits

LOL, i like his approach, homosexuality is illogical, thats interesting. But its a pity that anyone who takes a stance against something that is unnatural should be suspended, but its a reflection of the times we live in. Don't dare draw attention to the highest ever AIDS figures among homosexual men since records began, they cannot handle reality.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree