1. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    16 May '08 16:01
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I did some digging around. The vocalisation I quoted is a common English rendering, but it seems the issue more complicated than I realised (and I didn't think it was simple):
    http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-hebrew/2001-May/010804.html
    The phase in question from Exodus 3:14—aleph-hay-yod-hay aleph-shin-reish aleph-hay-yod-hay. In conventional English transliteration AHYH AShR AHYH.

Original Hebrew text has no vowel points; they were developed much later by the Masoretes to try to standardize pronunciation (and meaning)—Torah scrolls today remain unpointed. Although perhaps archaic Hebrew, it is not gibberish. Scholar and translator Martin Buber asserted that the phrase should be taken in the future tense. My Orthodox (Stone Edition) Tanach translates it as “I Shall Be As I Shall Be.”

The Jewish Publication Society (JPS) version leaves it untranslated, and transliterated as Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh, with the following footnote: “Meaning of Hebr. Uncertain; variously translated: ‘I Am That I Am’; ‘I Am Who I Am’; ‘I Will Be What I Will Be’; etc.”
  2. Standard membertheprotectors
    Gandalf's Hero.
    And I should say????
    Moves
    16 May '08 16:58
    Originally posted by vistesd
    The phase in question from Exodus 3:14—aleph-hay-yod-hay aleph-shin-reish aleph-hay-yod-hay. In conventional English transliteration AHYH AShR AHYH.

Original Hebrew text has no vowel points; they were developed much later by the Masoretes to try to standardize pronunciation (and meaning)—Torah scrolls today remain unpointed. Although perhaps ...[text shortened]... n; variously translated: ‘I Am That I Am’; ‘I Am Who I Am’; ‘I Will Be What I Will Be’; etc.”
    You are correct...
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 May '08 17:01
    Because it enables me to believe in God, without having to believe in God.

In the context of this thread -- why do you think Einstein said he believed in Spinoza's God?
    Maybe he didn't have a relationship of his own with God, but at the
    same time felt God could be real and others had a better handle
    on the subject?
    Kelly
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 May '08 12:09
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Maybe he didn't have a relationship of his own with God, but at the
    same time felt God could be real and others had a better handle
    on the subject?
    Kelly
    No, he didn't believe in the God you are thinking of. Your misunderstanding of the word as Bosse de Nage used it only serves to highlight my argument that such usage is destined to cause unnecessary confusion. I strongly suspect that that is the intention of those who so use it.
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    20 May '08 12:271 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    No, he didn't believe in the God you are thinking of. Your misunderstanding of the word as Bosse de Nage used it only serves to highlight my argument that such usage is destined to cause unnecessary confusion. I strongly suspect that that is the intention of those who so use it.
    How else am I supposed to refer to Spinoza's God than by the words 'Spinoza's God'?
    KJ only has to read Einstein's quotes and the links on Spinoza et al provided in this thread to understand that Spinoza's God differs from the traditional patriarchal God. You might as well accuse Einstein of attempting to sow confusion. I object to your playing thought policeman!
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 May '08 13:051 edit
    How else am I supposed to refer to Spinoza's God than by the words 'Spinoza's God'?
    KJ only has to read Einstein's quotes and the links on Spinoza et al provided in this thread to understand that Spinoza's God differs from the traditional patriarchal God.
    I suppose the fault partly lies with Spinoza. If he called his concept an 'Elephant' it would have caused endless confusion with other Elephants for the rest of history whenever someone wanted to refer to Spinozas concept.

What I do object to though is when you or others with similar beliefs use the word 'God' simply to refer to the concept even when you are not specifically trying to reference Spinoza.

Yesterday I was rereading the God Delusion and I notice that Dawkins agrees with me when it comes to this issue. I must try and bring the book to work so I can give the exact quote.
    I also realized that I had misunderstood the meaning of 'personal God'. According to Dawkins a personal God is an entity with a personality and consciousness, I thought it meant a God that gets personally involved with people. With that in mind it is quite clear that both Spinoza and Einstein were atheists.

You might as well accuse Einstein of attempting to sow confusion. I object to your playing thought policeman!
    I do not know whether Einstein intended to sow confusion, but he most definitely did.
    I don't know what you mean by 'playing thought policeman'. I am not telling you how to think, merely pointing out that your use of certain words inappropriately is bound to lead to confusion and I suspect that in this instance it is intentional - so far I don't think you have even denied that.
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    20 May '08 13:46

Yesterday I was rereading the God Delusion and I notice that Dawkins agrees with me when it comes to this issue. I must try and bring the book to work so I can give the exact quote.
    I also realized that I had misunderstood the meaning of 'personal God'. According to Dawkins a personal God is an entity with a personality and consciousness, I thought it ...[text shortened]... with people. With that in mind it is quite clear that both Spinoza and Einstein were atheists.
    'However, in 1929 - during a rare interview with a journalist - Einstein was directly asked if he believed in the God of Spinoza. "I can't answer with a simple yes or no," he replied. "I am not an atheist [and] I do not know if I can define myself as a pantheist." '

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/print/23008

Just for kicks: 'Milton Friedman wrote: "I am an agnostic. I do not ‘believe in’ God, but I am not an atheist, because I believe the statement, ‘There is a god’ does not admit of being either confirmed or rejected."'

Incidentally, from what I can tell, the God of Islam is also an impersonal God. Does that make Muslims atheists too?
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 May '08 13:54
    Incidentally, from what I can tell, the God of Islam is also an impersonal God. Does that make Muslims atheists too?
    I don't understand how that is possible. I am clearly missing something. Surely to be able to talk to Muhammad required him to be personal?
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    20 May '08 13:551 edit
    I don't understand how that is possible. I am clearly missing something. Surely to be able to talk to Muhammad required him to be personal?
    Gabriel dictated the Koran, if I remember correctly.

Parallels have often been drawn between Spinozan and Islamic thought. On the off chance that you're interested ... http://www.pitt.edu/~frit/ancrage/ancrage2/fagley.html
  10. Standard membertheprotectors
    Gandalf's Hero.
    And I should say????
    Moves
    20 May '08 13:591 edit
    'However, in 1929 - during a rare interview with a journalist - Einstein was directly asked if he believed in the God of Spinoza. "I can't answer with a simple yes or no," he replied. "I am not an atheist [and] I do not know if I can define myself as a pantheist." '

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/print/23008

Just for kicks: 'Milton Friedman ell, the God of Islam is also an impersonal God. Does that make Muslims atheists too?
    Yes the do belive a god now if its the same as the jews or the christians I dont know.
    But I do question if they belive in anything right now of the simple reson. They think blow people of a diffrent faith then their own is the right thing to do.
    Witch I personaly think is REALLY wrong...
    But now how did we get here?
    Moves
    20 May '08 14:02
    Gabriel dictated the Koran, if I remember correctly.

Parallels have often been drawn between Spinozan and Islamic thought. On the off chance that you're interested ... http://www.pitt.edu/~frit/ancrage/ancrage2/fagley.html
    I don't know much about Islam. I'll try and remember to ask next time I meet one of my Muslim friend whether they believe in a personal God.
  12. Standard membertheprotectors
    Gandalf's Hero.
    And I should say????
    Moves
    29 May '08 14:16
    I don't know much about Islam. I'll try and remember to ask next time I meet one of my Muslim friend whether they believe in a personal God.
    Did he?!?!?
    Remeber one thing mate the muslim faith is only 1500 years old and Gabriel was well born years befor that. So I think it is the other way around. But nice try though...
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 May '08 14:19
    Originally posted by theprotectors
    Did he?!?!?
    Remeber one thing mate the muslim faith is only 1500 years old and Gabriel was well born years befor that. So I think it is the other way around. But nice try though...
    I cant figure out what you are saying. Are you able to write it more clearly?
    I though Gabriel was an Angel and thus not born - and according to knightmeister probably independent of time anyway.
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    29 May '08 14:27
    Anyone who thinks Einstein's beliefs justify their own should rethink their way of forming opinions.
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    29 May '08 22:21
    I cant figure out what you are saying. Are you able to write it more clearly?
    I though Gabriel was an Angel and thus not born - and according to knightmeister probably independent of time anyway.
    The bi-cameral mind theory puts an interesting slant on divine communication.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree