1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 13:57
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Romans1009?
    On what evidence do I base the fulfillment of prophecies? If you’re asking me if I believe the writers of the Gospels accurately and truthfully recorded the events they saw, my answer is “yes.”
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 14:06
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    On what evidence do I base the fulfillment of prophecies? If you’re asking me if I believe the writers of the Gospels accurately and truthfully recorded the events they saw, my answer is “yes.”
    No. I’m asking you what EVIDENCE you have for a neutral observer that these prophesies are genuine and the text describing thier fulfilment are not fraudulent?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 14:201 edit
    No. I’m asking you what EVIDENCE you have for a neutral observer that these prophesies are genuine and the text describing thier fulfilment are not fraudulent?
    I think he is saying that his certainty about its truth is somehow evidence (for the neutral observer, for example), in and of itself.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 14:21
    The fact the prophecies were written centuries before their fulfillment is evidence that the prophecies are genuine.

And I trust the veracity of the Gospel writers in accurately describing events they saw. In some cases, such as Isaiah chapter 53, no one expected the Messiah to be a “suffering servant,” including the Apostles, who were not Biblically learned men, but also including the Pharisees, who were Biblically learned men.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 14:24
    The fact the prophecies were written centuries before their fulfillment is evidence that the prophecies are genuine.

And I trust the veracity of the Gospel writers in accurately describing events they saw. In some cases, such as Isaiah chapter 53, no one expected the Messiah to be a “suffering servant,” including the Apostles, who were not Biblically learned men, but also including the Pharisees, who were Biblically learned men.
    I trust the veracity of the gospels too, but that hardly make them “evidence” to someone else does it!?
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 14:54
    I trust the veracity of the gospels too, but that hardly make them “evidence” to someone else does it!?
    I guess it depends on how they read them. God never intended His existence to be provable and even people who witnessed Jesus Christ’s miracles refused to believe He was the Messiah.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 14:57
    God never intended His existence to be provable and even people who witnessed Jesus Christ’s miracles refused to believe He was the Messiah.
    It you think you can overcome God’s intent and prove his existence with some “evidence” 🙄

I rest my case.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 15:06
    It you think you can overcome God’s intent and prove his existence with some “evidence” 🙄

I rest my case.
    I’ve never said God’s existence could be proven or that Jesus Christ’s Resurrection could be proven.

I’ve said enough evidence exists for one to reasonably conclude that both are true. But a degree of faith is required, as it is in nearly everything.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 15:11
    I’ve never said God’s existence could be proven or that Jesus Christ’s Resurrection could be proven.

I’ve said enough evidence exists for one to reasonably conclude that both are true. But a degree of faith is required, as it is in nearly everything.
    The OP asks for it.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 15:20
    Haven't you said that Jesus Christ’s Resurrection could be proven beyond a reasonable doubt like dozens of times?
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 15:39
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Haven't you said that Jesus Christ’s Resurrection could be proven beyond a reasonable doubt like dozens of times?
    I’ve never said it could be proven. And “proven beyond a reasonable doubt” is an oxymoron anyway. Either something is proven or it’s not.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 15:41
    The OP asks for it.
    Asks for evidence? I’ve specified where *some* of the evidence is for Christ’s Resurrection. Apparently no one felt like reading the article.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 15:501 edit
    I’ve never said it could be proven. And “proven beyond a reasonable doubt” is an oxymoron anyway. Either something is proven or it’s not.
    So a person can be reasonable and still conclude that the evidence does not constitute proof and does not amount to enough to dispel doubts about its veracity?
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 15:52
    Asks for evidence? I’ve specified where *some* of the evidence is for Christ’s Resurrection. Apparently no one felt like reading the article.
    I barely read your posts let alone chase down the links you post.
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 16:11
    The fact the prophecies were written centuries before their fulfillment is evidence that the prophecies are genuine...
    Of course it isn't. Not if later events were made to fit the prophecies.

Why is it (as Bart Ehrman points out) we have relatively good records for the reign of Caesar Augustus, and there is no mention anywhere in any of them of an empire-wide census for which everyone had to register by returning to their ancestral home?'

You don't recognize that as a flaw in Luke's account or that perhaps his primary objective was to have Jesus fulfill earlier prophecies? Really?!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree