1. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    06 Dec '06 13:20
    I realize that the thread title will get lots of views but why not!
    In the Qu'ran thread I stated that I am personally certain that there is no God and one of the many reasons for that is that in my opinion there is significant evidence that there is no God. Several people said they would be interested in knowing what that evidence is.
    I don't think a thread titled Qu'ran is quite the right place for it.
    I need to think about it over time but will try to give as many bits of 'evidence' as I can think of. I would welcome input from anyone else with evidence too.
    Firstly, what do I mean by God. I mean specifically a being/entity that would fit most of the general beliefs of the Christian, Jewish and Islamic religions.
    I do not mean anything that you choose to assign the name God to such as the universe, a pop star or any other such random entity.

    I will start with:
    Absence of evidence is evidence of absence.
    Although this is clearly not true for all things it is true in certain cases including this one. If you have never met your mother and have no evidence that she is alive then it is evidence that you do not have a living mother who is capable of communicating with you and wants to communicate with you.
    As I have seen no convincing evidence that God exists or is trying to communicate with me, it makes me sure that there isn't a God who exists and is trying to communicate with me.
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    83887
    06 Dec '06 13:23
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    As I have seen no convincing evidence that God exists or is trying to communicate with me, it makes me sure that there isn't a God who exists and is trying to communicate with me.
    Obviously you didn't see Allah's name written on the fish 🙂

    Have you tried communicating with God?
  3. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    06 Dec '06 13:41
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Obviously you didn't see Allah's name written on the fish 🙂
    I may have seen it (a photo), I don't remember. But if I did, then it was not convincing. Nor was the picture of Jesus on the toast.
    Check out:
    http://googlesightseeing.com/2006/12/04/face-of-santa-claus/

    Have you tried communicating with God?
    I have, with no success.
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '06
    Moves
    112265
    06 Dec '06 14:18
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I realize that the thread title will get lots of views but why not!
    In the Qu'ran thread I stated that I am personally certain that there is no God and one of the many reasons for that is that in my opinion there is significant evidence that there is no God. Several people said they would be interested in knowing what that evidence is.
    I don't think a t ...[text shortened]... , it makes me sure that there isn't a God who exists and is trying to communicate with me.
    If you so strongly believe that there is no God, why would you go through all this trouble to prove a viewpoint to people that you know you won't be able to influence?
    No self respecting Jew, Christian, or any other religous person would even consider entertaining this stupid statement of yours.
    You are either an ass, or maybe you are searching and not quite sure what for yourself?
  5. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    06 Dec '06 14:30
    Originally posted by Lucardo
    If you so strongly believe that there is no God, why would you go through all this trouble to prove a viewpoint to people that you know you won't be able to influence?
    No self respecting Jew, Christian, or any other religous person would even consider entertaining this stupid statement of yours.
    You are either an ass, or maybe you are searching and not quite sure what for yourself?
    I am not trying to prove my view point. Only explain it.

    I am not expecting anyone to consider entertaining it.

    Are you able to back up your assertion that it is stupid or are you just resorting to insults.

    And why are you posting here when I have clearly stated that I wont even consider entertaining your view point?
  6. Joined
    06 Mar '06
    Moves
    112265
    06 Dec '06 14:45
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I am not trying to prove my view point. Only explain it.

    I am not expecting anyone to consider entertaining it.

    Are you able to back up your assertion that it is stupid or are you just resorting to insults.

    And why are you posting here when I have clearly stated that I wont even consider entertaining your view point?
    If you feel angry for being insulted i apollogise.
    -People get angry when they are wronged.
    -To believe in "wrong", you must allso believe in "right"
    -If you believe in "right" and "wrong", you must have some system of values present in your life.
    - If you have a value system in your life, you must surely believe in "good" and "evil"
    -Good and Evil cannot exist without some form of higher being present.
    -Therefore your viewpoint has a flaw.
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Joined
    09 Sep '01
    Moves
    26187
    06 Dec '06 14:57
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I realize that the thread title will get lots of views but why not!
    In the Qu'ran thread I stated that I am personally certain that there is no God and one of the many reasons for that is that in my opinion there is significant evidence that there is no God. Several people said they would be interested in knowing what that evidence is.
    I don't think a t ...[text shortened]... , it makes me sure that there isn't a God who exists and is trying to communicate with me.
    You start a thread on 'evidence there is no god' and that's the best you can come up with? I may as well become a theist.
  8. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Joined
    18 Jul '04
    Moves
    8353
    06 Dec '06 15:25
    Originally posted by Lucardo
    If you feel angry for being insulted i apollogise.
    -People get angry when they are wronged.
    -To believe in "wrong", you must allso believe in "right"
    -If you believe in "right" and "wrong", you must have some system of values present in your life.
    - If you have a value system in your life, you must surely believe in "good" and "evil"
    -Good and Evil cann ...[text shortened]... st without some form of higher being present.
    -Therefore your viewpoint has a flaw.
    Thank you, B.S. Lewis.
  9. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    9895
    06 Dec '06 17:14
    Originally posted by Lucardo
    If you feel angry for being insulted i apollogise.
    -People get angry when they are wronged.
    -To believe in "wrong", you must allso believe in "right"
    -If you believe in "right" and "wrong", you must have some system of values present in your life.
    - If you have a value system in your life, you must surely believe in "good" and "evil"
    -Good and Evil cann ...[text shortened]... st without some form of higher being present.
    -Therefore your viewpoint has a flaw.
    Interesting !!!!!!
  10. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    9895
    06 Dec '06 17:15
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I may have seen it (a photo), I don't remember. But if I did, then it was not convincing. Nor was the picture of Jesus on the toast.
    Check out:
    http://googlesightseeing.com/2006/12/04/face-of-santa-claus/

    [b]Have you tried communicating with God?

    I have, with no success.[/b]
    I have, with no success

    I guess you used the wrong communication method.
  11. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    9895
    06 Dec '06 17:211 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I realize that the thread title will get lots of views but why not!
    In the Qu'ran thread I stated that I am personally certain that there is no God and one of the many reasons for that is that in my opinion there is significant evidence that there is no God. Several people said they would be interested in knowing what that evidence is.
    I don't think a t , it makes me sure that there isn't a God who exists and is trying to communicate with me.
    As I have seen no convincing evidence that God exists or is trying to communicate with me, it makes me sure that there isn't a God who exists and is trying to communicate with me.

    The problem here is that you excpect him to communicate with you, while you don't belive in him. So how do you think this communication could happen?

    The problem that he already did communicate with you but you refuse to listen to him. You refuse to belive that he did, although it is very clear.

    Note: I belive that everyone belive in Allah (GOD) one way or another, but some don't know they belive. I think you are one of them.
  12. London
    Joined
    02 Mar '04
    Moves
    36063
    06 Dec '06 17:25
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I will start with:
    Absence of evidence is evidence of absence.
    Although this is clearly not true for all things it is true in certain cases including this one. If you have never met your mother and have no evidence that she is alive then it is evidence that you do not have a living mother who is capable of communicating with you and wants to communicate ...[text shortened]... th me, it makes me sure that there isn't a God who exists and is trying to communicate with me.
    For once, I and RWillis agree.
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Joined
    02 Aug '04
    Moves
    8702
    06 Dec '06 17:561 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    You start a thread on 'evidence there is no god' and that's the best you can come up with? I may as well become a theist.
    What evidence do you have for the non-existence of something apart from the absence of evidence?

    Edit: Fairies, elves, unicorns, minotaurs, etc., etc., are all said to be non-existent for the sole reason that there is no evidence for their existence.
  14. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    9895
    06 Dec '06 18:08
    Originally posted by Palynka
    What evidence do you have for the non-existence of something apart from the absence of evidence?

    Edit: Fairies, elves, unicorns, minotaurs, etc., etc., are all said to be non-existent for the sole reason that there is no evidence for their existence.
    I think you better say that evidences exist I don't accept.
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Joined
    02 Aug '04
    Moves
    8702
    06 Dec '06 18:12
    Originally posted by ahosyney
    I think you better say that evidences exist I don't accept.
    There is no evidence that would be scientifically acceptable.

    What evidence do you have? A book that talks about Him?
Back to Top