1. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 18:24
    Originally posted by Palynka
    There is no evidence that would be scientifically acceptable.

What evidence do you have? A book that talks about Him?
    Your existance is an evidence.

You just will say my existance is not an evidence for anything. But actually you don't know why do you exist?

You are ready to call anything except to call it GOD.

But in all cases you will refere to something.

Do you have a scientific explaination for your existance?
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 18:271 edit
    Originally posted by ahosyney

You just will say my existance is not an evidence for anything. But actually you don't know why do you exist?

You're ready to call everything God. I'm ready to claim that's pretty meaningless.

The concept of God that we're talking about here was already described by the original poster. Don't try to curve around it.
  3. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 18:334 edits
    You're ready to call everything God. I'm ready to claim that's pretty meaningless.

The concept of God that we're talking about here was already described by the original poster. Don't try to curve around it.
    I don't try to Curve around any thing. I explained my Idea before, and the Poster know it.

GOD is not a concept.

The poster knows I'm a Muslim one of the religions he talked about, and I'm talking from what I belive, so don't try to avoide my questions.

You claim there is no evidence and I claim your existance is an evidence. So prove I'm wrong.

Do you have any scintific explaination for your existance?
  4. London
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 18:531 edit
    What evidence do you have for the non-existence of something apart from the absence of evidence?

Edit: Fairies, elves, unicorns, minotaurs, etc., etc., are all said to be non-existent for the sole reason that there is no evidence for their existence.
    First, one always has logical arguments that something cannot exist.

Second, with fairies, elves etc. there is no reason why they must exist.

(We can get into a debate over whether the philosophical arguments for God's existence work or not -- but it is important to note that no one has ever proposed, or even tried to propose, philosophical arguments for the existence of fairies, elves etc.)

Metaphysically speaking, there is a fundamental difference between beings like unicorns, elves, fairies (and even human beings!) and God.

Empirically speaking, the persistence of religions, religious phenomena and personal experiences of God/the One/the Other requires a reasonable response. Even if the response be one of disbelief, it is one that calls for a different degree of seriousness to claims about fairies, elves etc.

Finally, the "absence of evidence" cited by the original poster is an entirely ego-centric one. His argument is no more viable than a person claiming that the stars are really little halogen lights on an enormous black ceiling because no one has given him convincing arguments otherwise. That "convincing" bit (which the poster also cited) indicates the level of subjective opinion he brings to the table in this discussion.

RWillis probably won't agree with the first couple of points I stated; but I think he and I agree on the last one -- an individual's obstinacy is not "evidence of absence".
  5. Joined
    25 Nov '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 19:001 edit
    Originally posted by Lucardo
    If you feel angry for being insulted i apollogise.
    -People get angry when they are wronged.
    -To believe in "wrong", you must allso believe in "right"
    -If you believe in "right" and "wrong", you must have some system of values present in your life.
    - If you have a value system in your life, you must surely believe in "good" and "evil"
    -Good and Evil cann ...[text shortened]... st without some form of higher being present.
    -Therefore your viewpoint has a flaw.
    1) Why can't good and evil exist without a higher being? They could be created inside us.
    2) I don't believe in God. Without him we do what is right because it is, not because we are told to or scared of divine retribution. I am sick of people who won't even consider that their precious God or Prophet might be wrong about some things. For example, God apparently turned Lot's wife into salt just for disobeying him.
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 19:19
    What evidence do you have for the non-existence of something apart from the absence of evidence?

Edit: Fairies, elves, unicorns, minotaurs, etc., etc., are all said to be non-existent for the sole reason that there is no evidence for their existence.
    Even though theists will argue the point until they're blue in the face, the argument from evil is the best piece of evidence against a specifically christian god. A god so conceptualized is a logical contradiction which could not exist. Against an unspecified god, there can be no evidence, nor is it necessary to provide any. Atheists commit a grave tactical error by even starting threads like this, as it is in no way incumbent upon them to disprove the existence of any gods.

The absence of evidence on the part of the theists means there is absolutely no reason to 'believe' in their particular conception of god, but it contributes very little toward proving it to be false.
  7. The sky
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 19:28
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Empirically speaking, the persistence of religions, religious phenomena and personal experiences of God/the One/the Other requires a reasonable response. Even if the response be one of disbelief, it is one that calls for a different degree of seriousness to claims about fairies, elves etc.
    Is there any culture which doesn't have stories about and people who claim to have had personal experiences of some creatures like fairies or elves?
  8. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 19:54
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Is there any culture which doesn't have stories about and people who claim to have had personal experiences of some creatures like fairies or elves?
    I was out in Manchester last night and I saw a couple of fairies.

Elves on the other hand..... mmmm I dunno.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 19:551 edit
    -If you believe in "right" and "wrong", you must have some system of values present in your life.
    - If you have a value system in your life, you must surely believe in "good" and "evil"
    -Good and Evil cann ...[text shortened]... st without some form of higher being present.
    Good and Evil cannot exist without some form of higher being present.

False, unless humans count as a "higher being".
  10. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 20:01
    As has just been pointed out, your logic is somewhat disconnected. Perhaps you could explain why the following two statements are true...

-Good and Evil cannot exist without some form of higher being present.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 20:01

I have a scientific explanation for my existence.
  12. Joined
    03 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 20:123 edits
    "If you have a value system in your life, you must surely believe in good" and evil"

what crap that comment is - i have values and dont believe in god; why cant these values simply come from me, why must they come from elsewhere; i wouldn't just go out and kill someone for no reason, that is not believe i consider it evil, its because i cannot see the reason in just going out and killing someone, also, even if i did have a reason, the punishment from society is enough to put me off doing so - that is as far from good and evil as you can get.

your belief has flaws, what if someone is high on drugs and kills someone, who is responsible for this act, the drugs, the person, or the person selling the drugs..? or how about the person who persuaded the person to take the drugs? good and evil do not play a part in this...

the biggest error the bible ever made was convincing the world good and evil actually exist... life simply is... i see a cat chase and kill a mouse not for food but for fun, is this evil..?
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 21:18
    Originally posted by rooktakesqueen
    "If you have a value system in your life, you must surely believe in good" and evil"

what crap that comment is - i have values and dont believe in god; why cant these values simply come from me, why must they come from elsewhere; i wouldn't just go out and kill someone for no reason, that is not believe i consider it evil, its because i cannot see ...[text shortened]... fe simply is... i see a cat chase and kill a mouse not for food but for fun, is this evil..?
    i see a cat chase and kill a mouse not for food but for fun, is this evil

Yes.
  14. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 21:54
    Originally posted by rooktakesqueen

what crap that comment is - i have values and dont believe in god; why cant these values simply come from me, why must they come from elsewhere; i wouldn't just go out and kill someone for no reason, that is not believe i consider it evil, its because i cannot see ...[text shortened]... fe simply is... i see a cat chase and kill a mouse not for food but for fun, is this evil..?
    Good and evil do exist, but they are human inventions and social conventions. Neither is an inherent feature of the world. And they are both subjective and maleable. So a cat killing a mouse cannot be said to have any inherent moral quality either way. But a human observing such an act could assign a moral quality to it depending on his own interpretation of it.
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 21:56
    I don't try to Curve around any thing. I explained my Idea before, and the Poster know it.

GOD is not a concept.

The poster knows I'm a Muslim one of the religions he talked about, and I'm talking from what I belive, so don't try to avoide my questions.

You claim there is no evidence and I claim your existance is an evidence. So prove I'm wrong.

Do you have any scintific explaination for your existance?
    Explanation for my existence? Yes, I was born. My existence is not evidence that God exists, just that I exists. Unless you're implying I'm God?

My existence can be proven scientifically, God cannot or was not. So God is either irrelevant (as He doesn't manifest itself) or you have to accept that absence of evidence is evidence of absence.

PS: Your claims that I'm avoiding your questions is amusing, considering you answer questions with more questions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree