Evidence

Evidence

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
31 Dec 16

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Why do you assume there is a beginning? Why couldn't the universe always have existed?

You, after all, have set the precedent by claiming God to be eternal and outside the human concept of time.
Well you submitting its a few billion year old eternal universe? You submitting its in a perpetual onion of ever recreating itself? The reason for either of those simply to avoid a universe with a plan and purpose?

What makes you go here or whatever you are about to suggest?

I do believe in a eternal creator who isn't bound or limited to this universe who knitted it together to support life.

E

Moves
31 Dec 16

So no, you have nothing with which to support your notion of an eternal God?
I was just questioning your statement. I see you take it as a statement of faith. I don't really care what you put faith in. I was just curious to see if you would be a hypocrite about your faith.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
31 Dec 16

Originally posted by KellyJay
Well you submitting its a few billion year old eternal universe? You submitting its in a perpetual onion of ever recreating itself? The reason for either of those simply to avoid a universe with a plan and purpose?

What makes you go here or whatever you are about to suggest?

I do believe in a eternal creator who isn't bound or limited to this universe who knitted it together to support life.
My point is sir, to the question 'without a creator, how did the universe come into existence,' I tender the answer, 'why, the universe has always existed.'

To this answer you can not simply say 'everything has a beginning' without abandoning your belief in an eternal God.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
31 Dec 16

Originally posted by Eladar
I was just questioning your statement. I see you take it as a statement of faith. I don't really care what you put faith in. I was just curious to see if you would be a hypocrite about your faith.
I have no faith sir. Didn't you know?

Happy new year. Hope it is one full of good health and happiness.

E

Moves
31 Dec 16
1 edit

I have no faith sir. Didn't you know?

Happy new year. Hope it is one full of good health and happiness.
There you go again denying truth and being a hypcrite at the same time.

Maryland

Moves
31 Dec 16

Everyone please remember that theists will give the correct answer if they know it, but, if they don't have the slightest idea, they give god the credit. Such an answer stifles intellectual curiosity. We would probably have cures for dementia and cancer and have colonized the planets by now except for the thousand years the Dark Ages set humanity back.

E

Moves
31 Dec 16
1 edit

Originally posted by 667joe
Everyone please remember that theists will give the correct answer if they know it, but, if they don't have the slightest idea, they give god the credit. Such an answer stifles intellectual curiosity. We would probably have cures for dementia and cancer and have colonized the planets by now except for the thousand years the Dark Ages set humanity back.
Instead of blaming others try looking in the mirror.

Maryland

Moves
31 Dec 16

Can you be more specific>?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
31 Dec 16

My point is sir, to the question 'without a creator, how did the universe come into existence,' I tender the answer, 'why, the universe has always existed.'

To this answer you can not simply say 'everything has a beginning' without abandoning your belief in an eternal God.
I believe in an eternal God, the universe isn't eternal from what I've been told its a several
billions of years old. Being any amount of years old outside of timeless means it is not
eternal, so if it isn't eternal when why is it here?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
31 Dec 16

If the only explanation to date that covers all the bases is God, than I suggest God has to
be thought of as a possible source. If you can give me some other reason, I'm willing to
see it, please do come up with one.

E

Moves
31 Dec 16

Can you be more specific>?
Sure, you find the cure for cancer.

Maryland

Moves
31 Dec 16

Sure, you find the cure for cancer.
How does that make up for the thousand years religion set science back?

E

Moves
31 Dec 16
2 edits

How does that make up for the thousand years religion set science back?
Generic religion is the human condition. Blame religiins other than your own for your problems if you like. This too is part of the human condition.

In any case, if you would contribute, we would not be as far behind.

E

Moves
31 Dec 16

Geneic religion is the human condition. Blame religiins other than your own for your problems if you like. This too is part of the human condition.

In any case, if you would contribute, we would not be as far behind.
But you looking back at your wasted life want to blame others for your own failures.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
31 Dec 16

Originally posted by Suzianne...
Yes, but I wouldn't conflate religion with philosophy. Religion is more than some mere 'thought exercise'. In its proper place and scale, it can be the basis for a "life well lived", which Jesus described as life lived "more abundantly".
Well, religion includes things like rituals which are not philosophical. But claims about gods must involve metaphysics, right? Metaphysics is a branch of philosophy.

Religion can be the basis for a good life, but so can other philosophies.