1. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 17:482 edits
    Originally posted by obsesschess
    Do the majority of people of the popular faiths really, truly believe that there is a supernatural hell awaiting those serious sinners in the afterlife (in this day and age)?

If you want a definition of 'evil', then maybe a suitable definition is - creating an eternal torment for sins committed within a relatively short, finite period of existence as
    I question whether the concept of 'good' and 'evil' has any basis in reality anyway.
    Aye!...it's all a bit silly really! ;]
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 19:15
    Originally posted by Agerg
    So you choose to go to Muslim hell then?
    I choose to follow God through Jesus Christ, and take whatever comes my way
    due to Jesus Christ.
    Kelly
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 19:18
    Well then by your criterion for evilness I must be evil when the following exchange takes place:
    "Hey Greg, how you doing?"
    "Hi, not so bad thanks...and you?" (when infact I'm not ok but don't want to expand on the matter)
    So how many people you know are not evil due to untruth, not being loving, or
    do things that lead to death?
    Kelly
  4. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 19:233 edits
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I choose to follow God through Jesus Christ, and take whatever comes my way
    due to Jesus Christ.
    Kelly
    The quote of mine you responded to which was itself a response to Suzianne, was a challenge to her phraseology that we (atheists) all

*choose* to go to God_{suzianne} hell.

If this is a valid statement then it is just as valid to assert she and you choose to go to Muslim hell. If you answer "no" to the question "do you choose to go to Muslim Hell?" then it highlights a problem with the actual structure of her assertion independent of whichever god we're supposing.

You're presently just evading the point. That is unless you really do choose Muslim hell! (by which you'd answer the question above with a "yes".)
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 19:251 edit
    So how many people you know are not evil due to untruth, not being loving, or
    do things that lead to death?
    Kelly
    There is no person who I "know" that qualifies for being evil by any reasonable non "God"-centred definition of the word - and they all lie.
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 22:51
    The quote of mine you responded to which was itself a response to Suzianne, was a challenge to her phraseology that we (atheists) all

*choose* to go to God_{suzianne} hell.

If this is a valid statement then it is just as valid to assert she and you choose to go to Muslim hell. If you answer "no" to the question "do you choose to go to Muslim Hel ...[text shortened]... do [b]choose Muslim hell!
    (by which you'd answer the question above with a "yes".)[/b]
    I said I choose God through Jesus Christ and whatever comes from that, I'm more
    than happy with. My choice in the eyes of several different belief systems can say
    I'm going to their version of hell or nothing, I'm content being on their list to go
    were ever they say as long as I'm faithful to Jesus Christ.
    Kelly
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 22:54
    There is no person who I "know" that qualifies for being evil by any reasonable non "God"-centred definition of the word - and they all lie.
    So evil is again in the eye of the beholder? If there is no God than no one has to
    worry about being evil, since all standards are meaningless, and if there is a God
    which I believe to be true, His definition of evil will apply? I can than say His
    judgment for being evil will be His too, not ours.
    Kelly
  8. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 22:562 edits
    I said I choose God through Jesus Christ and whatever comes from that, I'm more
    than happy with. My choice in the eyes of several different belief systems can say
    I'm going to their version of hell or nothing, I'm content being on their list to go
    were ever they say as long as I'm faithful to Jesus Christ.
    Kelly
    Let me put it another way since I'm not getting my point across; and I'll leave it here.

May I assume you did not think to yourself:
    I want to go to Muslim hell, therefore I'll subscribe to Christianity
    ?

This has the same structure as Suzianne's assertion we atheists choose Christian hell in that

we want to go to Christian hell so we choose to not believe in God_{Suzianne}
  9. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 22:594 edits
    So evil is again in the eye of the beholder? If there is no God than no one has to
    worry about being evil, since all standards are meaningless, and if there is a God
    which I believe to be true, His definition of evil will apply? I can than say His
    judgment for being evil will be His too, not ours.
    Kelly
    Well your God_{KellyJay}-centred definition of evil has no currency with those who don't believe in any gods (or a different god incompatible with yours). As a collective of civilised humans we can all agree that sticking a fork in some baby's left eye causing great pain, damage, and anguish upon this poor infant is an evil act, we just don't require it be an evil act with respect to your god. The action of lying on the otherhand isn't by myself or perhaps others, seen as an intrinsically evil thing to do.

It would be like vishvahetu defining all people who follow his beliefs to be intelligent and then saying if his god doesn't exist then neither does intelligence!
    Just because he redefines some word that has a colloquial definition we all agree on doesn't mean we should then accept his definition should he later conflate this notion of "intelligence" with what we mean by the word.

Similarly you're redefining evil and then abusing it in the same way.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 23:211 edit
    Let me put it another way since I'm not getting my point across; and I'll leave it here.

May I assume you did not think to yourself:
    I want to go to Muslim hell, therefore I'll subscribe to Christianity
    ?

This has the same structure as Suzianne's assertion we atheists choose Christian hell in that

we want to go to Christian hell so we choose to not believe in God_{Suzianne}
    No, I got that point quite clearly, and I agreed if the Muslim hell is waiting for me
    I accept that, because I choose Jesus Christ and I'll not deny Him. When I accept
    Jesus Christ as Lord I shun all other paths to God including striving to become
    good enough myself through my own efforts. I do indeed acknowledge what I ask
    for comes at a cost to me, and I'm fine with that, just as your choices come at
    a cost to you, and I suppose you are okay with that too. If you and I end up in a
    hell we could have avoided here and now if we could, so be it. I know I'm making
    my bed just as you are and we are both doing it with our eyes wide open.
    Kelly
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 23:33
    Well your God_{KellyJay}-centred definition of evil has no currency with those who don't believe in any gods (or a different god incompatible with yours). As a collective of civilised humans we can all agree that sticking a fork in some baby's left eye causing great pain, damage, and anguish upon this poor infant is an evil act, we just don't require it be an ...[text shortened]... n by the word.

Similarly you're redefining evil and then abusing it in the same way.
    Listen I asked how evil was defined and I got this worthless standard of it is if
    someone does something bad to another above the ordinary or some verbage like
    that. That is evil in the eye of the beholder, so even by that lame standard the God
    who says when we do bad things to one of His, it is like doing it to Him so He will
    judge who harms His own. God's standards if you like them or not, or if you accept
    them or no, they change not, they are what they are; in addition to that, God says
    as we judge we will be judged, so the very standards you apply to others will be
    used on you. All of the bases will be covered, as you cannot jump to the moon due
    to the forces God set in place you will not be able to avoid His standards of right
    and wrong, and you'll have no excuse when you go against your own.
    Kelly
  12. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 23:407 edits
    Listen I asked how evil was defined and I got this worthless standard of it is if
    someone does something bad to another above the ordinary or some verbage like
    that. That is evil in the eye of the beholder, so even by that lame standard the God
    who says when we do bad things to one of His, it is like doing it to Him so He will
    judge who harms His own. G standards of right
    and wrong, and you'll have no excuse when you go against your own.
    Kelly
    Well you are just as guilty since your definition of "evil" is just as nebulous as ours [1]
    As per the toy example I gave before, If someone asks me if I'm ok then I must either be rude and fail to answer them, project upon myself an image of misery as I answer with a sharp "no", or bore them with a sufficiently detailed account of my troubles that lead me to being not ok - failure to do this, in your eyes would be the mark of an evil person since I would have to tell at least one lie; and I assume this is not what you had in mind with your notion of evil.

Indeed playing the same game as you, one could say you yourself are an evil person because the definition of evil as it is defined with respect to Allah includes the act of worshipping a different god.

--------------------------------------------
    1) As a collective we do have differing notions of what being evil entails, though there is usually an unwritten contract between humans that some collection of actions are unambiguously evil things to do; and we'll often state this is the case when those actions have been performed.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 23:58
    Well you are just as guilty since your definition of "evil" is just as nebulous as ours (as a collective we do have differing notions of what being evil entails, though there is usually an unwritten contract between humans that some collection of actions are unambiguously evil things to do, and stating this is the case when those actions have been performed). ...[text shortened]... vil as it is defined with respect to Allah includes the act of worshipping a different god.
    I know, I'm a sinner in need of a Savior to save me from my sins.
    I don't see one wit of difference between me and any other person, my only hope
    rest in Jesus Christ and Him alone. I say this not to excuse my sins and live as
    a sinner deep in sin because God forgives, but one who knows he is guilty and
    has turned his life over to God to follow Him as He leads.
    Kelly
  14. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    22 Jan '11 00:066 edits
    rest in Jesus Christ and Him alone. I say this not to excuse my sins and live as
    Kelly
    I cannot assign any tangible weight to the word "sin" as it is a purely "God" centred word which has no clearly defined meaning for me [1]. Telling a white lie is as much a sin it seems as commiting genocide.
    Indeed, any claim that I am a sinner has as much meaning to me as the claim I'm a biffybollerzaggiwasher. [2]

I'm also having difficulty seeing what part of my last post this response of yours is answering.

----------------------------------------------
    1) other than it being some collection of things which either God_{KellyJay}, God_{josephw}, God_{Suzianne}, ..., God_{Robbie Carrobie}, God_{John Smith}, etc... doesn't like

2) Where biffybollerzaggiwashing is doing something another god "Hakaj" doesn't like.
  15. Lowlands paradise
    Moves
    22 Jan '11 00:32
    Kelly
    Do you feel you were born as a sinner or did you become a sinner?
    And does that mean you see yourself as an evil person?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree