1. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    20 Jan '11 23:45
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Yeah, extrapolate all you want, and many have. But its just all ignorance. Perhaps you could say there are levels of ignorance. But it is not evil. It is ignorant of our true natures which is incapable of "evil".
    I once heard that people act from their own level of consciousness. I think that sums it up pretty well. When your unenlightened, ignorance is everywhere. Mistakes are like breathing..
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 00:10
    Originally posted by buckky
    I once heard that people act from their own level of consciousness. I think that sums it up pretty well. When your unenlightened, ignorance is everywhere. Mistakes are like breathing..
    breathe out a mistake , breathe in the correction.

When your enlightened, all beings are also enlightened.

(Its all speculation, I'm pretty sure black beetle would warn us.)
  3. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 00:28
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    breathe out a mistake , breathe in the correction.

When your enlightened, all beings are also enlightened.

(Its all speculation, I'm pretty sure black beetle would warn us.)
    When an Enlightened man walks into a bar filled with drunks, he see's a bar full of enlighened people. He also see's that the bar itself is himself along with all of the Universe. Unity Consciousness is one beautifull concept. I don't know if it's true but it appeals to me.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 04:21
    I guess it would be intentionally doing something beyond ordinary limits that would cause distress or hurt to anyone or anything. Not caring that your action hurst others. Not following the Golden Rule. I know most people fail at being perfect, but few want to be bad. Hopelessly human is what most of us are.
    Beyond ordinary limits? So some people are a little more thin skinned than others,
    so if I do the X to two different people and one says I have gone beyond their
    views of what is an "ordinary limit" am I evil, or am I not because when I did X to
    the other person they accepted it as "ordinary limit", evil depends on who I do X to
    not what I really do to others? So evil is in the eyes of the beholder?
    Kelly
  5. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 12:17
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Beyond ordinary limits? So some people are a little more thin skinned than others,
    so if I do the X to two different people and one says I have gone beyond their
    views of what is an "ordinary limit" am I evil, or am I not because when I did X to
    the other person they accepted it as "ordinary limit", evil depends on who I do X to
    not what I really do to others? So evil is in the eyes of the beholder?
    Kelly
    Rather than going over and over the technicalities of evil, I have just one question for you. Do you run across evil people in your daily life ? I must be living in a patty cake world because I don't. I don't run into many perfect people, but the evil person I seem to never run into. What I'm saying I would not throw anyone in Hell over not following a certain religion or doctrine. That seems evil to me.
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 13:182 edits
    Rather than going over and over the technicalities of evil, I have just one question for you. Do you run across evil people in your daily life ? I must be living in a patty cake world because I don't. I don't run into many perfect people, but the evil person I seem to never run into. What I'm saying I would not throw anyone in Hell over not following a certain religion or doctrine. That seems evil to me.
    I get you don't like the idea of God throwing people into Hell, okay!

The technicalities of evil seems to be part of the topic isn't it, after all you are
    calling some people evil. If I wanted to know who those people were what is it
    about them that make them evil and others not so much if that is possible in your
    eyes, as it seems to be by your statements.

If you really only wanted to say, you'd rather that God didn't throw people into
    Hell that should have been the topic header don't you think? Instead you say,
    "Evil people" and I want to know how you become evil in your eyes, right now the
    standard as near as I can tell is if others think what was done to them was what
    they would call evil, and that isn't really defining what evil is only that some person
    may not like another.
    Kelly
  7. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 13:46
    I get you don't like the idea of God throwing people into Hell, okay!

The technicalities of evil seems to be part of the topic isn't it, after all you are
    calling some people evil. If I wanted to know who those people were what is it
    about them that make them evil and others not so much if that is possible in your
    eyes, as it seems to be by your state ...[text shortened]... t isn't really defining what evil is only that some person
    may not like another.
    Kelly
    How would *you* define "evil"? and which parts of this definition are centred on your god; for example, if I blaspheme against your god, am I evil?

I say there is no standard definition of evil we can all agree on so it stands to reason what one sees as evil, another will not.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 14:42
    I think it is evil to send people to Hell. That is the most evil concept of them all. Hell is a nasty evil idea that should be dumped into the trash can of wrong concepts.
    The people going to Hell have full control over where they end up.

They themselves choose Hell. They don't "get sent" there.
  9. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 14:511 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    The people going to Hell have full control over where they end up.

They themselves [b]choose
    Hell. They don't "get sent" there.[/b]
    Do you choose to go to Muslim hell!? Because with your flagrant disbelief in Allah then taking the Quran to be true that's precisely where you are going!
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 15:191 edit
    Originally posted by Agerg
    How would *you* define "evil"? and which parts of this definition are centred on your god; for example, if I blaspheme against your god, am I evil?

I say there is no standard definition of evil we can all agree on so it stands to reason what one sees as evil, another will not.
    Anything that it not true (lies) not mistakes, anything that is not loving, anything
    that does not lead to life.
    Kelly
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 15:21
    Do you choose to go to Muslim hell!? Because with your flagrant disbelief in Allah then taking the Quran to be true that's precisely where you are going!
    I choose God through Jesus Christ and no other over all, if that means I'm wrong
    and I insult the Quran and Allah it is by my free will I do so.
    Kelly
  12. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 15:311 edit
    Anything that it not true (lies) not mistakes, anything that is not loving, anything
    that does not lead to life.
    Kelly
    Well then by your criterion for evilness I must be evil when the following exchange takes place:
    "Hey Greg, how you doing?"
    "Hi, not so bad thanks...and you?" (when infact I'm not ok but don't want to expand on the matter)
  13. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 15:32
    I choose God through Jesus Christ and no other over all, if that means I'm wrong
    and I insult the Quran and Allah it is by my free will I do so.
    Kelly
    So you choose to go to Muslim hell then?
  14. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 16:228 edits
    It appears to me the fast majority of people are decent good people. Evil people seem rare. At least I don't run across them that often. Usually if someone appears to be evil it might be that they are mentally ill.I don't care what religion you belong to, or if you have no religion most people are good not evil. Born bad is a wacky idea.
    I couldn’t agree more.

I have only ever personally known one person that I would describe as truly “evil”. He (I think it best not to name him) was 'evil' for lots of reasons; he was full of hate; he was extremely racist and a near-Nazi; he once ripped my ear almost completely of my head for no obvious reason and just laughed! He attacked two boys on a beach (again, unprovoked) and was sent to jail for it; he mugged an old lady. I don't know why he was like that but, I think, by any stretch of my imagination, he must have been “mentally ill”.

I have personally known many other 'mentally ill' people in my time because it was my job to care for them but I wouldn't even describe the violent one's as “evil”! -just “seriously disturbed”. I once accidentally very slightly cut the face of one when I was shaving his face. He was both autistic and a paranoid schizophrenic (in my experience, the worst possible combination! ) . He was a very big strong man and he responded by going completely mad and lifted my like a rag-doll and repeatedly rammed by back up against the bathroom ceiling. I have had only a very slightly bad back ever since but was lucky to not have been killed. It took two other carers to eventually stop him from doing more damage but I never blamed him for his actions and I would not say he was evil.
    On another occasion I got trapped in a minibus with him inside going completely mad but managed to pull myself away from his grip and fall out the minibus window to comparative safety outside although falling head-first onto the hard tarmac is not an experience I would like to repeat.

I no longer do care-work for the mentally ill (adults with learning disabilities to be more precise)
  15. Joined
    23 Jan '10
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 17:20
    So you choose to go to Muslim hell then?
    Do the majority of people of the popular faiths really, truly believe that there is a supernatural hell awaiting those serious sinners in the afterlife (in this day and age)?

If you want a definition of 'evil', then maybe a suitable definition is - creating an eternal torment for sins committed within a relatively short, finite period of existence as flesh and blood.

This is probably a reason that some people turn away from Christianity and the like - the supposed punishments meted out are so disproportionate and unreasonable that they fail the credibility and believability tests.

It is hard to swallow the premise that:

1. an all powerful being, who creates the universe and everything in it, for some yet unknown grand design or purpose
    2. has his eye on the milky way backwater (Earth) and notes the behaviour of some few billion glorified apes over the ages
    3. to ensure that any grave sin(s) which have been committed are noted for future punishment by never-ending torment in the here-after.

Of course, if this is the case, let me be the first to send God a bunch of chill pills (PS what is with God's 'love me, worship me' complex too? If you can create everything, wouldn't this include giving yourself a secure sense of self-worth, so you weren't constantly needing or seeking the adoration of others? Surely your resume speaks for itself?)

I question whether the concept of 'good' and 'evil' has any basis in reality anyway.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree