1. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 03:54
    does evil exist? what is good and evil? are we not just animals with no more of a significant existence of every other animal? if so, is there any significance to morals at all?
  2. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 04:591 edit
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    does evil exist? what is good and evil? are we not just animals with no more of a significant existence of every other animal? if so, is there any significance to morals at all?
    Evil doesn't exist by itself, like in Good/Evil dichotomy.
    We are no more then intelligent animals, who coexist in a society that could fabricate a morale and evolve throughout centuries.
    Morale is in continuous evolution, and is by no means absolute. It's society dependent. Morale has a significance and importance to us all. We are educated with a morale so we can live in society pacifically.
    What's is considered as an evil thing tday, certainly was not 500 years ago in europe, or during present day in south american indians.
  3. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 05:07
    Originally posted by serigado
    We are no more then intelligent animals, who coexist in a society that could fabricate a morale and evolve throughout centuries.
    Morale is in continuous evolution, and is by no mean absolute. It's society dependent. Morale has a significance and importance to us all. We are educated with a morale ...[text shortened]... ow, certainly was not 500 years ago in europe, or with present day in south american indians.
    Well said, all morality has to be the product of society. Otherwise we would instinctively know absolute right from wrong.

We don't.

Look as the various societies that think things we do are amoral/evil.... And Vice/Versa
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Mar '08 15:581 edit
    Morale is in continuous evolution, and is by no means absolute. It's society dependent. Morale has a significance and importance to us all. We are educated with a moral , certainly was not 500 years ago in europe, or during present day in south american indians.
    I agree evil cannot exist without good; however, that does not change
    the question or the answer if the question is, does evil exist?

If you only bring up personal taste as a judgment of what we use as
    a measuring stick for good and evil, than it only exists where we are
    as we like or dislike things. It than only becomes a function of
    personal tastes nothing more, nothing less. If it is something that
    is beyond human taste it is something we should look at a little
    closer.

The thiing I think could cloud this discussion is that I do believe in
    some cases we do set the bar, our tastes matter, in other cases
    not so much.
    Kelly
  5. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    17 Mar '08 17:06
    We use morals to regulate society. What's safer for your neighbour is safer for you too.
  6. USA
    Moves
    19 Mar '08 05:27
    There's no such thing as evil, just evil acts. A tool is just that, a tool, unless you use it as a weapon. So is a person's acts and thoughts.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Mar '08 15:19
    Originally posted by Tooner
    There's no such thing as evil, just evil acts. A tool is just that, a tool, unless you use it as a weapon. So is a person's acts and thoughts.
    That is like saying there is no such thing as blue just blue items.
    Kelly
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Mar '08 15:20
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    We use morals to regulate society. What's safer for your neighbour is safer for you too.
    So you believe in evil?
    Kelly
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Mar '08 15:21
    Morale is in continuous evolution, and is by no means absolute. It's society dependent. Morale has a significance and importance to us all. We are educated with a moral ...[text shortened]... , certainly was not 500 years ago in europe, or during present day in south american indians.
    So in your opinion evil is just what we think at the moment?
    Kelly
  10. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    19 Mar '08 15:41
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    So in your opinion evil is just what we think at the moment?
    How does that differ from the definition of evil being whatever God thinks at the moment?

Nemesio
  11. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    19 Mar '08 16:12
    I want to dedicate a song to you all:

YouTube
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    19 Mar '08 16:33
    1) Define evil.
    2) There are many possible definitions.
    3) Yes, we are animals. Are we more or less significant than other animals? Well, depends. Significant to who? I'd say humans are more significant to me than other animals. I have to interact with them every day; if I'm gonna breed, it's going to be with one of them; my parents are humans; plus we are capable of nuking. That's significant.
    4) IF we are no more significant than other animals, then yes, morals are still significant. It's part of how our social interactions are organized for maximum effectiveness of the species and individual.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Mar '08 17:10
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    How does that differ from the definition of evil being whatever God thinks at the moment?

Nemesio
    Oh maybe because God sets all the laws of the universe and we do
    not.
    Kelly
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Mar '08 17:281 edit
    We do 'instinctively' know absolute right from wrong. The problem is that this is masked by an instinct toward selfish behavior.

If 'morality' seems to be different from culture to culture it is because at least one of the cultures is not truly moral. This is also true of the 'morality' of a single culture that has changed over time.
  15. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    19 Mar '08 17:37
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    That is like saying there is no such thing as blue just blue items.
    Kelly
    wrong. his is an apt comparison, evil is an adjective, adjectives describe things that exist, they don't exist themselves. OH look! there goes a red! Hey did you see that pretty last night? Please hand me the cold. get it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree