1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    13 Nov '06 04:11
    Truth or means devised by religions institutions to create and maintain marketshare?
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    13 Nov '06 04:401 edit
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Truth or means devised by religions institutions to create and maintain marketshare?
    Say what? Are you saying that all religions maintain an exclusive knowledge of the truth to market themselves financially?
  3. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    9895
    13 Nov '06 04:47
    Originally posted by whodey
    Say what? Are you saying that all religions maintain an exclusive knowledge of the truth to market themselves financially?
    What religon are you talking about?
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    13 Nov '06 15:49
    Originally posted by whodey
    Say what? Are you saying that all religions maintain an exclusive knowledge of the truth to market themselves financially?
    If there is one God and one God only, how can we explain the myriad interpretations of that God? Has God created these interpretations or has man?

    Religious institutions are the creation of man. Religion is arguably the most powerful weapon known to man. Religious institutions seek this power.

    God is Truth.

    God is Love.

    To follow the ways of God, the individual must first conquer the self.

    All the major religions appear to have this at their core.

    Is the rest a man-made artifice?
  5. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    443
    13 Nov '06 17:44
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    If there is one God and one God only, how can we explain the myriad interpretations of that God? Has God created these interpretations or has man?

    Religious institutions are the creation of man. Religion is arguably the most powerful weapon known to man. Religious institutions seek this power.

    God is Truth.

    God is Love.

    To follow the ways of ...[text shortened]...
    All the major religions appear to have this at their core.

    Is the rest a man-made artifice?
    I agree that God is love and religion is man made to an extent. But if God was really real wouldn't he personally come and visit us and tell us which one he thought was the closest to the truth? If God was real he would show us that suffering and death could be overcome. He would also say catagoricallY while he was here that only he was the ruth, life and the way. Dream on ...it'll never happen!
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    13 Nov '06 17:471 edit
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    I agree that God is love and religion is man made to an extent. But if God was really real wouldn't he personally come and visit us and tell us which one he thought was the closest to the truth? If God was real he would show us that suffering and death could be overcome. He would also say catagoricallY while he was here that only he was the ruth, life and the way. Dream on ...it'll never happen!
    So if God were real he would personally come down and show us how to overcome suffering and death...........Christ comes to mind. Faith goes beyond believing that there is a God. The Bible is full of examples of people knowing there is a God and then loosing or not placing their faith in him anyway. Therefore, God is not interested in "proving" he exists, rather, he is searching for true faith in him.
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Joined
    09 Sep '01
    Moves
    26187
    13 Nov '06 18:32
    Originally posted by whodey
    So if God were real he would personally come down and show us how to overcome suffering and death...........Christ comes to mind. Faith goes beyond believing that there is a God. The Bible is full of examples of people knowing there is a God and then loosing or not placing their faith in him anyway. Therefore, God is not interested in "proving" he exists, rather, he is searching for true faith in him.
    Well, isn't that convenient? The existence of god cannot be proven, so it is claimed that god isn't interested in proving himself. Since christians cannot have proof, they claim that proof is irrelevant and that it's faith that matters. Sounds a lot like a case of sour grapes to me. If it is the case that proof doesn't matter, then why do so many christians try so hard to prove their case? They're like the fox leaping after the grapes he can never grasp, and only afterwards declaring that its faith and not proof that matters.
  8. Shetland Primary
    Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    11828
    13 Nov '06 18:37
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Well, isn't that convenient? The existence of god cannot be proven, so it is claimed that god isn't interested in proving himself. Since christians cannot have proof, they claim that proof is irrelevant and that it's faith that matters. Sounds a lot like a case of sour grapes to me. If it is the case that proof doesn't matter, then why do so many christians ...[text shortened]... e can never grasp, and only afterwards declaring that its faith and not proof that matters.
    Since God is a Holy God, sinful man cannot see God in His Holiness and live. Thus God reveals Himself by other means.
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Joined
    09 Sep '01
    Moves
    26187
    13 Nov '06 18:51
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Since God is a Holy God, sinful man cannot see God in His Holiness and live. Thus God reveals Himself by other means.
    How do you know that? Have you looked upon him? Do you know anyone who looked upon him and died? Should you be considered holy if the sight of you kills people? Seems to me you'd be more of a monster, like the Medusa, to be scorned and not worshipped.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    13 Nov '06 18:521 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Well, isn't that convenient? The existence of god cannot be proven, so it is claimed that god isn't interested in proving himself. Since christians cannot have proof, they claim that proof is irrelevant and that it's faith that matters. Sounds a lot like a case of sour grapes to me. If it is the case that proof doesn't matter, then why do so many christians e can never grasp, and only afterwards declaring that its faith and not proof that matters.
    I would say that faith is not blind nor should be. There should be a basis for something that you place your faith in. Likewise, there is evidence out there as to the validity of the Bible. Granted, it may not "prove" the existence of God to you. The people of the Bible were real people and the historical events that occured in the Bible have merit. Just ask any Biblical archeologist. Also what about Biblical prophesy? Here are some that have come to pass in regards to the Messiah.

    1. Born of a virgin. Isaiah 7:14
    2. Born in Bethlehem. Micah 5:2
    3. Presented with gifts. Psalms 72:10, Matthew 2:16.
    4. He would enter Jerusalem on a donkey. Zechariah 9:9, Luke 19:35
    5. Sold for 30 pieces of silver. Zechariah 11:13, Matthew 27:5
    6. Time table for the coming of the Messiah written hundreds of years before his arrival. Daniel 9:24-27.

    I could go on if you like.
  11. Shetland Primary
    Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    11828
    13 Nov '06 19:01
    Originally posted by rwingett
    How do you know that? Have you looked upon him? Do you know anyone who looked upon him and died? Should you be considered holy if the sight of you kills people? Seems to me you'd be more of a monster, like the Medusa, to be scorned and not worshipped.
    If you want to judge God, you better do it within the paradigm of his existence. If you exclude him from the paradigm, nothing will make sense.
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Joined
    09 Sep '01
    Moves
    26187
    13 Nov '06 19:48
    Originally posted by whodey
    I would say that faith is not blind nor should be. There should be a basis for something that you place your faith in. Likewise, there is evidence out there as to the validity of the Bible. Granted, it may not "prove" the existence of God to you. The people of the Bible were real people and the historical events that occured in the Bible have merit. Just ...[text shortened]... h written hundreds of years before his arrival. Daniel 9:24-27.

    I could go on if you like.
    Don't bother. There is no evidence for any of these things you list outside of the bible. You do understand the concept of 'circular reasoning', do you not?
  13. Shetland Primary
    Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    11828
    13 Nov '06 19:52
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Don't bother. There is no evidence for any of these things you list outside of the bible. You do understand the concept of 'circular reasoning', do you not?
    Ever heard of Historical writers and archeologists?
  14. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Joined
    09 Sep '01
    Moves
    26187
    13 Nov '06 19:53
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    If you want to judge God, you better do it within the paradigm of his existence. If you exclude him from the paradigm, nothing will make sense.
    I am not judging god. I am judging christians.
  15. Shetland Primary
    Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    11828
    13 Nov '06 19:54
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I am not judging god. I am judging christians.
    How do you define a christian?
Back to Top