1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 14:38
    Foreknowledge of Exact Date of Expiry.

Let's say a medical discovery allowed each and every one of us to know the exact day on which we were going to die naturally, and absolutely unavoidably, exactly 1 year in advance, barring suicide, accident or a shift to unhealthy behaviour that brought our date of death forward. How would it affect your actions and your inner-self during those 365 or so days?
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 14:42
    Originally posted by FMF

Let's say a medical discovery allowed each and every one of us to know the exact day on which we were going to die naturally, and absolutely unavoidably, exactly 1 year in advance, barring suicide, accident or a shift to unhealthy behaviour that brought our date of death forward. How would it affect your actions and your inner-self during those 365 or so days?
    If it were possible for a behaviour change to alter the date of our death detrimentally then logically it aught to be possible to alter the date positively.

That is what I would endeavour to do.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 14:55
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    If it were possible for a behaviour change to alter the date of our death detrimentally then logically it aught to be possible to alter the date positively.

No. The premise is that the expiry day cannot be postponed.
  4. Wat?
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 15:02

Would you say that to a young severe anorexic?
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 15:02
    Originally posted by FMF
    No. The premise is that the expiry day cannot be postponed.
    Then I don't buy the premise ;-p

However my typical answer to the what if you knew you were going to die tomorrow/next week/ect
    question is to carry on enjoying life and not worry about that that can't be changed.

However in reality it can be changed, so it's not really a question that really applies.
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 15:03
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Would you say that to a young severe anorexic?
    Yes, why wouldn't I?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 15:07
    Then I don't buy the premise
    Then please do not post on this thread. There are loads of other threads going on. Please. 🙂
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 15:08
    Originally posted by FMF

For a Christian who trusts in God and have followed Christ's commandments, there is nothing to do.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 15:08
    Originally posted by FMF

I would probably kill myself the day before, just to confuse everyone. 😛
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 15:09
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    For a Christian who trusts in God and have followed Christ's commandments, there is nothing to do.
    What would be your agenda for the last fortnight?
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 15:10
    Originally posted by FMF
    Then please do not post on this thread. There are loads of other threads going on. Please. 🙂
    Actually that was going to be my last post on the thread till mikelom asked me a question.

I have no intention of screwing up your thread.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 15:11
    Thanks.
  13. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 15:171 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Thanks.
    There was a story similar to this in the press a few years ago. A man was diagnosed with a terminal condition, can't remember what, was told he had a year to live at best. Him and his wife quit their jobs, sold the house, took out all their savings, wrote a big list of things to do and off they went round the world. A year passed and the man was still doing good, off to the doctors he went to find out what was going on only to find he had been incorrectly diagnosed. He was not terminally ill at all. I'll try and find the story.

I've not told it exact but it's almost there -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-453095/Patient-given-wrong-diagnosis-year-live-faces-bankruptcy.html
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 15:22
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Him and his wife quit their jobs, sold the house, took out all their savings, wrote a big list of things to do and off they went round the world.
    I don't think I'd stop working. I like what I do. I've already been around the world. But, would a trip around the world be good for the kids, I wonder. Maybe.
  15. Wat?
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 15:23
    Actually that was going to be my last post on the thread till mikelom asked me a question.

I WOULD hope then that my question had some merit of questionability in your statement then.

A young anorexic who wouldn't have probably known, of her (generally), ill-developed state, would be in a state to resolve the positive attitude you have, would she - given her lack of mind and mental well being through lack of health foods.

For her to recognise even a fathom of what you posted would be virtually impossible, as esteem of improvement would be limited to no end, wouldn't it?

So aren't there changes, which the OP generalised, significant in certain areas which your first reply to my post didn't apply to?

-m.

I have no intention of screwing up the thread too, but what we are discussing is relevant to the first post. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree