F.O.E.D.O.E.

F.O.E.D.O.E.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
04 Dec 11

this is a kind of question that can only be accurately answered by those who have a terminal condition (err... other than mortality!) with only a few months left to live.

F

Moves
04 Dec 11

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
this is a kind of question that can only be accurately answered by those who have a terminal condition (err... other than mortality!) with only a few months left to live.
I don't think an "accurate" answer is necessary when shooting the breeze over a hypothetical mind game. It's just meant to be a way into a discussion about the reality of death and its impact on faith, morality and an assessment of a live lived etc.

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
04 Dec 11

Originally posted by FMF
I don't think an "accurate" answer is necessary when shooting the breeze over a hypothetical mind game. It's just meant to be a way into a discussion about the reality of death and its impact on faith, morality and an assessment of a live lived etc.
My great great grandmother died in 2035. In her last three months of life she said to me, "I regret nothing I ever did. And, anyway, who are you to ask me that?"

She had dementia before her heart packed in. 😀

-m. 😛

(FAKE story, before you get on my back for lack of humour!)

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
04 Dec 11

Originally posted by FMF
indeed, but you can't know how you will react until you are tested with the situation. the hypothetical can only cover how we would like to react to a given situation.

for example, if someone is trapped in a burning building, i would like to think that i would have enough courage to go in there and attempt a rescue.

however, until faced with the reality of the above situation, i remain untested. i'm not looking forward to being tested with that situation either.

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
04 Dec 11
1 edit

indeed, but you can't know how you will react until you are tested with the situation. the hypothetical can only cover how we would like to react to a given situation.

for example, if someone is trapped in a burning building, i would like to think that i would have enough courage to go in there and attempt a rescue.

however, until faced with ...[text shortened]... ation, i remain untested. i'm not looking forward to being tested with that situation either.
I believe if your daughter was in there there would be no contest!

Certainly not for me. I'd melt to carry her out!

Edit: I also think if it wasn't my daughter, there would be hesitation! 😳

F

Moves
04 Dec 11

however, until faced with ...[text shortened]... ation, i remain untested. i'm not looking forward to being tested with that situation either.
If you don't like addressing a hypothetical question, why contribute to a thread like this? If you want to discuss how you would react to something "real" where you already know how you would react to it because you've already been "tested" by it in "reality", why not start a thread that deals with that kind of non-hypothetical stuff?

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
04 Dec 11

Originally posted by mikelom
I believe if your daughter was in there there would be no contest!

Certainly not for me. I'd melt to carry her out!

Edit: I also think if it wasn't my daughter, there would be hesitation! 😳
even though you remain untested (and i hope it stays that way), blood kin would certainly play a huge factor in your decision, often overcoming your reason. but it is no guarantee.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
04 Dec 11

Originally posted by FMF
If you don't like addressing a hypothetical question, why contribute to a thread like this? If you want to discuss how you would react to something "real" where you already know how you would react to it because you've already been "tested" by it in "reality", why not start a thread that deals with that kind of non-hypothetical stuff?
i contributed to the thread by addressing hypothetical questions. don't fees so annoyed, this is an open forum and anyone can contribute their ideas for or against the stated question, even to the point of criticizing the question.

F

Moves
04 Dec 11

i contributed to the thread by addressing hypothetical questions. don't fees so annoyed, this is an open forum and anyone can contribute their ideas for or against the stated question, even to the point of criticizing the question.
I am not 'annoyed' in the slightest. If you don't want to tackle a premise in an OP, what is it - vanity? - that compels you to post saying you don't want to enter into the spirit of the premise? "[...]This is an open forum and anyone can contribute...". You seem to think your freedom of speech is endangered. Are you annoyed? 🙂

Moves
04 Dec 11

Originally posted by FMF
Foreknowledge of Exact Date of Expiry.

Let's say a medical discovery allowed each and every one of us to know the exact day on which we were going to die naturally, and absolutely unavoidably, exactly 1 year in advance, barring suicide, accident or a shift to unhealthy behaviour that brought our date of death forward. How would it affect your actions and your inner-self during those 365 or so days?
Lots of people face this with somewhat less certainty than you depict in this what-if. My wife is facing the possibility that her health will curtail some of her favorite things to do, like travel. We are getting more travel in, these days. So I'd say I would try to get more of the things I want to get in, like travel, being with family, and seeing to the future well being of those I have accepted such responsibility for (which means mainly, making sure my will is in order.) I'd also divest a lot of personal property, like extra clothes and that old VCR and turntable I'll never use. I'd sell all my equity funds. There are dozens of items like that.

We are tending in that direction anyway, come to think of it.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
04 Dec 11

If you want to criticise a question rather than debate the answer why not start a new thread? the standard of debate here is going down the pan because threads are too interwoven. I'm sure you have complained about threads being hijacked.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
04 Dec 11

maybe I should have started a new thread there? 😉

s

Moves
05 Dec 11
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF

Let's say a medical discovery allowed each and every one of us to know the exact day on which we were going to die naturally, and absolutely unavoidably, exactly 1 year in advance, barring suicide, accident or a shift to unhealthy behaviour that brought our date of death forward. How would it affect your actions and your inner-self during those 365 or so days?
Good post, FMF,

...almost the same as Raj, except to make a will and a bucket list! 🙂

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
06 Dec 11

Originally posted by FMF

It wouldn't change a thing-I already live like any day could be my last, because it could be

F

Moves
06 Dec 11

Originally posted by karoly aczel
It wouldn't change a thing-I already live like any day could be my last, because it could be
How would you live each day differently if it couldn't be you last?