1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 15:24
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-453095/Patient-given-wrong-diagnosis-year-live-faces-bankruptcy.html
    The premise of this thread is not meant to be about the premise of the thread not happening, it's about the premise of the thread happening. 🙂
  2. Wat?
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 15:27
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    There was a story similar to this in the press a few years ago. A man was diagnosed with a terminal condition, can't remember what, was told he had a year to live at best. Him and his wife quit their jobs, sold the house, took out all their savings, wrote a big list of things to do and off they went round the world. A year passed and the man was still do ...[text shortened]... mail.co.uk/news/article-453095/Patient-given-wrong-diagnosis-year-live-faces-bankruptcy.html
    Haven't read the link,,,, but was this guy going to die leaving his wife bankrupt? Nice. 🙁
  3. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 15:33
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Haven't read the link,,,, but was this guy going to die leaving his wife bankrupt? Nice. 🙁
    He was divorced.

I should have got the story right to begin with.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 16:01
    Originally posted by FMF
    The premise of this thread is not meant to be about the premise of the thread not happening, it's about the premise of the thread happening. 🙂
    So doctors as good as they are, are not gods so they do screw up. People will
    do what they do given the circumstances they find themselves in. Having kids
    I would be doing everything possible to do as much for them as possible. I do
    think a meal out or two would be in order. 🙂
    Kelly
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 16:05
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Having kids, I would be doing everything possible to do as much for them as possible.
    Can you be specific? I am sure you and I both do what we can already: what would change?
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 16:12
    Originally posted by FMF
    What would be your agenda for the last fortnight?
    Same as I always do. Spend time with my family and friends.
    Help those I can.
    Give to the poor and needy.
    Try to follow as best I can the commandments of Christ.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 16:15
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Actually that was going to be my last post on the thread till mikelom asked me a question.

I have no intention of screwing up your thread.
    Its an interesting question. I say so beucase I know of several atheists when faced with certain death, their mindset changes. The question becomes 'what is the meaning of life ' .. or 'what have I acccomplished' etc. Apparently there are many regrets and very few answers at that point.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 16:181 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Same as I always do. Spend time with my family and friends.
    Help those I can.
    Give to the poor and needy.
    Too vague, if you don't mind me saying so. You'd work as usual right up to the last day, for instance? You'd sleep your regular number of hours?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 16:21
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    So doctors as good as they are, are not gods so they do screw up.
    Doctors screwing up is not the premise. The premise is a hypothetical situation.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 16:362 edits
    I know of several atheists when faced with certain death, their mindset changes. The question becomes 'what is the meaning of life ' .. or 'what have I acccomplished' etc. Apparently there are many regrets and very few answers at that point.
    Very interesting you should say that. I have found the opposite. I have found atheists - the handful I have known who have faced death knowingly - to have been able to find a meaning of [and take satisfaction from] life that works independently of the 'finality of death' thing that looms over theists who feel the need to find additional 'meaning of life' by speculating about supernatural things and immortality etc.

To be quite honest, I find your "The question [for atheists] becomes 'what is the meaning of life ' .. or 'what have I acccomplished' etc. Apparently there are many regrets and very few answers at that point" thing rather like a cardboard cutout impression of an 'atheist' that a devout a theist - who basically doesn't understand atheism really - might conjure up in the process of telling themselves that they have been right all along to spend life preparing for another imagined life and that dissenters are "wrong" and will "regret" being "wrong".
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 16:39
    Originally posted by FMF
    Foreknowledge of Exact Date of Expiry. [...] How would it affect your actions and your inner-self during those 365 or so days?
    Who would you tell and when would you tell them?
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 17:08
    Originally posted by FMF
    Too vague, if you don't mind me saying so. You'd work as usual right up to the last day, for instance? You'd sleep your regular number of hours?
    Im retired and living in what some might consider a tropical paradise. So my material, social, religious needs are taken care of. I guess I might utilize the daylight hours more fully and try to do more charitable work, and yes .. sleep less.

Christians who truly understand the Bible wont really care either way when they die, although they would fear the pain and suffering which death could bring.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 17:10
    Originally posted by FMF
    Very interesting you should say that. I have found the opposite. I have found atheists - the handful I have known who have faced death knowingly - to have been able to find a meaning of [and take satisfaction from] life that works independently of the 'finality of death' thing that looms over theists who feel the need to find additional 'meaning of life' ...[text shortened]... magined life and that dissenters are "wrong" and will "regret" being "wrong".
    Well ..no. I got those sentiments from atheists who spent their retired days with regrets.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 17:521 edit
    Well ..no. I got those sentiments from atheists who spent their retired days with regrets.
    They sound like cardboard cutouts Rajk999. Your characterizations strike a false chord. I am sure you present your impressions in good faith.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 17:55
    Im retired and living in what some might consider a tropical paradise. So my material, social, religious needs are taken care of. I guess I might utilize the daylight hours more fully and try to do more charitable work, and yes .. sleep less.
    You'd do more charitable work in the last fortnight? Or the last year? Why aren't you doing as much as you can now? Why do more in the run up to death? How does death alter your charitable spirit?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree