First amendment right to refuse services to...

First amendment right to refuse services to...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
297d

@suzianne said
Turning your religion into politics is not "faith in Jesus". It is hypocrisy.
Turning your religion into politics is not "faith in Jesus".

Aren't your own political values rooted in your religious values and your faith in Jesus?

rain

Moves
296d

@fmf said
No you didn't.

Here it is again: In your peculiar analogy, which matter is analogous to child molestation, and which is analogous to antisemitism?
Neither. That analogy was to show silly it is to equate two unrelated concepts just because they're both "discrimination". That's what you're doing with Suzi.

rain

Moves
296d
1 edit

@fmf said
You are still employing the same sleight of rhetorical hand. She demeans people's faith in Jesus on a spirituality forum rather than merely offering "criticism against a political party".
So what? Does she agree that their rights should be denied?

Or is your problem that that she's rude to people who overturn civil liberties?

F

Moves
296d

@vivify said
Neither. That analogy was to show silly it is to equate two unrelated concepts just because they're both "discrimination". That's what you're doing with Suzi.
If one is talking, on a Spirituality Forum, about prejudice and intolerance rooted in religious faith, then the comparison/juxtaposition is not "silly". I notice you have now attempted a new sleight of rhetorical hand by introducing the word "equated" into the conversation. Your word, not mine.

rain

Moves
296d

@fmf said
No, I didn't.

This is what I said:

"The issues, on this forum, as I see it are prejudice and tolerance. The issue is whether the anti-gay Christians are walking the Christian walk, not whether SCOTUS has just given them a legal foundation for their prejudice-in-action."
Okay.

Suzi is still right to attack people denying civil rights, Christian or not.

F

Moves
296d

@vivify said
So what? Does she agree that their rights should be denied?

Or is your problem that that she's rude to people who overturn civil liberties?
1. No.

2. The problem is prejudice and intolerance, not "rudeness".

If you want to talk about "law and politics", I suggest you take that stuff to the Debates Forum.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
296d

@vivify said
Not all discrimination is invidious discrimination. There are valid reasons why some forms of discrimination are illegal and others are not.

Most importantly, Suzi isn't saying Republicans should be denied legal rights; if she was, then she'd be a hypocrite. She is not. Merely having a negative opinion of Republicans isn't the same as Republicans overturning civil liberties.

This is all just a semantic game.
Stop shifting the goal posts in this exchange. I was talking about Suzianne’s hypocrisy not levels of legal or illegal discrimination.

Hypocrisy is hypocrisy.

rain

Moves
296d

@fmf said
If one is talking, on a Spirituality Forum, about prejudice and intolerance rooted in religious faith, then the comparison/juxtaposition is not "silly". I notice you have now attempted a new sleight of rhetorical hand by introducing the word "equated" into the conversation. Your word, not mine.
The issue I'm responding to is Suzi being called a "hypocrite" for defending gay rights. I couldn't care less if this is a relevant forum topic.

F

Moves
296d

@vivify said
Okay.

In the political arena, sure. But publicly demeaning people's faith in Jesus because of political differences seems to smack of prejudice and intolerance.

F

Moves
296d

@vivify said
The issue I'm responding to is Suzi being called a "hypocrite" for defending gay rights. I couldn't care less if this is a relevant forum topic.
What makes Suzianne hypocritical is her blindness to her own prejudices.

rain

Moves
296d

@divegeester said
Stop shifting the goal posts in this exchange. I was talking about Suzianne’s hypocrisy not levels of legal or illegal discrimination.

Hypocrisy is hypocrisy.
Except it's not hypocrisy. You're just playing semantic games.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
296d

@vivify said
Okay.

There you go again, shifting the goalposts.

Suzianne was being hypocritical in that she herself holds a discriminatory belief against republicans in claiming that a Republican cannot be a true Christian.

Just because you are a left-leaning person and want to agree with her, and that you highlight that her mindset is not “illegal”, does not detract from the fact that her statement was discriminatory, and would be called out as such in a Christian church.

F

Moves
296d
1 edit

@vivify said
Except it's not hypocrisy. You're just playing semantic games.
No, I think it is hypocrisy.

Edit: I say this even though your post was not addressed to me. Ha ha.

rain

Moves
296d

@fmf said
What makes Suzianne hypocritical is her blindness to her own prejudices.
For third or fourth time: is Suzianne advocating that Republicans have the civil rights overturned they way Republicans have done to gays?

No.

Discrimination against bigots is not hypocrisy.

F

Moves
296d

@vivify said
For third or fourth time: is Suzianne advocating that Republicans have the civil rights overturned they way Republicans have done to gays?

No.

Discrimination against bigots is not hypocrisy.
Her own unacknowledged and visceral prejudice makes her a hypocrite.