1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    26 Nov '09 20:32
    Do you believe the Bible is the word of God? Again only for ones interested in the Bible.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Nov '09 20:58
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Do you believe the Bible is the word of God? Again only for ones interested in the Bible.
    No. It's written by men of political resons.

It's a very interesting book describing another culture from a long time ago. It has no bearing of the life and society of today but shows how it was at that time.
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    26 Nov '09 21:03
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    No. It's written by men of political resons.

It's a very interesting book describing another culture from a long time ago. It has no bearing of the life and society of today but shows how it was at that time.
    You apparently don't understand the word "only"? Figures..
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Nov '09 21:051 edit
    yes, it is inspired of God, has influenced much of western life, history and art. Its principles are timeless, transcending every barrier, creed and culture. If everyone lived by these principles, there would be no war, crime, greed or misappropriation and mismanagement of the earth's resources. It is the only real solution for the problems facing mankind. Anyone claiming to be educated and yet to know nothing of the most widely printed book in mankind's entire history is surely in want of heart.
  5. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    26 Nov '09 21:07
    You apparently don't understand the word "only"? Figures..
    THe title of your thread is 'For ones interested in the Bible'. Do you think atheists and others can't be interested in the Bible?
    I'm very interested in it.
    And I certainly don't believe it's the word of any god.
  6. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    26 Nov '09 21:08
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes, it is inspired of God, has influenced much of western life, history and art. Its principles are timeless, transcending every barrier, creed and culture. If everyone lived by these principles, there would be no war, crime, greed or misappropriation and mismanagement of the earth's resources. It is the only real solution for the problems facin ...[text shortened]... othing of the most widely printed book in mankind's entire history is surely in want of heart.
    Presumably this is your Scottish wit.
    I hope it is.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Nov '09 21:18
    yes, it is inspired of God, has influenced much of western life, history and art. Its principles are timeless, transcending every barrier, creed and culture. If everyone lived by these principles, there would be no war, crime, greed or misappropriation and mismanagement of the earth's resources. It is the only real solution for the problems facin ...[text shortened]... othing of the most widely printed book in mankind's entire history is surely in want of heart.
    The Old Testament is simply a history of the Jews over 5000 years ago and has very little bearing on life today. Actually if many of the OT principles were followed today there would be far more killing and war.

On the other hand parts of the NT is applicable today and if the principles laid down by Christ were followed only then would there be peace. In fact not everything in the NT are applicable today as they were meant for the Jewish culture of 2000 years ago.
  8. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    26 Nov '09 21:25
    Originally posted by amannion
    THe title of your thread is 'For ones interested in the Bible'. Do you think atheists and others can't be interested in the Bible?
    I'm very interested in it.
    And I certainly don't believe it's the word of any god.
    I'm hoping for this to be an educational and pleasent conversation among friends that have a common interest. Some here will not respect that...But we'll see.
  9. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    26 Nov '09 21:34
    I'm hoping for this to be an educational and pleasent conversation among friends that have a common interest. Some here will not respect that...But we'll see.
    I'm all up for a pleasant conversation.
    So, what's next? I don't believe the Bible is the word of any god, or inspired by any god. I'll take a wild guess and say you disagree with me.
    Let's take it from there ...
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    26 Nov '09 21:35
    I'm all up for a pleasant conversation.
    So, what's next? I don't believe the Bible is the word of any god, or inspired by any god. I'll take a wild guess and say you disagree with me.
    Let's take it from there ...
    Thanks.....Have you read the Bible?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Nov '09 21:402 edits
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    The Old Testament is simply a history of the Jews over 5000 years ago and has very little bearing on life today. Actually if many of the OT principles were followed today there would be far more killing and war.

On the other hand parts of the NT is applicable today and if the principles laid down by Christ were followed only then would there be peace. In ...[text shortened]... hing in the NT are applicable today as they were meant for the Jewish culture of 2000 years ago.
    the entire sixty six little books are a complete testimony, you cannot split it up into old and knew, for without a proper understanding of the former, you cannot form an accurate evaluation of the latter. even the terms old and new testament are completely inaccurate.

i do not accept the argument that the so called old testament was written for Jews and is wholly applicable exclusively with reference to them, for many of the principles are still applicable for us, to state such a thing is folly. Are the psalms only for the ancient Jews?, perhaps the book of proverbs is only for the ancient Jews also?, thus, it is self evident that such a statement is inaccurate.
  12. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    26 Nov '09 21:42
    Thanks.....Have you read the Bible?
    The good bits, yes.
    I'm not into all of the minutiae of Jewish religious celebration that you find in much of the OT. That gets a bit tedious.
    I'm all up for a good story though, and there are some great stories - timeless stories - in all of the books.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Nov '09 21:52
    the entire sixty six little books are a complete testimony, you cannot split it up into old and knew, for without a proper understanding of the former, you cannot form an accurate evaluation of the latter. even the terms old and new testament are completely inaccurate.

i do not accept the argument that the so called old testament was written fo ...[text shortened]... s only for the ancient Jews also?, thus, it is self evident that such a statement is inaccurate.
    You sound like a perfectionist Bible scholar. Whether or not there is any virtue in being such a person is open to discussion. But the Pharisees & Saducees were similar in nature and Christ had very little kind words for them. The reason simple .. the more you focus on the words and meaning and translations and accuracy of this version or that, the less you understand what message Christ brought. And its the application of that message which brings virtue .. not the accurate evaluation of irrelevant Jewish history.
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    26 Nov '09 21:54
    The good bits, yes.
    I'm not into all of the minutiae of Jewish religious celebration that you find in much of the OT. That gets a bit tedious.
    I'm all up for a good story though, and there are some great stories - timeless stories - in all of the books.
    What do you consider the good parts? The thing ones misses by skipping around is the theme of the Bible and why all the scriptures are inspired. It's not different then skipping thru a best seller.. The Bible is full of principles that are lost if one doesn't read and get the meanings of them.
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    26 Nov '09 21:59
    Leviticus
    20:9 “‘If anyone 17 curses his father and mother 18 he must be put to death. He has cursed his father and mother; his blood guilt is on himself. 19 20:10 If a man 20 commits adultery with his neighbor’s wife, 21 both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death. 20:11 If a man has sexual intercourse with his father’s wife, he has exposed his father’s nakedness. 22 Both of them must be put to death; their blood guilt is on themselves. 23 20:12 If a man has sexual intercourse with his daughter-in-law, both of them must be put to death. They have committed perversion; 24 their blood guilt is on themselves. 20:13 If a man has sexual intercourse with a male as one has sexual intercourse with a woman, 25 the two of them have committed an abomination. They must be put to death; their blood guilt is on themselves. 20:14 If a man has sexual intercourse with both a woman and her mother, 26 it is lewdness. 27 Both he and they must be burned to death, 28 so there is no lewdness in your midst. 20:15 If a man has sexual intercourse 29 with any animal, he must be put to death, and you must kill the animal. 20:16 If a woman approaches any animal to have sexual intercourse with it, 30 you must kill the woman, and the animal must be put to death; their blood guilt is on themselves.

basically it is mostly kill
    this is very nice too:

Deuteronomy
    22:13 Suppose a man marries a woman, has sexual relations with her, 25 and then rejects 26 her, 22:14 accusing her of impropriety 27 and defaming her reputation 28 by saying, “I married this woman but when I had sexual relations 29 with her I discovered she was not a virgin!” 22:15 Then the father and mother of the young woman must produce the evidence of virginity 30 for the elders of the city at the gate. 22:16 The young woman’s father must say to the elders, “I gave my daughter to this man and he has rejected 31 her. 22:17 Moreover, he has raised accusations of impropriety by saying, ‘I discovered your daughter was not a virgin,’ but this is the evidence of my daughter’s virginity!” The cloth must then be spread out 32 before the city’s elders. 22:18 The elders of that city must then seize the man and punish 33 him. 22:19 They will fine him one hundred shekels of silver and give them to the young woman’s father, for the man who made the accusation 34 ruined the reputation 35 of an Israelite virgin. She will then become his wife and he may never divorce her as long as he lives.

22:20 But if the accusation is true and the young woman was not a virgin, 22:21 the men of her city must bring the young woman to the door of her father’s house and stone her to death, for she has done a disgraceful thing 36 in Israel by behaving like a prostitute while living in her father’s house. In this way you will purge 37 evil from among you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree