1. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Nov '09 04:36
    Originally posted by amannion
    Sure, there are places I wouldn't want to go to, or take my family to - Somalia springs to mind, and Afghanistan - but on the whole, I'm probably more likely to get eaten by a shark while surfing than to be killed in a terrorist attack.
    Actually in terms of raw statistics you are more likely to be killed by a toaster than a shark.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Nov '09 04:421 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Well I think if you do just a little research on the internet about diseases in the world and how most are climbing in numbers you'd see that is is getting worse.
    That is simply not true. You could be misinformed by the media, or you could be speculating because of your beliefs, but the raw statistics tell a very different story.

But the point about this is according to Bible's prophicies is it would be a sign of the conclusion of a system that Jesus fortold. It's part of a composite sign of the times we live in.
    It is interesting to note that many Christians have been saying that for the last 2000 years. What is new? Why are you right and all of them wrong?
    Whenever something big happens in the world like a tsunami, a war, global warming etc some Christian tells me that it is a sign that the end of the world is near.

And this is one thing that if you were to research in the Bible, it would help you to see that there is some validaty to it, is the history it has with prophicies. Everyone that was fortold to come true before our time has come true. There are really very few left and they all point to a time in the very near future when they will happen.
    I seem to recall being told there were prophesies about increase wars and diseases etc, yet that is not happening. World wide there is less war and disease than at any point in our history. So it seems to me that you want something to happen and are prophesying it even when the evidence points the other way.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Nov '09 04:441 edit
    Posted in Error
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Nov '09 05:03
    You apparently don't understand the word "only"? Figures..
    What do you mean? "Only"?

Only the bible? Don't you christians read any other things that the bible?
    Only those interested? Why do you think I don't read the bible? Of course I'm interested in the texts of the bible? Isn't that clear?

Am I interested in the Quaran? Yes, I am, but it is harder to read, and fewer to ask about.
    Do I read the ring trilogy of Tolkien? Yes, i do, but it isn't true in all details either (like the bible), and is written by the imagination of a human (as is the bible).

You are not discriminative, galve?
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    27 Nov '09 08:00
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    What do you mean? "Only"?

Only the bible? Don't you christians read any other things that the bible?
    Only those interested? Why do you think I don't read the bible? Of course I'm interested in the texts of the bible? Isn't that clear?

Am I interested in the Quaran? Yes, I am, but it is harder to read, and fewer to ask about.
    Do I read the ring tr ...[text shortened]... en by the imagination of a human (as is the bible).

You are not discriminative, galve?
    I only wish that you remain civil...
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    27 Nov '09 08:201 edit
    Surely you're not that gullible.
    Anyone can see connections and links in any series of events - it's what we humans do. And we're very good at it.

I'd like to see any research that shows me that the world we live in today - especially those of us in Western industrial countries - is worse than the ones our grandparents lived in. I'd suggest you take a r to convince me that this world is going to endin some biblically prophesied armageddon.
    Ok..Lets just talk about wars for a minute. This is described in Matt 24:6. Jesus was here explaining to his disciples that one of the signs of the last days would be wars. Well there have always been wars so this couldn't refer to what they were used to seeing in their time period. In fact their time period all the way up to WW1 was nothing out of the ordinary as far as the frequency of wars in history. But look at what happened after WW1 by going to this link. Make sure and take your time and look this over especially starting at page 3. You may think differently that things haven't got worse...

http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/warstatx.htm
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Nov '09 08:381 edit
    I only wish that you remain civil...
    You have nothing to fear. I hope also you will show some respect for my opinions.

You invited me in the discussion with the words "interested in the Bible", didn't you?
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    27 Nov '09 08:40
    There is nothing in the Bible that says that would happen in the future. And if you look back at all the times this did happen in the past, God always gave warnings to those nations to repent or to leave his people alone.
    several things are wrong with this post

jericho was the invaded nation, not the invader😀 the whole of canaan was in fact the invaded country.

and furthermore, warnings in what form? a jewish prophet comming and saying "repent ye infidels or my god would smite thee"? does that count as a warning? does the ramblings of ayatollah komeini constitute as a warning that allah will punish the infidels? or do you dismiss them because hey, you are not a muslim, there is no reason to believe a muslim priest.

third point i would like to make: listen to yourself. some dood is saying "repent and change your whole belief system, culture, way of life". you as the king, ruler, grand poobah refuse. is then genocide justified against your whole country? women and children included?

moreover didn't god instructed the jews to suffer no other religions in their midst? that they were to kill all idol whorshippers? so the victims of the genocided didn't even have the choice to coexist in piece.

i mentioned the jericho doodz for being the invaded and not the invaders. but even the philistines(as the later aggressor) can be justified. you have a neighbouring country that is bent on oppressing and killing anyone that isn't jewish. basically an antique Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, North Korea etc. tell me what happened to Iraq and Afghanistan? they were invaded by a country across the world. because they were a menace(that is the excuse the americans gave: we are bringing democracy to the people and eliminating the threat their rulers pose)
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    27 Nov '09 08:52
    Do you really not understand what that law was for?
    i could ask you the same question. the sharia law requires a thief to have his arm cut off. "do you not understand what that law is for"? is the question in the quotation marks relevant? does it justify the law? or is the law still barbaric? of course it has a reason behind it: an armless thief cannot steal so much, there is only so much you could grab with your teeth.
    i am not judging the jews for this law. just as i don't judge the nowadays germans for the nazis. or the mongolians for genghis khan. i am just supporting the idea that the bible is not timeless and immovable. not entirely.

fruthermore, the arm cutting law from the sharia is actual even more logical than the "proof of virginity" law. it accomplishes something as a deterrent. as rendering thieves armless and unable to steal.
    but the proof of virginity? let's go back through it again: any man can accuse his wife of not having been a virgin. how he can tell is very accurate: the jews had incredible technology. so he accuses his wife. the wives parents(wtf?) are required to offer proof of innocence, not the accuser as it is normal. but what proof can they offer? the bed cover from the marital bed? that can be bled upon easily. but what about girls with elastic himens who upon having sex for the first time don't offer any signs?
    so alas, the girl fails to show any proof of virginity and she gets bludgeoned by big freakin rocks. bear in mind how young the girls married then so it's basically a 14 year old girl getting killed in a gruesome fashion.
    what does the man get if he falsely accuses? a freakin fine😀
    it is good to be a jew man in the old testament.

like i said, if you support the 100% accurate and awesome bible i only need 1 example to prove you wrong. and i think i just did. sure i probably delude myself you would read this.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Nov '09 08:57
    Make sure and take your time and look this over especially starting at page 3. You may think differently that things haven't got worse...

http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/warstatx.htm
    I see a long list of war statistics. Whats your point? Are you saying wars have got worse? Do you have any charts, trend analyses or some other way to show your point? Or am I expected to compile my own based on the website you refer to?
  11. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    27 Nov '09 08:59
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    You have nothing to fear. I hope also you will show some respect for my opinions.

You invited me in the discussion with the words "interested in the Bible", didn't you?
    Then I guess you qualify..
  12. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    27 Nov '09 09:00
    Surely you're not that gullible.
    Anyone can see connections and links in any series of events - it's what we humans do. And we're very good at it.

I'd like to see any research that shows me that the world we live in today - especially those of us in Western industrial countries - is worse than the ones our grandparents lived in. I'd suggest you take a r ...[text shortened]... to convince me that this world is going to endin some biblically prophesied armageddon.
    how many times did they think the world would end in the dark ages?😀 More diseases then, and not the panzy ah1n1 virus that can only kill you if you have a messed up imune system or if you don't go to the hospital in time,but leprosy, and a form of plague that killed in 24 hours. Adding to that the lack of any scientifical knowledge of medicine and you have an invisible agent killing thousands.
    more wars. famine. more apocalypse omens then.
  13. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    27 Nov '09 09:03
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I see a long list of war statistics. Whats your point? Are you saying wars have got worse? Do you have any charts, trend analyses or some other way to show your point? Or am I expected to compile my own based on the website you refer to?
    Go to the link I just posted, take your time and look over it. It speaks for itself if your interested.
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    27 Nov '09 09:06
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    i could ask you the same question. the sharia law requires a thief to have his arm cut off. "do you not understand what that law is for"? is the question in the quotation marks relevant? does it justify the law? or is the law still barbaric? of course it has a reason behind it: an armless thief cannot steal so much, there is only so much you could grab with ...[text shortened]... ve you wrong. and i think i just did. sure i probably delude myself you would read this.
    Well you've proved nothing wrong with anything that I can see.
    So I respect your viewpoint but what is God's viewpoint? Why were the Mosaic laws written? Why were they so important that life's were lost because of it? If you know these answers great but I doubt you do...
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    27 Nov '09 09:20
    Well you've proved nothing wrong with anything that I can see.
    So I respect your viewpoint but what is God's viewpoint? Why were the Mosaic laws written? Why were they so important that life's were lost because of it? If you know these answers great but I doubt you do...
    you still are ignoring my point. you still speak in general terms and dodging the issue. cannot debate you because you are not making any statements?

this might qualify as a statement: the mosaic laws were important that lives were lost because of it. from this i deduce that every such law had a purpose. is this correct? is this what you are saying? to which i must again ask, what was the purpose of the "proof of virginity" law? to discourage promiscuity? i already gave you several reasons why it not only fails to do that but how it affects innocent girls. most of the time girls, not even women. so adress those specific arguments if you will.

God's viewpoint? he supposedly gave a law that is unapplicable and can be abused easily. i don't dare to insult god so much as to say it was his idea. i say the law was created by mysoginistic jews wanting to have exclusive rights to their wives v-g's

again, do you think the laws justify the deaths? even stupid laws such as these? couldn't god have given better laws? and what does it say about the validity of these laws when jesus himself made most obsolete?

i answered your questions. answer mine.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree