For RJHinds-yes Pre:rapture

For RJHinds-yes Pre:rapture

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
29 Aug 14

Originally posted by sonship
It should be obvious that the woman being with child does not mean a fully matured adult human being.

[b]"And she was with CHILD, and she cried out, travailing in birth and being in pain to bring forth." (12:2)

What point anyone would think he's making by making a issue that WHAT was brought forth was a ADULT MAN and not an INFANT is beyo ...[text shortened]... l the nations with a rod of iron. And her Son was caught up to God and to his throne.
[/quote][/b]
http://biblehub.com/interlinear/revelation/12-5.htm

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Aug 14
5 edits

Originally posted by RJHinds
So I read in your interlinear "She brought forth a son male "

Understanding the bible also takes experience. I have limited experience. But I have been opened to teachers of God's word who I know have had more experience along with their deep knowledge of the Scriptures.

We need the deeper experience of those who are spiritually more advanced to help us to understand some things in the bible.

If our experience of certain things is not very developed or pre-mature, this shallow experience can be a hindrance in understanding some things.

Even a Christian who has been saved longer can assist a newer believer in understanding the Bible because of the formers more advanced experience.

Never think that all that is needed is knowledge of Greek and Hebrew grammer. Greek and Hebrew is good and not to be taken lightly. But spiritual experience is very important.

If our experience in spiritual warfare is limited and elementary our undersanding of some passages will be superfiscial. If we have a good heart we will not be independent but willing to learn from others whose more mature experience of Christ can help us.

Then everything should be double checked with the word of God.
Pictures that are difficult to understand are elsewhere made clear by plain teaching.

So I have confidence that the exposition I put forth is what God wants to impress upon the Christians today about Revelation 12. The revelation of a remnant of overcoming saints utilized by God to obtain a specific victory for His will is what is meant by the male child caught up to the throne of God.

I have checked dozens of English translations quite independent from each other. And I see no serious issue to be raised about the repeated use of either "man-child" or some nearly equivalent expression.

You have the female woman and within her a male, boy or man-child or son. The contrast is evident. Within the greater weaker vessel there is a component of strength.

The concept of overcoming saints is given much attention if Revelation chapters two and three. Each letter concludes with a promise to those who escape some surrounding degradation to rise to the standard God's grace can supply them.

Something more. There is no mention of official positions of any kind in the book of Revelation. There are no church elders or church deacons and of course not clergy or "pastors" in the sense people assume.

The ones in the hands of Christ are shining stars. The effectiveness of these ones is not because of any position. Their effectiveness has only to do with whether they have light or not. The seven stars in the hands of Christ stand not for pastors or clergy or ever elders. The stars stand for Christians who have the divine light and live by it.

No position means anything in these letters. Only being in the light and overcoming means anything to the Lord in Revelation. Even John does not introduce himself as an apostle. He simply says that he is our brother.

"I John, your brother and fellow partaker in the tribulations and kingdom and endurance in Jesus, was on the island called Patmos because of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus." (Rev. 1:9)

No official positions are mentioned in relation to the churches. Only the stars in the Lord's hands as messengers to the churches and the overcomers is what Christ is interested in. Position means nothing. Light and overcoming by God's grace means anything now.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
30 Aug 14
1 edit

So I read in your interlinear [b]"She brought forth a son male "

Understanding the bible also takes experience. I have limited experience. But I have been opened to teachers of God's word who I know have had more experience along with their deep knowledge of the Scriptures.

We need the deeper experience of those who are spiritually more advanced ...[text shortened]... s interested in. Position means nothing. Light and overcoming by God's grace means anything now.[/b]
The symbolism of a child, a son, or male born of the women in the vision is definitely a reference to a single individual in my opinion and that is Jesus Christ. Just because we have identified the lamb as Jesus Christ in another vision does not mean that He can not be represented in this vision by a male child.

There is a later vision of a white horse with a rider wearing a robe dipped in blood and on His thigh is written the name "King of Kings, and Lord of Lords" and who is said will rule the nations with a rod of iron just like the male child is to do. And everyone seems to have no trouble identifying this symbolisim of the rider as Jesus Christ, who is also known by John as the Word of God.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
30 Aug 14
11 edits

The symbolism of a child, a son, or male born of the women in the vision is definitely a reference to a single individual in my opinion and that is Jesus Christ. Just because we have identified the lamb as Jesus Christ in another vision does not mean that He can not be represented in this vision by a male child.

There is a later vision of a white horse w ...[text shortened]... ying this symbolisim of the rider as Jesus Christ, who is also known by John as the Word of God.
The symbolism of a child, a son, or male born of the women in the vision is definitely a reference to a single individual in my opinion and that is Jesus Christ.

So you don't have to back down on your opinion.
But I will continue to teach that the better interpretation is of a collective unit.

If I thought that that view in any conceivable way robed glory from Jesus Christ I would drop it. But it doesn't. Rather it enhances His glory and confirms also that "as I have received from My Father" in His shepherding is mirrored by those rewarded (Rev. 2:26,27)

" And he who overcomes and he who keeps My works until the end, to him I will give authority over the nations. And he will shepherd them with an iron rod, ... AS I ALSO HAVE RECEIVED FROM MY FATHER."

Question: According to the New Testament WHO Will shepherd the nations with an iron rod ?

Answer: Jesus Christ (Psalm 2:9; Rev. 19:15) AND
Some overcomers with Him (Rev.2:26,27).

If there is a sign showing Christ as doing so why would there not also be a sign of those overcomers with Him doing so ?

The man-child of chapter 12 is the sign of those overcomers with Him doing so.

There is a later vision of a white horse with a rider wearing a robe dipped in blood and on His thigh is written the name "King of Kings, and Lord of Lords" and who is said will rule the nations with a rod of iron just like the male child is to do. And everyone seems to have no trouble identifying this symbolism of the rider as Jesus Christ, who is also known by John as the Word of God.

There is no difficulty in identifying that that Rider and Shepherd is Christ/
There is SHOULD be no difficulty in seeing that the concept of those being WITH HIM would also be depicted in Revelation 12.

It is also interesting that you notice the white horse and apparently think its positive nature of approvedness matches Jesus Christ in Rev. 19. But in the first horsemen of the Seal One you assign this white horse rider to ANTICHRIST.

I think this is too hasty, too typical. Everyone knows Revelation has lots of visions of negative things. So many assume the first rider on a white horse must be Antichrist in the First Seal of Rev. 6:2.

"And I saw, and behold a white horse, and he who sits on it had a bow; and a crown was given to him, and he went forth conquering and to conquer."

So some readers assume that just has to be Antichrist. Curiously, they overlook the typically positive symbolism of the white horse as is seen elsewhere in Rev. 19 -

"And I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse, and He who sits on it called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war." (19:11)

You have no problem there seeing the approvedness symbolized in the white horse relating to Christ.

"And the armies which are in heaven followed HIm on white horses, ..." (v.14)

I think you have no problem there seeing that white horses signals something of clean, pure, just and approved. Curiously, the rider on the white horse in the First Seal you count as the most evil Antichrist.

I think Nee's and Lee's interpretation of this symbolism being of the approved Gospel of Christ is more logical. Throughout history since the ascension of Christ, the main positive thing going on which overshadows all negative things is the preaching of the Gospel of Christ.

The bow without an arrow, they interpret, shows that the arrow has already been discharged into the heart of Satan. And the gospel of Christ's victory and of peace is proclaimed.

But it is curious to me how much of a stickler you can be about the child having to be Christ alone, but how easily you miss the inconsistency of the apprehension of the white horse/s.

White signifies clean, pure, just, and approvable. The white horse is a symbol of the preaching of the gospel which is clean, pure, just, and approvable in the eyes of both man and God.

The armies which are in heaven follow Christ on white horses as He also is on a white horse. It should be clear that they correspond to Him via His great salvation. So regarding the man-child as co-sharing in His shepherding of the nations, this in no conceivable way diminishes His majesty.

Why some readers would not be in joy at such a revelation is a curious puzzle to me.

When John saw that Christ is accompanied by overcomers with Him as a matching bride he was so overwhelmed that he had to be told not to worship before the angel showing him this tremendous revelation -

Rev. 19:9-10 - "And it was given her [the bride] that she should be clothed in fine linen, bright and clean; for the fine linen is the righteousnesses of the saints. (v.9)

That is not a typo. Some versions say "righteous deeds". The Recovery version has it "righteousnesses" .

Anyway, John, writing at a time when so many of the churches were in decline and degradation in his old age, was overwhelmed by the sight of the victorious and glorious overcomers -

"And he said to me, Write, Blessed are they who are called to the marriage dinner of the Lamb. And he said to me. These words are the true words of God.

And I fell before his feet to worship him, and he said to me, Do not do this. I am your fellow slave ... "

John was overcome at the sign of overcomers accompanying Christ. And rather than think it is somehow "safe" ONLY to see Jesus as the One shepherding the nations in Rev. 12:5, I think it is "safer" to apprehend that that sign is of the overcomers who will do as He does.

But if some have no ear to hear it, then that just has to be. If they feel "Just better play it safe and only see Jesus there", though short sighted, its not much more than their own unfortunate loss.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
31 Aug 14
1 edit

The symbolism of a child, a son, or male born of the women in the vision is definitely a reference to a single individual in my opinion and that is Jesus Christ.

So you don't have to back down on your opinion.
But I will continue to teach that the better interpretation is of a collective unit.

If I thought that that view i ...[text shortened]... only see Jesus there", though short sighted, its not much more than their own unfortunate loss.
The Man of Lawlessness Must Appear First

Now we request you, brethren, with regard to the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, that you not be quickly shaken from your composure or be disturbed either by a spirit or a message or a letter as if from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come. Let no one in any way deceive you, for it will not come unless the apostasy comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction, who opposes and exalts himself above every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, displaying himself as being God. Do you not remember that while I was still with you, I was telling you these things? And you know what restrains him now, so that in his time he will be revealed. For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only he who now restrains will do so until he is taken out of the way. Then that lawless one will be revealed whom the Lord will slay with the breath of His mouth and bring to an end by the appearance of His coming; that is, the one whose coming is in accord with the activity of Satan, with all power and signs and false wonders, and with all the deception of wickedness for those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved. For this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they will believe what is false, in order that they all may be judged who did not believe the truth, but took pleasure in wickedness.

(2 Thessalonians 2:1-12 NASB)

We see here that the man of lawlessness (the Antichrist) comes first before Christ. So the first rider on the white horse (Revelation 6:2) that appears like christ is actually the Antichrist, who comes in deceiving the nations.

But if you want to have your own special Bible version (Recovery Version), like the Jehovah's Witnesses have the NWT, then you can make it mean anything you want to.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Aug 14
3 edits

But if you want to have your own special Bible version (Recovery Version), like the Jehovah's Witnesses have the NWT, then you can make it mean anything you want to.

I often go to Bible Hub and present to you a dozen other English translations.

That's curious behavior or someone you think is restricted to only one English translation of the Bible.

IE. Revelation 3:10 which says some believers will be taken out of the HOUR of trial before it begins on earth.

English Standard Version
Because you have kept my word about patient endurance, I will keep you from the hour of trial that is coming on the whole world, to try those who dwell on the earth.

New American Standard Bible
Because you have kept the word of My perseverance, I also will keep you from the hour of testing, that hour which is about to come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth.

King James Bible
Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
Because you have kept My command to endure, I will also keep you from the hour of testing that is going to come over the whole world to test those who live on the earth.

International Standard Version
Because you have obeyed my command to endure, I will keep you from the hour of testing that is coming to the whole world to test those living on the earth.

NET Bible
Because you have kept my admonition to endure steadfastly, I will also keep you from the hour of testing that is about to come on the whole world to test those who live on the earth.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
“Because you have kept the word of my patience, I also shall keep you from the trial that is going to come over the entire inhabited world, to test the inhabitants of The Earth.”

1.) You should stop bearing false witness about me and the RcV.

2.) You should add to your collection of fine English translations The Recovery Version for your study and edification.

3.) The RcV does have a specialty to it.

So does the Amplified Bible or the Emphasized bible or even Young's Concordant Literal. And you could benefit from its marvelous footnotes.

So stop whining and join the blessing that thousands are enjoying with this fine English version. (Its also appearing in other languages)

www.recoveryversion.org

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
31 Aug 14

I often go to [b]Bible Hub
and present to you a dozen other English translations.

That's curious behavior or someone you think is restricted to only one English tra ...[text shortened]... this fine English version. (Its also appearing in other languages)

www.recoveryversion.org[/b]
But I do not want to have anything to do with false teachings from cults.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Sep 14
1 edit

But I do not want to have anything to do with false teachings from cults.
Neither do I.

But my CAUTION is not based on what is traditional, but rather on the what the Bible actually states and teaches.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
01 Sep 14

Neither do I.

But my CAUTION is not based on what is traditional, but rather on the what the Bible actually states and teaches.
“Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken: And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.”

“Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left. Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left. Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.”

(Matthew 24:29-31, 40-42)

Jesus, the Lamb of God, comes to gather the elect and to rapture the elect remaining alive after the tibulation. All the tribes of the earth mourn because they know the great day of His wrath is coming upon them.

“But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness. Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.”

(1 Thessalonians 5:1-6)

“And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood; And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind. And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places. And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;” And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb: For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?”

(Revelation 6:12-17)

This is what the Holy Bible actually says:

The Lamb's wrath and God’s wrath does not come until after the tribulation of the opening of the first five seals. The great day of his wrath (the Day of the Lord) comes after the opening of the sixth seal. The rapture takes place just before God and the Lamb pours out their wrath.

After the Tribulation

Satan is working behind the scenes to set up a one world government and one world religion in preparation for the Antichrist. He has also deceived modern evangelical Christians into believing that they will be removed from this earth before the great tribulation takes place. This doctrine, known as the pre-tribulation rapture, teaches that Christ may return at any moment, and that there will be no signs of his coming. As a result of this deception, most Christians are completely unprepared for what the Bible has warned us is coming.

In this hard-hitting documentary, film-maker Paul Wittenberger (What in the World are They Spraying? and The Great Culling), Pastor Steven L Anderson, Pastor Roger Jimenez, and creation scientist Kent Hovind, prove from the King James Bible that the rapture will take place AFTER THE TRIBULATION but before God pours out his wrath upon this earth. They also expose Satan's plans for a global government and new world order.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Sep 14
6 edits

Satan is working behind the scenes to set up a one world government and one world religion in preparation for the Antichrist.

This of course does not in any way negate that Christ's COMMAND was that we pray, watching at every time that we escape the snare that is coming upon the earth.

"But be watchful at every time, beseeching that you would prevail to escape all these things which are about to happen and stand before the Son of Man." (Luke 21:36)

The response of OBEDIENCE is therefore, guess what? It is to "be watchful at every time, beseeching that you would prevail to escape all these things which are about to happen and stand before the Son of Man."

We reserve the right to obey the Lord Jesus that we may be raptured before the great tribulation and stand before the Son of Man in heaven.

Pre-tribulation rapture is the response of God's faithfulness to the obedience of Christians to His command.

He has also deceived modern evangelical Christians into believing that they will be removed from this earth before the great tribulation takes place.

Just as John 3:16 says that if a CONDITION is fulfilled some human beings will not perish but will have have eternal life -

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that every one who believes into Him would not perish but would have eternal life."

in exactly the same manner, if a CONDITION of keeping the word of Christ's endurance is fulfilled some Christians will be kept out of the hour of trial which is to come upon the whole inhabited earth.

"Because you have kept the word of My endurance, I also will keep you out of the hour of trial, which is about to come on the whole inhabited earth, to try them who dwell on the earth." (Rev. 2:10)

In BOTH teachings it is totally reasonable to understand that SOME will fulfill the CONDITION and SOME will fail to do so. This is completely logical.

And while you speak of Satan's deception, it is in at least two extremes.

1.) ALL Christians will automatically be raptured before the great tribulation.

2.) NO Christians will be raptured before the great tribulation.

So you, RJHinds, may have escape the first deception but you are under the influence of the second deception.

You have sloppily thrown out the baby with the bath water. And you have failed to see that Luke 21:36 and Revelation 3:10 are our responsibility to heed in exactly the same manner John 3:16 has its conditional promise.

The Lord Jesus says that some heeding His word to endure will be kept out of the hour of world wide trial. You contradict this and say the whole church must pass through that hour.

How about we simply go along with the logic of God's word? Some will meet the condition most likely and some will not.

This doctrine, known as the pre-tribulation rapture, teaches that Christ may return at any moment, and that there will be no signs of his coming.

To the church the moment of the Lord's coming for us is evident -

" ... at an hour when you do not expect it, the Son of Man comes." (Matt. 24:44)

In my opinion when the moon is bloody red, the sun is darkened, the stars appear to be falling from the heavens, THAT is an hour when I would expect something. That would not be an hour when I do NOT expect Him.

Which did He warn us of concerning His coming ?

"For this reason you also be ready, because at an hour when you do NOT expect it, the Son of Man comes."

Now each brother or sister in Jesus can do as they feel to do.
As for me and my house, I will consider that the Lord comes for me at an hour that I do NOT expect it.

You have a better way to prepare to meet the Lord Jesus? Definitely go after that way if it is better.

I am going to teach the Lord's children that if they find themselves raptured and standing before the Son of Man, they have most likely fulfilled His command to do so.

"But be watchful at every time, beseeching that you would prevail to escape all these things which are about to happen and stand before the Son of Man." (Luke 21:36)

If the Lord Jesus should ask me at His judgment seat - "Sonship, WHY weren't you praying to escape the great tribulation so that you could be raptured to stand before Me in heaven." I don't want to say -

"Well, Lord some so-called pastors and movie makers told me that there would be no Christians to be raptured before the great tribulation. So I took it for granted that there was no use to watch and pray to escape. Besides, I didn't want them to think I was a sissy."

I don't think the Lord will be pleased with such an excuse when He said -

" ... be watchful at every time, beseeching that you would prevail to escape all these things which are about to happen and stand before the Son of Man." (Luke 21:36)

As a result of this deception, most Christians are completely unprepared for what the Bible has warned us is coming.

That is true that vast amounts of us are unprepared. It is not true only for the reason you give though.

Some will be unprepared because teachers like yourself encouraged them to be unprepared by ignoring a number of passages like Luke 21:36; Rev. 3:10; Revelation 12:5; Revelation 14:1-5.

However, if we teach Selective pre-great triublation rapture soberly as it appears in Scripture, more will prepare themselves, I think.

Those who think all believers will automatically be raptured before GT will run the risk of being unprepared.

But those who were influenced to completely ignore the conditional nature of selective pre- GT rapture also run that risk .

Pastor Steven L Anderson, Pastor Roger Jimenez, and creation scientist Kent Hovind, prove from the King James Bible that the rapture will take place AFTER THE TRIBULATION but before God pours out his wrath upon this earth. They also expose Satan's plans for a global government and new world order.

Point out to these teachers what the King James says here:

Revelation 3:10

King James Version (KJV)

10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.

Based upon this passage in your King James Bible SOME believers who heed the Lord's condition will indeed be kept out of the very HOUR of the great tribulation coming on the whole earth.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
03 Sep 14

Satan is working behind the scenes to set up a one world government and one world religion in preparation for the Antichrist.

This of course does not in any way negate that Christ's COMMAND was that we pray, watching at every time that we escape the snare that is coming upon the earth.

[b]"But be watchful at every time, beseeching tha ...[text shortened]... ion will indeed be kept out of the very HOUR of the great tribulation coming on the whole earth.
None of this means that the rapture is before the tribulation. Jesus specifically says that we will go through tribulation (Matthew 24:9). And those of us that are watching for His coming will not be caught unprepared and that day will not come on us as a thief (1 Thessalonians 5:4).

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Sep 14

None of this means that the rapture is before the tribulation. Jesus specifically says that we will go through tribulation (Matthew 24:9). And those of us that are watching for His coming will not be caught unprepared and that day will not come on us as a thief (1 Thessalonians 5:4).

Which attitude do you thinks helps you more to walk vigilantly w ...[text shortened]... rprise.

Tell me which belief more give you the incentive to live continually in His presence ?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Sep 14
3 edits

Which attitude do you think helps you more to walk vigilantly with the Lord Jesus?

1.) Christ is nowhere near coming for you until the Antichrist can be clearly recognized.

2.) Christ may come for you at any time, even this afternoon by surprise.

Tell me which belief gives you more incentive to walk continually in His presence, remaining close to the Lord Jesus.

I'll respect any honest answer.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
03 Sep 14

Which attitude do you think helps you more to walk vigilantly with the Lord Jesus?

1.) Christ is nowhere near coming for you until the Antichrist can be clearly recognized.

2.) Christ may come for you at any time, even this afternoon by surprise.

Tell me which belief gives you more incentive to walk continually in His presence, remaining close to the Lord Jesus.

I'll respect any honest answer.

Otherwise, I could easily be one of the people who are mocking...

and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all continues just as it was from the beginning of creation.”

(2 Peter 3:4 NASB)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Sep 14
1 edit

Now you are moving closer to what I have said.

And those of us that are watching for His coming will not be caught unprepared and that day will not come on us as a thief (1 Thessalonians 5:4).

The exhortation of 1 Thess 5:4 comes short of being a guarantee that all the saints will not be caught unprepared otherwise Paul would then TELL them that they should not sleep but BE sober in verse 6.

"So then let us not sleep, as the rest do, but let us watch and be sober." (v.6)

If it was AUTOMATIC that all Christians watch and are sober because they are [b]"sons of light and sons of the day" (v.4)
then there is no NEED to exhort us not to sleep and to watch.

Your reading comprehension of this passage is unreliable if you believe verse 4 makes it IMPOSSIBLE that the Thessalonian Christians can be anything else but spiritually awake and sober. Look at this ccontext again:

"But you, brothers, are not in darkness that they day shjould overtake you like a thief. For you are all sons of light and sons of the day. We are not of night nor of darkness.

SO THEN let us not sleep, as the rest do, but let us be sober."

"Let us" means that they should cooperate with their intrinsic nature and not neglect it. The very exhortation to not sleep as the rest, demands that we understand the cooperation of the Christian is volitional and not automatic.

The nature of this exhortation is very much the same as Paul saying we Christians are not in the flesh but in the spirit.

"But you are not in the flesh, but in the spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you ... (Rom. 8:9). The chapter is about waking in the Spirit. That is the Christians responsibility to do.

Telling us that we are not in the flesh but in the spirit is a wonderful promise. But it is not a garuantee that we will walk in the spirit obviously.

So it is a promise of what we are in Christ followed by an exhortation to COOPERATE.