1. Wat?
    Moves
    19 Oct '11 17:46
    I would hope some of you have seen the news about Thailand.

It is deeply sad, and millions have lost their homes.

I abandoned my home today, and had to wade 5ft thru sewerage that had drained up, as my lounge filled with water and floods.

For what it is worth, if you see a slight option of a 5 dollar/5quid/10 dollar/10quid donation, and you can give without it hurting your wallet/purse, please please do so.

This isn't an advert...... it is a genuine request as things are going to get worse here.

I've given what I can to feed and house lost ones. I can't do much more, as I am now included in those numbers, although I did save my car - potentially our new home for a month. 😳

If you can give something, even a little, and you know it is coming here...... please.

Please do, and save somebody from illness or dying unnecessarily.

Mike.

Dasa, would you even get your wallet out for this one, or are you going to say it's a gift from God for Buddhist atheists?
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Oct '11 21:111 edit
    Originally posted by mikelom

I abandoned my home today, and had to wade 5ft thru sewerage that had drained up, as my lounge filled with water and floods.

For what it is worth, if you see a slight option of a 5 dollar/5quid/10 dollar/10quid donation, and you can g wallet out for this one, or are you going to say it's a gift from God for Buddhist atheists?
    Whats the address?
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Oct '11 21:14

For what it is worth, if you see a slight option of a 5 dollar/5quid/10 dollar/10quid donation, and you can g ...[text shortened]... wallet out for this one, or are you going to say it's a gift from God for Buddhist atheists?
    Give via what channel?
  4. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    19 Oct '11 21:34

For what it is worth, if you see a slight option of a 5 dollar/5quid/10 dollar/10quid donation, and you can g ...[text shortened]... wallet out for this one, or are you going to say it's a gift from God for Buddhist atheists?
    How should I get it to you?
  5. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    20 Oct '11 01:46
    mikelom,

Count me in. Tell me where and how to send the funds. Maybe paypal is a good option?

By the way I'm curious, if you have lost your home and are living out of your car, how are you managing to stay online? Are you going to be able to afford to stay on the internet?

I'm sorry for you and yours, mikelom. I will pray for your health and overall well-being! God bless you!
  6. Wat?
    Moves
    20 Oct '11 03:10
    Originally posted by sumydid
    mikelom,

Count me in. Tell me where and how to send the funds. Maybe paypal is a good option?

By the way I'm curious, if you have lost your home and are living out of your car, how are you managing to stay online? Are you going to be able to afford to stay on the internet?

I'm sorry for you and yours, mikelom. I will pray for your health and overall well-being! God bless you!
    http://english.redcross.or.th/news/information/980

Donations to the flood victims, per above.

We are currently in a free bedsit, with electricity and washing facilities. We are lucky, for now, but only have a few days, as it's a turn-style system.

When we are out, car is 'potentially' a home, as written,, if needs be.

-m.

And for the cynics - I don't want your blood money - there are plenty of ways to google to give a little help to people who have lost more than everything. The clean up operation, which hasn't even started yet will cause even more illnesses and possible deaths.

There's still 'meat' available though, for those of us who made it to BKK. 🙂
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Oct '11 06:14
    Would you say the disaster is entirely an 'act of God' ie an unavoidable natural disaster, or would you say it is due to poor planning on behalf of the Government?
    Were there previous floods of a similar level? Would it have been possible to put levees etc in place to prevent this? Or is it cheaper to live with the results?
    I am just curious because I read somewhere that it was 'the worst flooding in 30 years' which suggests it has happened before.
  8. Wat?
    Moves
    20 Oct '11 08:01
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Would you say the disaster is entirely an 'act of God' ie an unavoidable natural disaster, or would you say it is due to poor planning on behalf of the Government?
    Were there previous floods of a similar level? Would it have been possible to put levees etc in place to prevent this? Or is it cheaper to live with the results?
    I am just curious because I r ...[text shortened]... omewhere that it was 'the worst flooding in 30 years' which suggests it has happened before.
    There was a bad flood in 1995, but not on this scale.

The King planned underground escape channels to the sea, from major areas, but after becoming ill it was never followed thru by the Thaksin government. The idea got lost in politics!

I think you know my thoughts about the natural disaster which has happened, and my non-belief in it being an act of God.

Whatever the reason/s, people in their millions have suffered, and it they who need serious help.

However, there are floods and famines everywhere. I am biased because Thailand is my home. Any help anywhere from those who have more than most is a genuine act of kindness, and it is that kind of help that rewards all parties.

-m.
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    20 Oct '11 09:02
    There was a bad flood in 1995, but not on this scale.

The King planned underground escape channels to the sea, from major areas, but after becoming ill it was never followed thru by the Thaksin government. The idea got lost in politics!

I think you know my thoughts about the natural disaster which has happened, and my non-belief in it being an act of ...[text shortened]... most is a genuine act of kindness, and it is that kind of help that rewards all parties.

-m.
    I got back form Thailand on Sunday, me and my girlfriend spent three weeks there in total. I saw the floods at first hand an unbelievable amount of water. I hope everything works out as best as it can Mike.
  10. Wat?
    Moves
    20 Oct '11 09:21
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    I got back form Thailand on Sunday, me and my girlfriend spent three weeks there in total. I saw the floods at first hand an unbelievable amount of water. I hope everything works out as best as it can Mike.
    Thanks bud. It's ironic today, as the area we moved to in BKK to escape more flooding is now flooding itself, today! The rivers in BKK are now rising, and it seems the capital will suffer after all. You got out at the best of times, from a Suvarnabhumi point of view.
    I appreciate your thoughts at this time. 🙂

-m.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Oct '11 09:31
    So it is partly the fault of the government. I hope they do something this time. I do realise that it is mostly the innocent that suffer in such situations.
    I think that in general though we need to start planning better for low frequency events and stop blaming nature all the time and lay the blame on those whose responsibility it was to plan for such events. I think political systems in general have difficulty dealing with long term planning and disaster planning. If it probably wont happen before the next election, it gets no attention.

Whatever the reason/s, people in their millions have suffered, and it they who need serious help.
    Sadly I am not currently in a position to help. (unless software development is required by one of the aid organisations?).
  12. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    20 Oct '11 09:51
    So it is partly the fault of the government. I hope they do something this time. I do realise that it is mostly the innocent that suffer in such situations.
    I think that in general though we need to start planning better for low frequency events and stop blaming nature all the time and lay the blame on those whose responsibility it was to plan for such e ...[text shortened]... a position to help. (unless software development is required by one of the aid organisations?).
    To be fair to the Thai government, they have built in a series of waterways where water from flooded areas can be channeled out to sea but the problem they are having is that the floods are coinciding with a series of high tides. There is nowhere for the water to go.
  13. Wat?
    Moves
    20 Oct '11 09:54
    I think that in general though we need to start planning better for low frequency events and stop blaming nature all the time and lay the blame on those whose responsibility it was to plan for such e ...[text shortened]... a position to help. (unless software development is required by one of the aid organisations?).
    It is partly the government's fault, but do remember that no floods like these ones have been anywhere near recorded, as far as I am aware and we are aware here. These floods have been the worst.

There is question about the way in which certain dam releases have taken order in, but to be honest every dam has been at near 99% full, and ready to burst. If the northern dams did all burst then it would be carnage, mayhem and death on an uncountable level. So if a dam was ready to burst it had to be opened and waters released. The deputy primeminister was put in charge, and he hasn't slept for a month - almost literally. He cried on TV as his last efforts gave way - emotionally and physically drained, he was. One can't fight the nature of water - it's power is enormous. They did try, but to no avail unfortunately.

-m.
  14. Wat?
    Moves
    20 Oct '11 09:57
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    To be fair to the Thai government, they have built in a series of waterways where water from flooded areas can be channeled out to sea but the problem they are having is that the floods are coinciding with a series of high tides. There is nowhere for the water to go.
    Dead correct! Seems BKK is the last unflooded area left - and it appears to be coming this way now - after we escaped to here..... 🙁

Looks like the car might just be our home.... lol.

Gotta laugh, or I'd cry! 🙂

-m.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Oct '11 10:47
    It is partly the government's fault, but do remember that no floods like these ones have been anywhere near recorded, as far as I am aware and we are aware here. These floods have been the worst.
    So, considering that the record may be partly due to global warming and is almost certainly due to various changes that are here to stay, it is likely to happen again.
    What do you think can be done to prevent a disaster next time?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree