1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    03 Sep '11 23:26
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    That is a good start toward the answer. But the main idea is when you
    forgive someone that has come back in humility and apologizes, do you
    feel your act of forgiveness also benefits you in any way?
    Is forgiveness from yourself just as, more so or not as important than forgiveness from the person to whom you're apologizing to?
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Sep '11 23:41
    Originally posted by trev33
    Is forgiveness from yourself just as, more so or not as important than forgiveness from the person to whom you're apologizing to?
    Would you word this so it could be more easily understood by everybody?
    Perhaps you could give an example of what you mean.
  3. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    04 Sep '11 06:23
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Judaism is based upon the Mosaic Law, it has ordinances which require reparation to be
    made, regardless of what the Mishna recommends, i can list them if you like. Islamic
    law also requires that some form of reparation be made, that is why you will often find
    those involved in a lawsuit willing to give/take payment as a reparation for some cri ...[text shortened]... thus, in this respect superior and for this
    i make no apology, nor will i be induced to do so.
    Okay, fair point it's not a big part of most religions, I agree.
  4. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    04 Sep '11 06:25
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    For me, forgiveness or not should have nothing to do with what a religion says about the issue. It is pretty simple, does the person causing the slight come back with humility or is he or she just being arrogant? That makes the difference for me.

I have a hard time with forgiveness in the face of blatant arrogance or lack of remorse.
    So you wouldn't forgive someone who didn't apologise, someone who was dead for example?
  5. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    04 Sep '11 06:28
    Originally posted by trev33
    I would say more so becasue for my sake I need closure.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Sep '11 07:18
    Originally posted by yo its me
    ? You must have heard the Lords prayer??
    a refrence;

"For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins."
    Thanks for the reference, I had forgotten that.

The reason I was asking was becasue I've been talking with someone about the idea of depression being caused by a person not having dealt with an incident in their past.
    I think most cases of serious depression are largely medical ie they are due to chemical reactions going on in the brain, not because of social interactions.
    Yes, depression is probably higher amoungst those who have had a difficult life, but not significantly higher.
  7. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    04 Sep '11 07:26
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Thanks for the reference, I had forgotten that.

[b]The reason I was asking was becasue I've been talking with someone about the idea of depression being caused by a person not having dealt with an incident in their past.

I think most cases of serious depression are largely medical ie they are due to chemical reactions going on in the brain, not ...[text shortened]... is probably higher amoungst those who have had a difficult life, but not significantly higher.[/b]
    Do you think there's any scope in the idea that a 'cure' for depresion could be forgiving?
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Sep '11 09:22
    Do you think there's any scope in the idea that a 'cure' for depresion could be forgiving?
    No. Maybe it would help some people who are bitter about things that they feel others have done to them, but I dont think that would really be classified as depression and I don't think most unhappy people have that problem.
  9. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    04 Sep '11 10:08
    No. Maybe it would help some people who are bitter about things that they feel others have done to them, but I dont think that would really be classified as depression and I don't think most unhappy people have that problem.
    I think Yo might actually be on to something there. The negative feelings one retains over unforgiven acts cannot possibly be beneficial to the bearer, can they?
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Sep '11 18:02
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    The negative feelings one retains over unforgiven acts cannot possibly be beneficial to the bearer, can they?
    Actually they are beneficial, which is why we have them. The stop us from trusting that person again, and possibly from being over trusting towards others. We may also engage in some corrective behaviour towards the offender, which causes him/her to modify their behaviour.
    A society where everyone forgives everyone will self destruct very quickly. Yo, may claim that its central to his religion but in reality it is not practised. Or at least there are very few Christians that would instantly forgive any trespass.
  11. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    04 Sep '11 18:07
    Actually they [b]are beneficial, which is why we have them. The stop us from trusting that person again, and possibly from being over trusting towards others. We may also engage in some corrective behaviour towards the offender, which causes him/her to modify their behaviour.
    A society where everyone forgives everyone will self destruct very quickly. ...[text shortened]... practised. Or at least there are very few Christians that would instantly forgive any trespass.[/b]
    They stop us from trusting that person again, and possibly from being over trusting towards others. We may also engage in some corrective behaviour towards the offender, which causes him/her to modify their behaviour.

You can do all of this having forgiven them, can you not?

A society where everyone forgives everyone will self destruct very quickly.

I don't agree that this is necessarily the case. Would you like to explain your reasoning?

Or at least there are very few Christians that would instantly forgive any trespass.

Ok, I'll grant you that one might be true. Not just christians, either.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Sep '11 00:52
    Actually they [b]are beneficial, which is why we have them. The stop us from trusting that person again, and possibly from being over trusting towards others. We may also engage in some corrective behaviour towards the offender, which causes him/her to modify their behaviour.
    A society where everyone forgives everyone will self destruct very quickly. ...[text shortened]... practised. Or at least there are very few Christians that would instantly forgive any trespass.[/b]
    Even God will not forgive any trespass without a change of heart.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Sep '11 06:191 edit
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    You can do all of this having forgiven them, can you not?
    No. You won't.

I don't agree that this is necessarily the case. Would you like to explain your reasoning?
    People will very quickly figure out that they can do whatever they like without repercussions. Some people will.
  14. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    05 Sep '11 08:23
    I personally wouldn't consider it forgiveness but the process of not taking revenge.

If someone harmed me in some way, I will most likely not bother with them because it will just be a waste of my time and energy. They wouldn't be worth the effort.

I will also give warning to others that said person is not to be trusted. Therefore, there isn't really "forgiveness" for me, because it still would have changed my opinion of them.
  15. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    05 Sep '11 11:16
    Forgivness is a big part of most (maybe all??) religions, I was wondering, to all the atheists- do you beleive in forgiving someone?
    Depends what they've done.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree