1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    19 Aug '09 18:17
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    there is nothing to explain.

the story of adam and eve is not to be taken literally, or do you really think that was the origin of the human race?

are you JWs or something?
    I take the word of the bible if it conflicts with science. From a scientific standpoint sure they don't agree and I understand that. But if the Bible says they were the first then it's up to science to prove it convencingly wrong. This is where faith comes along. If the Bible is not right, then I have faith that someday in the future when the Bible says new scrolls will be opened, all will be explained. But faith means you have to wait and not go ahead of God and in time he will explain that and many other questions we have.
  2. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    20 Aug '09 04:14
    I've heard somewhere that they proved genetically that we really did come from a common ancestor. http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresources/Human_Genome/elsi/humanmigration.shtml

interesting subject

Manny
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Aug '09 05:051 edit
    Originally posted by menace71
    I've heard somewhere that they proved genetically that we really did come from a common ancestor. http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresources/Human_Genome/elsi/humanmigration.shtml

interesting subject

Manny
    The same source says that humans (like the ones we are) and Neanderthals (the other ones) did in fact come from a common ancestor.
    Are our Adam and Eve the same as the Neanderthal's Adam and Eve?

Very interesting source!
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Aug '09 07:12
    Originally posted by galveston75
    I take the word of the bible if it conflicts with science. From a scientific standpoint sure they don't agree and I understand that. But if the Bible says they were the first then it's up to science to prove it convencingly wrong
    What do you mean by "it's up to science to prove it convincingly wrong"? You quite clearly state that however convincing science is, you will still believe the Bible first. Science has already convincingly proven that the Adam and Eve story is not a factual account - but you are unconvincable. So why even put the challenge to science?
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Aug '09 07:15
    Originally posted by menace71

interesting subject

Manny
    They have also 'proved genetically' that we and Neanderthals (as FabianFnas has pointed out), chimpanzees, gorillas, monkeys, rats, whales, and fish, all come from a common ancestor.
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    20 Aug '09 13:01
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    What do you mean by "it's up to science to prove it convincingly wrong"? You quite clearly state that however convincing science is, you will still believe the Bible first. Science has already convincingly proven that the Adam and Eve story is not a factual account - but you are unconvincable. So why even put the challenge to science?
    I've never seen proof of any such thing and if there is such so called proof I'm sure it had the backing and of many like your self that are doing all they can to try and prove the Bible wrong. It's the same with evolutionist that insist they have proof that evolution is a done deal. Still not true and never will be....
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Aug '09 13:09
    Science and religion cannot ever be mixed.

Whenever you think otherwise - try to
    (1) Prove the existance of god scientifically.
    (2) Change the constants of physics by praying religiously.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Aug '09 13:59
    I've never seen proof of any such thing and if there is such so called proof I'm sure it had the backing and of many like your self that are doing all they can to try and prove the Bible wrong. It's the same with evolutionist that insist they have proof that evolution is a done deal. Still not true and never will be....
    So I ask you again, why did you make the rather odd statement ".. it's up to science to prove it convencingly wrong" when you quite clearly state that you will reject any such proof presented to you?
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    20 Aug '09 14:191 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Science and religion cannot ever be mixed.

Whenever you think otherwise - try to
    (1) Prove the existance of god scientifically.
    (2) Change the constants of physics by praying religiously.
    I'll take up the challenge..
    1.If science 'evolves' enough, through quantum for example, the existence of God may be proved.You have to admit quantum is a fledgling science and the depths of it are not yet fully known. Not even close.
    2.Depends on what you mean by 'praying'. I've heard acounts of yoga masters and the like suspending physical laws. Occultists have claimed it numerous times.

Very interesting angles here. Now just keep your minds open and see what happens...
  10. Pepperland
    Moves
    20 Aug '09 16:22
    I take the word of the bible if it conflicts with science. From a scientific standpoint sure they don't agree and I understand that. But if the Bible says they were the first then it's up to science to prove it convencingly wrong. This is where faith comes along. If the Bible is not right, then I have faith that someday in the future when the Bible says ...[text shortened]... ait and not go ahead of God and in time he will explain that and many other questions we have.
    prove it convencingly wrong

I can't disprove there are giant rabbits living in the clouds. it doesn't mean its true because I can't disprove it.

There is a lot of evidence against creationism, but that doesn't mean the bible is "wrong", it means it is not to be taken literally, one can believe God was involved in the process which created humans without conflicting with science.
  11. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    20 Aug '09 16:29
    [b]prove it convencingly wrong

I can't disprove there are giant rabbits living in the clouds. it doesn't mean its true because I can't disprove it.

There is a lot of evidence against creationism, but that doesn't mean the bible is "wrong", it means it is not to be taken literally, one can believe God was involved in the process which created humans without conflicting with science.[/b]
    So you have the wisdom or some secret insite as to what is real or not in the Bible? Wow!!
  12. Pepperland
    Moves
    20 Aug '09 16:36
    So you have the wisdom or some secret insite as to what is real or not in the Bible? Wow!!
    yes, I call it "common sense", but unfortunately you seem to lack that.
  13. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    20 Aug '09 17:51
    yes, I call it "common sense", but unfortunately you seem to lack that.
    Well could you spare some then since you seem to have so much available? Lol
  14. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    20 Aug '09 18:262 edits
    [b]prove it convencingly wrong

There is a lot of evidence against creationism, but that doesn't mean the bible is "wrong", it means it is not to be taken literally, one can believe God was involved in the process which created humans without conflicting with science.[/b]
    Great points!

You're right you can't prove a negative.

The Old Testament is the mythology and legends of the ancient people of Israel. It was written with their understanding of the universe and the world around them at the time. Genesis is their attempt to essentially explain existence based upon the knowledge in their posession at the time. It's no different, in terms of purpose, than the mythology of other people in different parts of the world. The ancient Germanic/Norse people also had their own mythology regarding creation called Ginnungagap that nobody in their right mind, including a heathen like myself, would take literally. It is understood that it is the best attempt at an explanation by people living in that part of the world in ancient times.

I cannot understand why so many Christians cannot let it go and realize that as our knowledge of the universe changes it is okay if our spirituality evolves (oooo there's that dirty word again) along with it. Christianity is not going to dissapear simply because Christians finally acknowledge that their creation myth should not be taken so literally. My spirituality is not threatened by the knowledge that the myth of Ginnungagap is not literally how it happened (although honestly some parts of the Ginnungagap myth bear some resemblance to ancient big bang theory - but I digress).

Get over it and move on already.

Sadly, I know that typing these words is a waste of time that will only generate comments from the likes of Daniel simply reiterating "yeah but our god is the only true god and the bible is literally true, etc." Thereby cutting off a chance for any real interesting discussion. Such a pity.
  15. Pepperland
    Moves
    20 Aug '09 18:40
    Originally posted by Ullr
    Great points!

You're right you can't prove a negative.

The Old Testament is the mythology and legends of the ancient people of Israel. It was written with their understanding of the universe and the world around them at the time. Genesis is their attempt to essentially explain existence based upon the knowledge in their posession at the time. It's no d ...[text shortened]... ue, etc." Thereby cutting off a chance for any real interesting discussion. Such a pity.
    exactly.

It is unfortunate that some people here are stuck with their narrow view of the world and just won't change it despite the enormous evidence against it.

They fail to realize the world isn't black and white, and that it isn't one thing or another.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree