1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 16:21
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Outwardly he was a Catholic, inside he was a materialist and wholeheartedly believed in
    social Darwinism and the application of evolutionary principles. If the Germans were
    stronger they would overcome the Slavs and vice versa.
    Out of curiosity, what is an 'application of evolutionary principle'?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 16:25
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Out of curiosity, what is an 'application of evolutionary principle'?
    well that the strong shall overcome the weak. Hitler truly believed and i could try to
    find the quotation if you like, that if a race was stronger it would and should overcome
    a weaker one.
  3. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 16:411 edit
    well that the strong shall overcome the weak. Hitler truly believed and i could try to
    find the quotation if you like, that if a race was stronger it would and should overcome
    a weaker one.
    That's a principle of the natural world.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 17:02
    That's a principle of the natural world.
    is it not an evolutionary principle? such a principle has dire consequences for humanity
    for we are conscious of suffering and support the weak. Is it not so?
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 17:172 edits
    is it not an evolutionary principle? such a principle has dire consequences for humanity
    for we are conscious of suffering and support the weak. Is it not so?
    It's a principle of the natural world. It is well documented in nature that animals (predominantly male mammals) fight with each other to see who gets to 'cop off' with females. That is a fact is it not? The stronger animals genes will be passed to it's offspring through reproduction. That is the way nature works.

Nature is a war zone, every organism on this planet has to fight in some way or another to survive. It is brutal and pitiless, but ultimately that is the way your God (allegedly) made it.

As for us, we have 'flown the evolutionary nest'. Would i like humanity to live by the way nature is? Not at all. As you said we are conscious of the suffering and the weak and (should) strive to help them. Compassion and empathy is, or at least should, be at our core. But that doesn't change the fact that the natural world is the way it is, and it should have no bearing on how we would like society to be.

Natural selection is blind, pitiless and indifferent, but that doesn't mean we have to be.
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 17:38
    a weaker one.
    What Hitler and the racial supremacists fail to understand is that we don't recognize a strong group by their physical and/or mental attributes, we recognize a strong group by whether they WIN. Of course in WWII it wasn't a "race" that won, it was a coalition of countries. The USA had overwhelming industrial capacity and material resources in locations remote from the theaters of action. Hitler was working on an atomic bomb and a way to deliver it to NYC even to the end of the war. Youtube "Hitlers Plan To Atom Bomb NewYork" -- a six parter.

There is basically a fallacy, a tautology, in considering "the survival of the fittest" to be a central principle of evolution. Of course the fittest are the ones that survive, that how we define fitness.
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 18:15
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Yes I know he somewhat turned his back on religion as well as humanity but the facts of the Catholics and their friendship with Hitler and then the willingness to go as far as blessing the weapons they were going to use against their own in faith is beyond acceptance.
    Not even close to being Christian or a follower of Jesus.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/post.php?threadid=143059&frompage=1&postid=2756496
    On this I agree with you.
  8. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 18:26
    Originally posted by Ullr
    On this I agree with you.
    Thanks.... 🙂
  9. England
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 22:141 edit
    the blessing of warships/ planes/ etc is usual seems to give comfort to the users. even in same nation wars as much as same faith wars. germany, england share same faiths but england fought along side france twice
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Nov '11 00:12
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I don't think the Jews will forget, nor will many Christians.
    That's not the point , but hey when did I stick to an OP? 🙂

I imagine their would be a gaping hole in your life if you found out that there was no such thing as the united states. Just check out the window again
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Nov '11 03:12
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Hitler wasn't good, but he was Christian, Catholic to be precise.
    Hitler may have been a member of the Roman Catholic Church; but he was
    not Christian. See the following from Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler's_religious_views
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Nov '11 03:21
    It's a principle of the natural world. It is well documented in nature that animals (predominantly male mammals) fight with each other to see who gets to 'cop off' with females. That is a fact is it not? The stronger animals genes will be passed to it's offspring through reproduction. That is the way nature works.

Nature is a war zone, every organism ...[text shortened]... tural selection is blind, pitiless and indifferent, but that doesn't mean we have to be.
    That is because we were made in the image of God.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Nov '11 04:43

Nature is a war zone, every organism ...[text shortened]... tural selection is blind, pitiless and indifferent, but that doesn't mean we have to be.
    So why are human (animals) different to the rest of the (land based) animals if it is not because of "God"?
    I am interested in your answer because you have a sound, consistent atheistic view, and you know enough science to make an educated guess.

(As I understand it at this point, "man" has evolved differently to other animals,(but clearly FROM other animals). Following a purely(current) scientific line of thought would suggest to me that we are only the way we are because of a series of very improbable accidents, Yes?)
  14. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    03 Nov '11 09:34
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    So why are human (animals) different to the rest of the (land based) animals if it is not because of "God"?
    I am interested in your answer because you have a sound, consistent atheistic view, and you know enough science to make an educated guess.

(As I understand it at this point, "man" has evolved differently to other animals,(but clearly FROM othe ...[text shortened]... o me that we are only the way we are because of a series of very improbable accidents, Yes?)

We evolved. Which genes are responsible for our evolution is still being worked out. We seem so different only because our branch of the evolutionary tree has been cut off, meaning that our descendants are no longer with us. If Homo erectus or Homo neanderthalensis were still alive on this planet we wouldn't feel so special. But alas out evolutionary cousins have gone the way of countless other species and we are now alone.

Following a purely(current) scientific line of thought would suggest to me that we are only the way we are because of a series of very improbable accidents, Yes?)

We are the way we are because variation in our genome was favoured by natural selection. It's not an 'accident', that's the wrong word.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Nov '11 11:171 edit
    [b]So why are human (animals) different to the rest of the (land based) animals if it is not because of "God"?

We evolved. Which genes are responsible for our evolution is still being worked out. We seem so different only because our branch of the evolutionary tree has been cut off, meaning that our descendants are no longer with us. If [i]Homo er genome was favoured by natural selection. It's not an 'accident', that's the wrong word.[/b]
    Still you offer no concrete explanation for this obvious difference between us and other land creatures.
    How did our intelligence evolve so quickly? was it because of some sort of flight/fight instinct that drove our brains to grow larger than other mammals brains?

Why are so many ancient cultures adept in astrology/astronomy? (I was reading somewhere that astronomy was one thing that all ancient cultures had in common, other than the other defensive/survival actions to preserve their society. Why the need to know about the stars? It doesn't serve any survival/defensive needs. Neither does it grow food or get us high.
    Why did we become SO intelligent? (Beyond the capacity needed for healthy survival... to the point of near self destruction)
    (Please feel free to point out to me the bits you think I have wrong in this post, as I'm sure you will. But just as a reminder that we are on the same page 🙂 )

edit: after re-reading your post, the only concrete answer i can gleen is that "we evolved". I dont dispute any part of your post yet it still seems as if there is something missing, and I'm not talking about a "missing link"🙂
    (Are you sure we didn't evolve quicker than any Earthly evolution would allow us?)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree