1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    03 Nov '11 17:16
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Still you offer no concrete explanation for this obvious difference between us and other land creatures.
    How did our intelligence evolve so quickly? was it because of some sort of flight/fight instinct that drove our brains to grow larger than other mammals brains?

Why are so many ancient cultures adept in astrology/astronomy? (I was reading somewh ...[text shortened]... k"🙂
    (Are you sure we didn't evolve quicker than any Earthly evolution would allow us?)
    Still you offer no concrete explanation for this obvious difference between us and other land creatures.

The short answer is, we evolved differently. In our brains to be specific. The problem we face in finding out how it all pieces together is that we would need to take a human embryo and start pulling it pieces. As you can probably guess, not too many people would be up for that. As it stands a grape plant has more genes than a human, so it's not about how many genes we have, but about what they do, or how they co-operate. But as i said above, the only way to find out how our genes work together would be to let embryologists start experimenting on human embryos. That won't be aloud.

How did our intelligence evolve so quickly?

What do you mean by quickly? Are we talking human terms, or evolutionary terms, or geological terms?

was it because of some sort of flight/fight instinct that drove our brains to grow larger than other mammals brains?

Neanderthals had bigger brains than us, human brain capacity has actually been reducing over the last few hundred thousand years, so it's not quite as simple as that.

Why are so many ancient cultures adept in astrology/astronomy?

I don't think anyone can be adept at astrology really. It's bunkum. As for astronomy, the answer is rather simple, ancient cultures had a lot of time on their hands with no distractions. No tv, radio, computers, chatting online, playing correspondence chess etc etc. There was also no light pollution from cites to obscure the night view. Basically, what else were they do to of an evening?

Why the need to know about the stars?

Curiosity no doubt. The most amazing night sky i ever saw was in the High Atlas mountains of Morocco, absolutely amazing. The night sky was diffrent shades of blue, red and green. It was simply beautiful. I see no reason why ancient mans pondering of the night sky should be any different than mine.

Are you sure we didn't evolve quicker than any Earthly evolution would allow us?

What makes you think there's some sort of limit on how fast or so evolution works?
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Nov '11 19:35
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    [b]Still you offer no concrete explanation for this obvious difference between us and other land creatures.

The short answer is, we evolved differently. In our brains to be specific. The problem we face in finding out how it all pieces together is that we would need to take a human embryo and start pulling it pieces. As you can probably guess, no ...[text shortened]... /b]

What makes you think there's some sort of limit on how fast or so evolution works?[/b]
    All this does is show your ignorance. I know you are too proud to
    admit it so it must be up to me to point it out to you. Sorry.
  3. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    03 Nov '11 19:59
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    😴😴
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Nov '11 21:051 edit
    [b]Still you offer no concrete explanation for this obvious difference between us and other land creatures.

The short answer is, we evolved differently. In our brains to be specific. The problem we face in finding out how it all pieces together is that we would need to take a human embryo and start pulling it pieces. As you can probably guess, no /b]

What makes you think there's some sort of limit on how fast or so evolution works?[/b]
    1."We evolved differently.In our brains to be specific." This fits!
    Why the need for more intelligence? It has nearly killed us after all and seemingly lead us out of a more graceful state of being into these paranoid , scizophrenic, in- denial oafs that a lot of us have become. Why the pain and misery? Why the ability to ask questions?

And if they are not aloud about it , maybe they can still experiment on those embryos even if they're not allowed 🙂

2.evolutionary terms.

3.Still you dont deny that our brains have grown rather quickly. Perhaps Neanderthal man wasn't even using 15 % of his brain (?).

4.There is an obvious limit on how quickly evolution works. Were you guys bandying around hundreds of thousands or millions of years as a ball park figure for a creature to evolve into another.
    Some authors have claimed that man "sprang up" in just 10 000years.

(I had a better response but my pc crashed so this is the revised rushed version, sorryyyy🙂 )
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Nov '11 21:10
    😴
  6. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    03 Nov '11 22:12
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    is it not an evolutionary principle? such a principle has dire consequences for humanity
    for we are conscious of suffering and support the weak. Is it not so?
    Are you going to respond to my beautifully penned post? Or are you going to do what you normally do in these evolutionary 'discussions' and disappear when your on the cusp of learning something which contradicts your creationist leanings?
  7. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    03 Nov '11 22:15
    Why the need for more intelligence? It has nearly killed us after all and seemingly lead us out of a more graceful state of being into these paranoid , scizophrenic, in- denial oafs that a lot of us have become. Why the pain and misery? Why the ability to ask questions?

And if they ...[text shortened]... ad a better response but my pc crashed so this is the revised rushed version, sorryyyy🙂 )
    I'll get to these questions tomorrow Karoly.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Nov '11 06:03
    😴😴
    Sleep is about all you can do. 😀
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Nov '11 06:05
    😴
    Okay, I will be back after you two finish your naps.
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    04 Nov '11 10:09

And if they ...[text shortened]... ad a better response but my pc crashed so this is the revised rushed version, sorryyyy🙂 )
    Why the need for more intelligence?

Intelligence gave us better chances at surviving. Those individuals who who had greater intelligence passed those genes on to the next generation.

Still you dont deny that our brains have grown rather quickly.

It still depends on what you mean by 'quickly'?. Consider this - Australopithecus afarensis Lived around 3 million years ago and had a cranial capacity of around 450cc, modern humans have a cranial capacity of anywhere between 1100-1900cc. A 3-4 times expansion in 3 million years? Would you say that was quick?

There is an obvious limit on how quickly evolution works.

That depends on so many factors, the obvious one being how long an organism lives. For arguments sake lets say a mutation rate is the same in humans and mice. Because mice have a much shorter life span than humans more mutation is going to occur over the same period of time.

There's so may factors that can influence the rate of evolution.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Nov '11 15:07
    [b]Why the need for more intelligence?

Intelligence gave us better chances at surviving. Those individuals who who had greater intelligence passed those genes on to the next generation.

It still depends on what you mean by 'quickly'?. Consider this - [i]Australopithecus af ...[text shortened]... the same period of time.

There's so may factors that can influence the rate of evolution.[/b]
    The limit is that evolution does not work at all. Adaptation, as God made
    allowances for, is what works.
  12. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    04 Nov '11 16:54
    The limit is that evolution does not work at all. Adaptation, as God made
    allowances for, is what works.
    If you haven't got anything intelligent to add to the discussion please refrain from just adding any old crap.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Nov '11 20:23
    Okay, I will be back after you two finish your naps.
    Back for what?
    You wont study the material. You cherry pick even from the bible.
    You therefore have no place in this discussion. Good bye
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Nov '11 20:34
    [b]Why the need for more intelligence?

It still depends on what you mean by 'quickly'?. Consider this - [i]Australopithecus a ...[text shortened]... the same period of time.

There's so may factors that can influence the rate of evolution.[/b]
    Better chances of survivng? There are plenty of less intelligent animals that survive quite well.
    If anything it seems too much intelligence has made us better adept at killing eachother- to the point of near global genocide. Lets hope intelligence is used for the right things.

1100-1900cc - is that right? Seems like and awful big discrepency. I thought it was more like 1450-1550cc.
    Would there be some people with unusually bigger heads that others if that were the case? (Or are those the people that wear large hats?)

There'e so many factors, but we can narrow it down for human evolution and guess to say that humans and their protoypes lived about 30-40 years on average. If we go from that figure it will rule out a lot of theories as to how we evolved-especially Young Earth creationists who somehow want to combine their beliefs with evolution.

Did you hear about "mitochondrial Eve"? It was a tv show,(prolly a book as well), that traced back our genes to our one common ancestor- a female, ape/human.
    (After all it would be logical that there would be one common female ancestor for all of humanity)
    I like the theory of mitochondrial Eve but I forget how long ago they say she lived, also I wonder how the different races came into being.

But I dont want to get ahead of myself.
    Ideas?
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Nov '11 22:38
    If you haven't got anything intelligent to add to the discussion please refrain from just adding any old crap.
    The truth is not just any old crap.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree