God accepts me the way I am

God accepts me the way I am

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
27 Nov 08

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
"But is it a command or more like a prediction - a prophecy?"

Seeing that Jesus said it as a summation within the following context, it seems extremely unlikely to be a prophecy.

[i]"For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven."
Several "You ...[text shortened]... are you? If not, why don't you take a stab at the questions in the original post?[/b]
Does the being perfect part mean we're supposed to smite people who tick us off? We are supposed to be unforgiving for eternity after they die about something they did while they were alive? Our love for others is supposed to have a list of conditions attached? We're allowed to "test" people by being horrible to them and making things as difficult as possible for them and yet still expect their gratitude and loyalty?

T

Moves
27 Nov 08

Originally posted by pawnhandler
Does the being perfect part mean we're supposed to smite people who tick us off? We are supposed to be unforgiving for eternity after they die about something they did while they were alive? Our love for others is supposed to have a list of conditions attached? We're allowed to "test" people by being horrible to them and making things as difficult as possible for them and yet still expect their gratitude and loyalty?
Jesus was speaking of the standard of righteousness required for "eternal life" / "heaven" / "salvation". That standard is to become the embodiment of truth, love, compassion, justice, etc., hence "perfection (completeness)."

Are you trying to point out the difficulty of reconciling the "Old Testament" conception of God with the above? They can't be reconciled.

rc

Moves
28 Nov 08

Jesus was speaking of the standard of righteousness required for "eternal life" / "heaven" / "salvation". That standard is to become the embodiment of truth, love, compassion, justice, etc., hence "perfection (completeness)."

Are you trying to point out the difficulty of reconciling the "Old Testament" conception of God with the above? They can't be reconciled.
so what you are saying is that gods standards change?

T

Moves
28 Nov 08

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
so what you are saying is that gods standards change?
Not at all. Read my post again.

rc

Moves
28 Nov 08

Not at all. Read my post again.
no!

T

Moves
28 Nov 08

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
no!
As they say, ignorance is bliss.

rc

Moves
28 Nov 08

is it?

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
28 Nov 08

..............and the best way to stay ignorant is to avoid any debate that challenges you to think about your own position.

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
28 Nov 08

That standard is to become the embodiment of truth, love, compassion, justice, etc., hence "perfection (completeness)."

---------------ToO------------------

Ha e you stopped and thought about how such an embodiment might take place in an individual? Would you say that God has a role to play in helping such a person become an embodiment? I wonder what Jesus meant when he said "on that day you will know that I am in you and you are in me" ? Curious............