1. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    13 Jun '18 04:082 edits
    Originally posted by @alphazero
    If I am following you correctly, you believe we are all a virtual reality, but a virtual reality of what or who?

That view is somewhat similar to 'Christian' Science which postulates that we are all just thoughts in the mind of God - nothing is real, pain isn't real, death isn't real, etc.

There would be no direct or explicit passage of Scripture ...[text shortened]... festation of something else or a virtual reality. It is a very real thing.

Just my thoughts.
    Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. When I talk about stuff like this, it usually either kills threads or goes completely unaddressed. I've done some reading and cursory research (cursory, relative to actual quantum physicists) regarding discoveries in quantum science. Some very brilliant minds have concluded that our reality is virtual.

Interesting point about the flesh and the Word becoming flesh and dwelling among us. To me of course, this means entering our dimension, our universe, and taking on human form. Not that it isn't real per se, it is very real. But to the Father and Son who reside (but for His Earthly ministry) outside our dimension--what defines the human reality? Someone once said in a movie... "How do you define 'real'? If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain."

Anyway, as stated before I wouldn't preach it or claim it to be true. I just believe it and I think science is catching up to the 'reality' of it. 😉
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    13 Jun '18 05:391 edit
    You are right that a single perspective, such as mine or yours, cannot be the entire point of a complex text like the Bible. However, coming from the educational background that I do - two masters in theology and a doctorate - I have never heard anyone reputable or non-reputable (so you get the latter distinction 😉 ) cite this text to debunk God's omnisc ...[text shortened]... wer to then certainly God can do the same since we are but a shadow of his habits and practices.
    You cited nothing. You alluded to possible arguments from the original language. You alluded to various things scholars said. You have all this wondrous knowledge, yet cannot be bothered to put any of it in a post. I'm just supposed to take your word for it.

Sorry, but that's not how I roll. The BigDogg remains unimpressed. 😴
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Jun '18 06:181 edit
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    [quote]Gen. 3:9
    But the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?”

10 He answered, “I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid.”

11 And he said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?”

12 The man said, “The woman you put here with me—she gave me ...[text shortened]... of them, reading this text objectively, must realize the OT God is not portrayed as omniscient?
    The fact you used those verses from Genesis to claim God is not omniscient was the biggest Spirituality Forum pratfall since I’ve been on here.

Ghost takes the cake when it comes to the number of pratfalls, but your pratfall in this OP was like a double somersault, pants-ripping, shoes-flying pratfall - the biggest, most embarrassing pratfall I’ve ever seen.

Not for nothing did it earn you the Native American moniker: Flaming Cheeks of Embarrassment.

Edit: And after theists completely ripped apart your OP in a matter of minutes, you resorted to angry cursing out of shame and embarrassment. That was so freaking hilarious.
  4. Joined
    07 Feb '18
    Moves
    14 Jun '18 01:08
    You cited nothing. You alluded to possible arguments from the original language. You alluded to various things scholars said. You have all this wondrous knowledge, yet cannot be bothered to put any of it in a post. I'm just supposed to take your word for it.

Sorry, but that's not how I roll. The BigDogg remains unimpressed. 😴
    I suspect you are the sort of person who is only impressed with yourself.

However, I'm not trying to impress you anymore than I try to impress kindergarten kids in Sunday School
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    14 Jun '18 01:14

10 He answered, “I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid.”

11 And he said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?”

12 The man said, “The woman you put here with me—she gave me ...[text shortened]... of them, reading this text objectively, must realize the OT God is not portrayed as omniscient?
    Sure He is, but when He communicates with us it is always in terms to get us to see His
    point. Asking questions doesn't mean He doesn't know. Throughout the OT as man had
    contact with God after the fall, the more contact man had the greater our understanding
    of WHO God is.
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    14 Jun '18 12:52
    I suspect you are the sort of person who is only impressed with yourself.

However, I'm not trying to impress you anymore than I try to impress kindergarten kids in Sunday School
    Oh really? So, you weren't aiming to impress by bragging of your "two masters in theology and a doctorate" and your "several Masoretic Texts in my library"? Yeah, right!

I bet your office also "smells of rich mahogany". 🙄
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    14 Jun '18 15:381 edit
    For proponents of the "God is asking rhetorical questions" interpretation, consider this passage from Gen. 18 once more:

17 Then the Lord said, “Shall I hide from Abraham what I am about to do? 18 Abraham will surely become a great and powerful nation, and all nations on earth will be blessed through him.[c] 19 For I have chosen him, so that he will direct his children and his household after him to keep the way of the Lord by doing what is right and just, so that the Lord will bring about for Abraham what he has promised him.”

20 Then the Lord said, “The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous 21 that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know.”

Call me crazy, but isn't God taking to himself here? Why would he ask himself a rhetorical question?
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jun '18 18:04
    For proponents of the "God is asking rhetorical questions" interpretation, consider this passage from Gen. 18 once more:

17 Then the Lord said, “Shall I hide from Abraham what I am about to do? 18 Abraham will surely become a great and powerful nation, and all nations on earth will be blessed through him.[c] 19 For I have chosen him, so that he wi ...[text shortened]... me crazy, but isn't God taking to himself here? Why would he ask himself a rhetorical question?
    Haven’t you been embarrassed enough?

But now that that the red hue and tingly heat have left your cheeks, you’re back for more.

Sad!
  9. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    14 Jun '18 18:53
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Haven’t you been embarrassed enough?

But now that that the red hue and tingly heat have left your cheeks, you’re back for more.

Sad!
    You appear to carry embarrassment around with you like a trophy, or a girl guide showing off her badge for knitting socks.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jun '18 19:58
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    You appear to carry embarrassment around with you like a trophy, or a girl guide showing off her badge for knitting socks.
    You have enough trouble answering for yourself, Ghostie. Best not try to answer for others.
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 Jun '18 18:47
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    Sure He is, but when He communicates with us it is always in terms to get us to see His
    point. Asking questions doesn't mean He doesn't know. Throughout the OT as man had
    contact with God after the fall, the more contact man had the greater our understanding
    of WHO God is.
    Hi, Kelly. Don't leave just yet.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Jun '18 22:271 edit
    Hi, Kelly. Don't leave just yet.
    😉 I was at 12 games, now down to 10. Some of these games have been going on over a year. Hard to say how long I have. Thanks for saying that however!
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    17 Jun '18 15:59
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    😉 I was at 12 games, now down to 10. Some of these games have been going on over a year. Hard to say how long I have. Thanks for saying that however!
    You're welcome. You're one of the few theists left here that is capable of having a sincere discussion with the other side.
  14. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 02:03

When I think about it, I have to say, being omniscient must surely work out to be a living hell. How could anyone handle it? No surprises, no thrill of discovery, and all your future actions and Scrabble games known in advance. You'd know how every conversation would go before the first word is spoken. It gives me the shivers.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree