1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    05 Apr '11 12:57
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    You've hit the nail on the head, although not as you think.

Christianity has had longer to evolve than Islam. Now ask yourself were Christians the fun loving tolerant type 500yrs ago?
    Yeah, I suppose that extra 500 years really made a difference, eh?
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    05 Apr '11 14:27
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Yeah, I suppose that extra 500 years really made a difference, eh?
    Well we don't have Christian death squads patrolling the English countryside torturing and murdering women who are accused of 'witchcraft' anymore. I'd call that progress.
  3. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    05 Apr '11 14:33
    Originally posted by Palynka
    [/b]
    I pointed out that this false claim is an example of islamaphobia and I used the behaviour of Pastor Jones to illustrate what, in my view, is the violent consequence of islamaphobia and the empty hypocrisy of its proponents. It is not a reasoned comment on the Qu'ran but a miserable insult, provocative to people who experience the recent behavi ...[text shortened]... none, then why don't you accuse the perpetrators of murder rather than Pastor Jones?
    This is not a coherent argument. Murder and killing are wrong in every value system including Islam. Christians have advocated murder and killing on religious grounds countless times as have Muslims which has precisely no bearing on the matter, because it depends how you use terms like "Christian" or "Muslim." They can refer to a set of religious beliefs or they can refer to social groups and only the context clarifies this. Too many people enjoy slipping and sliding between the different senses of these terms.

I am not endorsing killing at all. I am attacking hate speech. Incitement to hate is not fundamentally different to the resulting deeds.

Islamaphobia presents itself as an attack against certain beliefs (which I don't share being an atheist) but it functions very largely as an attack against social groups of people.

In the Middle East, Pastor Jones is accused of blasphemy, in England he could probably be tried for the crime of inciting hatred, in America there ought to be some framework for identifying the difference between free speech and inciting communal hatred. I recognize how difficult this can be and for example, would not accept a crime of blasphemy in Britain while I do accept the notion of a hate crime. However in reality the distinction between their use of the term blasphemy and my use of the term hate crime may not be far apart.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    05 Apr '11 14:493 edits
    Originally posted by finnegan
    This is not a coherent argument. Murder and killing are wrong in every value system including Islam. Christians have advocated murder and killing on religious grounds countless times as have Muslims which has precisely no bearing on the matter, because it depends how you use terms like "Christian" or "Muslim." They can refer to a set of religious beliefs or een their use of the term blasphemy and my use of the term hate crime may not be far apart.
    You need to learn how to read or to stop mixing my opinions with the ones of others. Where did I compare the values of Christianity and Islam? You keep wanting to deflect there, I wonder why.

Did you, or did you not accuse Pastor Jones of being directly responsible for the deaths of UN workers? This is the fantastic moral contortionism that I accuse you of. The "direct" aspect of it. You prefer to accuse the book burner of being directly responsible for the deaths rather than the people who killed innocents because they were angry at book burning.

If someone had gone out and killed Muslims inspired by Pastor Jones I would understand where you are coming from. But the case is that people went out on a murdering rampage because they were angry against Pastor Jones. It's the equivalent argument of the "raped girl had it coming because she wore a short skirt". Worse. It's actually more like "girl was raped but it's because the other girl wore a skirt" ). And, frankly, it's sickening.
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    05 Apr '11 14:57
    And for the record, Pastor Jones is as representative of Christian values as the murdering idiots are of Islamic ones.
  6. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    05 Apr '11 22:03
    You need to learn how to read or to stop mixing my opinions with the ones of others. Where did I compare the values of Christianity and Islam? You keep wanting to deflect there, I wonder why.

Did you, or did you not accuse Pastor Jones of being directly responsible for the deaths of UN workers? This is the fantastic moral contortionism that I accuse you o ...[text shortened]... s raped but it's because the other girl wore a skirt" ). And, frankly, it's sickening.
    Rubbish. I made quite clear that I was responding to a post by Whodey.

You jumped in on this issue about Pastor Jones and I don't agree with your opinion. Legally there is quite a clear concept of incitement, which I invoked in his case.

The consequence of his action was predicted in advance and he ignored the warnings and the requests to desist. He was reckless of the consequences, which were predictable. He put other people in danger. It is not over yet.
  7. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    05 Apr '11 22:05
    And for the record, Pastor Jones is as representative of Christian values as the murdering idiots are of Islamic ones.
    I do not think you are in the same camp as Whodey and others.
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    06 Apr '11 02:04
    Xenophobia - hatred of foreigners - is a common characteristic among people whose land has for too long been interfered with by foreigners and who feel their values are being insulted and despised. Irish people had a similar reaction to the English at one time not so far back. Pastor Jones is tolerated in his country and has the freedom to be as offensive ...[text shortened]... to doctors performing abortions to Democrat politicians? Or is the US more civilized than that?
    I had a thread a while back titled "1000 years".
    I was trying to get at the point that that some people, (actually whole gorups), act like people did a thousand years ago. Fearful of that which is different from their beliefs, (simply put).
    Juxtaposed to this are the more "enlightened" people/groups that want to look on the positive side of all religons and the cultural traditions that sometimes hold back whole societies.
    My way is to take the positive from all religons/ faiths/humanitarian outlooks and discard the negative stuff.

The Islamophobia displayed by a few posters, (and silently supported by some others, no doubt), may as well be the watered down views of the barbaric christians AND islamists from a 1000 years ago.
    It is a big bridge to cross. But I reckon there is a critical mass in collective thinking that will turn the tables and bring everyone upto speed of where our world is at at the moment.
    We need unification more than ever, it's a shame that in many societies it takes a natural disaster (for example), to bring the people together and forget about their religous differences and go back to their innate, innocent, altruistic natures ,(like children have), and leave our cultural/religous differences behind to embrace our simlilarities, of which we have more of than differences.
  9. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    06 Apr '11 06:313 edits
    I beg to differ.

Where in the Bible says "go burn the books of other religions"?

As for Qur'an, it does call for swinging swords, chopping
    heads off, and getting medieval on unbelievers' rears.

In all fairness, though, the Qur'an also says that it is not cool
    to kill oneself nor to murder kids.

However, we cannot deny that the Qur'an has a lot of fabric
    where crazy guys can cut here and there to the advantage
    of their "holy" causes.
  10. Wat?
    Moves
    06 Apr '11 07:07
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    It does. Medical research has to take race into account, and race can be identified from genetic analysis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1196372/
    It doesn't!

http://www.pbs.org/race/000_About/002_04-background-01-07.htm

And there's another thousand pages I can pick out for you.

-m.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    06 Apr '11 08:07
    Originally posted by Seitse
    I beg to differ.

However, we cannot deny that the Qur'an has a lot o ...[text shortened]... abric
    of their "holy" causes.
    Same as Christanity.
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    06 Apr '11 09:14
    Rubbish. I made quite clear that I was responding to a post by Whodey.

You jumped in on this issue about Pastor Jones and I don't agree with your opinion. Legally there is quite a clear concept of incitement, which I invoked in his case.

The consequence of his action was predicted in advance and he ignored the warnings and the requests to desist. He ...[text shortened]... of the consequences, which were predictable. He put other people in danger. It is not over yet.
    "Legally, there is a clear concept of incitement".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incitement
    "act of persuading, encouraging, instigating, pressuring, or threatening so as to cause another to commit a crime. [...] The inciter must intend the others to engage in the behaviour constituting the offence"

Pastor Jones did not intend UN workers to be killed, so he would not be guilty under such a definition of the murders of the UN workers. So either retract your legalist defense or backtrack and claim that the concept of incitement is not as clear as you pretended it is. You better give me an example of a legal definition that would include unintended deaths of UN workers.
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    06 Apr '11 09:16
    I beg to differ.

However, we cannot deny that the Qur'an has a lot o ...[text shortened]... abric
    of their "holy" causes.
    People read what they want to read in both books. There's plenty of death and genocide in the Bible, too. Modern and intelligent theists of both religions dismiss those as "sign of the times" and read them metaphorically.
  14. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    06 Apr '11 09:331 edit
    People read what they want to read in both books. There's plenty of death and genocide in the Bible, too. Modern and intelligent theists of both religions dismiss those as "sign of the times" and read them metaphorically.
    There is no "commandment to misbehave" nor "authorization to misbehave"
    in the Bible as it appears in the Qur'an. Do not lie.

That is why when a nutcase does something awful "based" on the Bible, almost
    everybody thinks "wow what a nutcase", but when the same happens with the
    Qur'an not as many think the same.
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    06 Apr '11 09:49
    That is why when a nutcase does something awful "based" on the Bible, almost
    everybody thinks "wow what a nutcase", but when the same happens with the
    Qur'an not as many think the same.
    I certainly do. You don't think because you are more familiar with normal Christians and perhaps less so with normal Muslims (who are never news)?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree