1. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    05 May '14 16:22
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b]Anyone with marginal reading capabilities can see that the argument does not ultimately purport to show "that choosing perfectly rationally somehow precludes free will".

You're too funny LJ.

Anyone with marginal reading capabilities can see that my post does not say that the argument "ultimately purport[s] to show 'that choosing perfectly ra ...[text shortened]... You might want to make sure you understand what others have written before throwing a hissy fit.[/b]
    Chaff.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 May '14 17:52
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    What on earth does any of this have to do with the argument in the opening post? Are there are premises there that you disagree with? If so, which ones and why?
    You said it wasn't a free choice, if God had good reasons to choose it.
    My statement is so what it was the choice to make, so God makes it.
    It is stiff a free choice, being able to make a choice means just that, you
    are able to make a choice. To always pick the best one does not take
    away that choices are being made, it only reveals that the best choices
    will always be made.
    Kelly
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    05 May '14 17:56
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    You said it wasn't a free choice, if God had good reasons to choose it.
    My statement is so what it was the choice to make, so God makes it.
    It is stiff a free choice, being able to make a choice means just that, you
    are able to make a choice. To always pick the best one does not take
    away that choices are being made, it only reveals that the best choices
    will always be made.
    Kelly
    So which premise are you rejecting?
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 May '14 17:57
    So which premise are you rejecting?
    (C1) Therefore, God's choice to A was not free.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    05 May '14 17:581 edit
    (C1) Therefore, God's choice to A was not free.
    That's the conclusion, not a major premise. C1 follows from the premises that precede it, so you need to reject one of those.
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 May '14 18:121 edit
    That's the conclusion, not a major premise. C1 follows from the premises that precede it, so you need to reject one of those.
    (9) From (2) & (6) & (8), God could not have chosen not to A.

If God could not chose, than it wasn't a choice. If God could chose than
    God had a choice and picked the correct one.
    Kelly
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    05 May '14 18:241 edit
    (9) From (2) & (6) & (8), God could not have chosen not to A.

If God could not chose, than it wasn't a choice. If God could chose than
    God had a choice and picked the correct one.
    Kelly
    Of course it was a choice: premise (5), taken on supposition, entails that God made a choice to A, and premise (9) does not contradict this. Premise (9) is not claiming that "God could not choose". It is basically claiming that God could not have chosen other than He did choose.

At any rate, Premise (9) follows from (2)&(6)&(8). So are you rejecting one of these? Or are you saying that (9) does not logically follow from them?
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 May '14 19:22
    Of course it was a choice: premise (5), taken on supposition, entails that God made a choice to A, and premise (9) does not contradict this. Premise (9) is not claiming that "God could not choose". It is basically claiming that God could not have chosen other than He did choose.

At any rate, Premise (9) follows from (2)&(6)&(8). So are you rejecting one of these? Or are you saying that (9) does not logically follow from them?
    If God cannot choose than there isn't a choice to be made now is there?
    Kelly
  9. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    05 May '14 19:561 edit
    If God cannot choose than there isn't a choice to be made now is there?
    Kelly
    I'm not understanding your objection to (9). Premise (9) does not assert that "God cannot choose". From premise (5), God can choose and in fact did choose to A. Now, given that and the other premises, what premise (9) is basically asserting is that God could not have chosen not to A.

Again, according to the argument, (9) follows from (2)&(6)&(8). So, to help me understand your objection to (9), it would be helpful to know if you would reject one or more of (2), (6), or (8); or else if you would claim that (9) does not logically follow from them.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 May '14 20:18
    I'm not understanding your objection to (9). Premise (9) does not assert that "God cannot choose". From premise (5), God can choose and in fact did choose to A. Now, given that and the other premises, what premise (9) is basically asserting is that God could not have chosen not to A.

Again, according to the argument, (9) follows from (2)&(6)&(8). ...[text shortened]... re of (2), (6), or (8); or else if you would claim that (9) does not logically follow from them.
    " God could not have chosen..."

If God could not have chosen, than there isn't a choice. So what are you
    asking about? If there is a choice to be made, and one is made, okay,
    but as soon as you take away a choice there isn't one.
    Kelly
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    05 May '14 20:282 edits
    " God could not have chosen..."

If God could not have chosen, than there isn't a choice. So what are you
    asking about? If there is a choice to be made, and one is made, okay,
    but as soon as you take away a choice there isn't one.
    Kelly
    Kelly, premise (9) is basically asserting that the fact God could not have chosen not to A is contigent upon the truth of all the following: God chose to A; God is perfectly rational by definition; God knew all relevant reasons for and against His choosing to A; and on the basis of all those relevant reasons, the reasons for God's choosing to A outweighed reasons against God's choosing to A.

Now, do you have some actual reason to think this is not so?

Again, it would be very helpful for me if you would state whether or not you would reject any of (2), (6), or (8); or whether or not it is your stance that (9) does not logically follow from these premises.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 May '14 20:33
    Kelly, premise (9) is basically asserting that God's not being able to have chosen not to A is contigent upon the truth of all the following: God chose to A; God is perfectly rational by definition; God knew all relevant reasons for and against His choosing to A; and on the basis of all those relevant reasons, the reasons for God's choosing to A outweighe ...[text shortened]... ons against God's choosing to A.

Now, do you have some actual reason to think this is not so?
    You are still doing it, "God's not being able to have..." if God is not able,
    than you are not speaking about a choice. If God has all the information
    than makes a choice on data, than God makes the best choice, that is
    just that. You cannot say God is "not being able..." because the ability
    of choice is being able to make one.

Where "not being able" is not a choice, it is the only thing that was
    ever going to happen no matter what.
    Kelly
  13. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    05 May '14 20:511 edit
    Premise (3) is not only false but outrageously false. I have argued against such an incompatibilist notion on these boards for years and years, on the basis that such a view is hopelessly confused and incoherent. Premise (4) is also outrageously false too, when the conception of freedom at issue is of this incompatibilist sort. I have also argued that ...[text shortened]... r God is not free, by your very own lights of what freedom consists in (given also (1) and (2)).
    Fair enough.

Taking that as given...

Would it be possible to square the circle as it were, by checking to see if the
    god was free to choose whatever option god wanted BEFORE taking into account
    gods wishes?

So that god has the capability of choosing anything, but then gods nature dictates
    which options god does in fact actually pick?

If I was a theist committed to such a view of free will and such a view of god that
    would probably be my attempted out.

EDIT: Interestingly it looks to me like Kelly is taking exactly this route.
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    05 May '14 21:012 edits
    You are still doing it, "God's not being able to have..." if God is not able,
    than you are not speaking about a choice. If God has all the information
    than makes a choice on data, than God makes the best choice, that is
    just that. You cannot say God is "not being able..." because the ability
    of choice is being able to make one.

Where "not being able" is not a choice, it is the only thing that was
    ever going to happen no matter what.
    Kelly
    Ok, I can see we are getting nowhere here. In what follows below, I will simply make my case for why (9) does in fact follow from (2)&(6)&(8). Then, it will be your turn to tell me why (9) should still be rejected: be prepared that it will require your presenting some actual argument against (2) or (6) or (8); or your presenting some actual argument for why (9) does not follow from the conjunction of these.

Again, we have supposed for the sake of this discussion that God has chosen to A. Now, since God is perfectly rational, it follows that God made this choice to A on the basis of reasons for His doing so and that these reasons for His doing so outweighed reasons for His not doing so (and He has full access to all such reasons in virtue of His omniscience). Now, given this, could God have chosen not to A? No...because to choose not to A when armed with the knowledge that the reasons for choosing to A outweigh the reasons for choosing not to A would be a violation of perfect rationality; and hence would contradict the supposition that He is perfectly rational.

Now, the above alone is not sufficient to support (9). That's because one could simply object that although God is perfectly rational and always so acts, this is still consistent with its being possible that God could act otherwise. That is, they could object that it is merely contingently the case that God is perfectly rational, such that there is still some possible world where God chooses to not A even armed with the knowledge that the reasons for His A-ing outweigh those against His A-ing. But this is where we need to invoke the "by definition" part of premise (2). If perfect rationality is simply definitionally part of the concept 'God', then if God exists, God is necessarily perfectly rational. Hence there are no possible worlds wherein such a being chooses not to A when doing so would entail violation of perfect rationality, since it results in contradiction with that being's putative essence.

Ok, now your turn....
  15. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    05 May '14 21:071 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Fair enough.

Taking that as given...

Would it be possible to square the circle as it were, by checking to see if the
    god was free to choose whatever option god wanted BEFORE taking into account
    gods wishes?

So that god has the capability of choosing anything, but then gods nature dictates
    which options god does in fact actually pick?

...[text shortened]... attempted out.

EDIT: Interestingly it looks to me like Kelly is taking exactly this route.
    If the theist wants to stick to his incompatibilist conception of freedom and wants God to be free, I think the theist should simply deny that God is necessarily perfectly rational...such that God is, in fact, perfectly rational in the actual world but such that there are possible worlds in which He is not. I think this particular problem with God's freedom then evaporates.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree