1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Nov '14 17:42
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)
    "God's person..."

Ever give any serious thought to the attributes of the essence of God's person, specifically our point of contact with Him?

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (Page 1)
    Thanks for the honesty of your replies. Yes, God is a person* a supernatural being as opposed to an abstruse concept, nebulous force, unknowable supernatural entity or figment of someone's imagination (Exodus 3:14). Here's the context
    of God's declaration to Moses given in the Burning Bush passage in the Old Testament Book of Exodus 3:1-15 (NASB)

"Now Moses was pasturing the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian; and he led the flock to the [a] west side of the wilderness and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. 2 The angel of the Lord appeared to him in a blazing fire from the midst of [b ] a bush; and he looked, and behold, the bush was burning with fire, yet the bush was not consumed. 3 So Moses said, “[c] I must turn aside now and see this [d] marvelous sight, why the bush is not burned up.” 4 When the Lord saw that he turned aside to look, God called to him from the midst of the bush and said, “Moses, Moses!” And he said, “Here I am.” 5 Then He said, “Do not come near here; remove your sandals from your feet, for the place on which you are standing is holy ground.” 6 He said also, “I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.” Then Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look at God.

7 The Lord said, “I have surely seen the affliction of My people who are in Egypt, and have given heed to their cry because of their taskmasters, for I am aware of their sufferings. 8 So I have come down to deliver them from the [e] power of the Egyptians, and to bring them up from that land to a good and spacious land, to a land flowing with milk and honey, to the place of the Canaanite and the Hittite and the Amorite and the Perizzite and the Hivite and the Jebusite. 9 Now, behold, the cry of the sons of Israel has come to Me; furthermore, I have seen the oppression with which the Egyptians are oppressing them. [The Mission of Moses] 10 Therefore, come now, and I will send you to Pharaoh, so that you may bring My people, the sons of Israel, out of Egypt.” 11 But Moses said to God, “Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh, and that I should bring the sons of Israel out of Egypt?” 12 And He said, “Certainly I will be with you, and this shall be the sign to you that it is I who have sent you: when you have brought the people out of Egypt, you shall [f]worship God at this mountain.”

13 Then Moses said to God, “Behold, I am going to the sons of Israel, and I will say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you.’ Now they may say to me, ‘What is His name?’ What shall I say to them?” 14 God said to Moses, “[g] I AM WHO [h] I AM”; and He said, “Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, ‘[i ]I AM has sent me to you.’” 15 God, furthermore, said to Moses..." Footnotes: a. Exodus 3:1 Or rear part; b. Exodus 3:2 Lit the; c. Exodus 3:3 Lit Let me turn; d. Exodus 3:3 Lit great; e. Exodus 3:8 Lit hand; f. Exodus 3:12 Or serve; g. [h. and i.] Exodus 3:14 Related to the name of God, YHWH, rendered Lord, which is derived from the verb HAYAH, to be; j.Exodus 3:15 Lit to generation of generation"

*The Biblical Doctrine of the Trinity will come up at an appropriate time if objective interest in discussion of this overarching topic continues. Next, comments regarding each of the Attributes of God: Sovereignty; Love; Eternal Life; Righteousness; Justice; Omniscience; Omnipotence; Omnipresence; Veracity and Immutability which define the essence of God's Integrity.

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (Page 2)
    "Next, comments regarding each of the Attributes of God: Sovereignty; Love; Eternal Life; Righteousness; Justice; Omniscience; Omnipotence; Omnipresence; Veracity and Immutability which define the essence of God's Integrity."

The Sovereignty of God and the free will of man co-exist in human history. He respects your volition and mine and will not coerce either our temporal or eternal decisions. Sovereignty refers to His infinite, eternal and unchangeable self determining will as the Supreme Being of the universe: "Know therefore today and take it to your heart [mind] that the Lord He is God in heaven above and on the earth below; there is no other." Deuteronomy 4:39 (NASB) God's sovereign will for the human race since eternity past is expressed in the New Testament Book of 2 Peter 3:9 (KJV): "The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance [a change of mind about the person and work of Jesus Christ as a substitute for fallen man to satisfy the justice and righteousness of God the Father and in having done so eliminate personal sin as an issue at salvation]."

"Next, comments regarding each of the Attributes of God: Sovereignty; Love; Eternal Life; Righteousness; Justice; Omniscience; Omnipotence; Omnipresence; Veracity and Immutability which define the essence of God's Integrity."

Here's a recap of the thread's OP and its continuation. Any questions in advance regarding the next attribute of God?
  2. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Nov '14 19:03
    Originally posted by josephw
    Through faith.

What is faith you ask?

Hebrews 11:1&3
    Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
    Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

Do you want faith?

Romans 10:17
    So then faith [cometh] by heari ...[text shortened]... d.

Believe the Word of God and you will receive all the faith you will ever need to know God.
    'faith is the substance of things hoped for'

this is not 'knowing'.

'the evidence of things not seen'

faith is not evidence for anything, so this is not 'knowing' either.

how do you 'know'?

how do you know 100% that there is no possibility that you are deluded?
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Nov '14 23:03
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    I have heard similar, very well done. I heard all 5 clips...He articulated much better than I ever could.
    When we catch a glimpse of God's holiness, even the very best of us have our warts and short comings revealed!
    This reminds me of Paul's comment about teaching Christ crucified.
    [b]1 Cor 1:23-25
    but we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stum ...[text shortened]... short coming? After he was "purged", he received a boldness to say "send me"...
    Awesome stuff!
    Congrats on hearing the whole thing. Remind me to recipicate.

I think he gives the same message as an older man.
  4. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    03 Nov '14 00:011 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"God's person..."

Ever give any serious thought to the attributes of the essence of God's person, specifically our point of contact with Him?[/b]
    Sure, He's like a loving Grandfather to each of us.
    of course if we are Brothers of Christ, then He is a loving Father to each of us.
  5. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    07 Nov '14 21:28
    case closed.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    17 Nov '14 19:34
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)
    "God's person..."

Ever give any serious thought to the attributes of the essence of God's person, specifically our point of contact with Him?

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (Page 1)
    Thanks for the honesty of your replies. Yes ...[text shortened]... the thread's OP and its continuation. Any questions in advance regarding the next attribute of God?

"Here's a recap of the thread's OP and its continuation. Any questions in advance regarding the next attribute of God?" Apparently no questions. Any comments on your understanding of the Love of God before we proceed?
  7. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    18 Nov '14 22:01
    "Next, comments regarding each of the Attributes of God: Sovereignty; [b]Love; Eternal Life; Righteousness; Justice; Omniscience; Omnipotence; Omnipresence; Veracity and Immutability which define the essence of God's Integrity."

"Here's a recap of the thread's OP and its continuation. Any questions in advance regarding the next attribute of God?" ...[text shortened]... ly no questions. Any comments on your understanding of the Love of God before we proceed?[/b]
    Immutable is unchanging. God's standards and principles are unchanging. His mind is capable of change. Consider ancient Nineveh as an example. They repented and God changed His mind about destroying that great city.
    That He can change His mind is our only hope. We too are in line for destruction. Our only hope is the ransom of God's Son Christ Jesus. We can realize that hope by repenting and accepting His Son Christ Jesus as our savior.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Nov '14 05:04
    Originally posted by roigam
    Immutable is unchanging. God's standards and principles are unchanging. His mind is capable of change. Consider ancient Nineveh as an example. They repented and God changed His mind about destroying that great city.
    That He can change His mind is our only hope. We too are in line for destruction. Our only hope is the ransom of God's Son Christ Jesus. We can realize that hope by repenting and accepting His Son Christ Jesus as our savior.
    Thanks for your reply, roigam. While I appreciate your knowledge, no attribute of God operates independently of His other attributes; each one is consistent with His Divine integrity. God's omnipotence cannot set aside His immutability which guarantees His faithfulness. "The Lord's loving kindness never ceases for His compassions never fail." Lamentations 3:22 An anthropopathism is used as language of accommodation in the Nineveh passage for the sake of clarity. God cannot change an iota of what He has already decreed. "When God saw their deeds, that they turned from their wicked way, then God relented concerning the calamity that he had declared He would bring upon. And he did not do it." Jonah 3:10 (NASB)

"Pulpit Commentary: Jonah 3 Verse 10. - § 4. God accepts this repentance, and the threatened destruction is averted...
    This is an anthropopathical mode of speaking; God acted as if, taking man's view of the transaction, he repented. The sentence was conditional, as Jonah well knew (Jonah 4:2), in accordance with the great principle laid down in Jeremiah 18:7, etc., viz. that if a nation against which sentence is pronounced turn from its evil way, the sentence shall not be executed. God does not change, but he threatens that man may change (see note on Amos 7:3; and observe the same principle applied to individuals, Ezekiel 33:8, 13-16). He did it not. The evil day was postponed. This partial repentance, though it was not permanent and made little lasting impression on the national life, showed that there was some element of good in these Assyrians, and that they were not yet ripe for destruction." http://biblehub.com/jonah/3-10.htm Any comments on His Love?
  9. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    20 Nov '14 03:16
    Thanks for your reply, roigam. While I appreciate your knowledge, no attribute of God operates independently of His other attributes; each one is consistent with His Divine integrity. God's omnipotence cannot set aside His immutability which guarantees His faithfulness. "The Lord's loving kindness never ceases for His compassions never fail." Lamentatio ...[text shortened]... were not yet ripe for destruction." http://biblehub.com/jonah/3-10.htm Any comments on His Love?
    I'll have to think about that comment. I know we have free will and I know we are made in God's image therefore He must have freewill also. To say that things are set in cement denies His free will. Some would call it predestination which would make pressing forward to salvation an empty endeavor. If He has already decided who will be saved, why worry. Either we will or we won't regardless of what we do. I don't believe that.
    As far as His love, what could be more loving than a Grandfather who loves His grandchildren so much that He sacrifices His own Son to make a legal basis for any of His grandchildren who want it to have everlasting life?
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Nov '14 16:46
    Originally posted by roigam
    I'll have to think about that comment. I know we have free will and I know we are made in God's image therefore He must have freewill also. To say that things are set in cement denies His free will. Some would call it predestination which would make pressing forward to salvation an empty endeavor. If He has already decided who will be saved, why worry. Either ...[text shortened]... own Son to make a legal basis for any of His grandchildren who want it to have everlasting life?
    Any further thoughts on God's Divine Attribute of Love?
  11. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    26 Nov '14 04:13
    I had an idea about the problem of evil - Leibnitz's solution was that this is the best of all possible worlds - which somehow isn't satisfying. Turn it on it's head for a minute though. If God were evil then there'd be a problem of good and this would be the worst of all possible worlds. Since it is pretty easy to imagine a world far worse than the one we live in then if God exists then he is not evil.

Sorry, that's about all I'm prepared to commit to on the nature of God.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 Nov '14 10:31
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I had an idea about the problem of evil - Leibnitz's solution was that this is the best of all possible worlds - which somehow isn't satisfying. Turn it on it's head for a minute though. If God were evil then there'd be a problem of good and this would be the worst of all possible worlds. Since it is pretty easy to imagine a world far worse than the o ...[text shortened]... then he is not evil.

Sorry, that's about all I'm prepared to commit to on the nature of God.
    Wouldn't an evil god know of that line of reasoning and make the
    world sufficiently less than the worst of all possible worlds?
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    26 Nov '14 15:16
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Wouldn't an evil god know of that line of reasoning and make the
    world sufficiently less than the worst of all possible worlds?
    To lure us into a false sense of security? It did cross my mind, but evil and good aren't complete mirror images. A good God might allow evil in the world as a good God could allow free will whether to choose good or evil, with the reward for choosing good. An evil God on the other hand wouldn't have that motivation, you get punished either way so there's no point in allowing good.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree