1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 08:07
    Paul reminds them that though he had considerable authority spiritually, he was gentle in the midst of the Thessalonians. He actually has the boldness to remind them.

" But we were gentle in your midst, as a nursing mother would cherish her own children." (v.7)

We do not have a record of any response back to Paul from this church.
    But reading it shows Paul had some approvedness and credibility to stand on and remind them of.

In this he was not bragging. I think they had many influences. And Paul was reminding them of where their real enduring and substantial spiritual profit came from.

I don't think he was fighting for religious turf.
    He was concerned that they would not be carried off by charlatans or less effective ministers.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 08:15
    Originally posted by @fmf
    sonship. are you nominating yourself as the 'best' Christian to follow out of all the Christian regular posters here in this community? If there are one or two who are, in your estimation, better than you, who are they?
    This is not a thread about me or any particular Christian here.
    But neither is it not about any Christian here per se.

The New Testament sovereignly records these instances where Paul reminded people he helped, to recall his life.

Let's just say that some of us refuse to believe that God would not provide such worthy examples any more.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 08:17
    Originally posted by @sonship
    This is not a thread about me or any particular Christian here.
    But neither is it not about any Christian here per se.
    Why be so wishy-washy about it?

There are several Christians "teaching" here.

Is it better to follow you than Eladar?

Is there no practical substance to what you have to say on the matter?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 08:19
    Paul was concerned that they would not be carried off by charlatans or less effective ministers.
    Are any of the proselytizing Christians here "charlatans or less effective ministers"?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 08:24
    Paul reminds them that though he had considerable authority spiritually, he was gentle in the midst of the Thessalonians. He actually has the boldness to remind them.

[b] " But we were gentle in your midst, as a nursing mother would cherish her own children." (v.7)

We do not have a record of any response back to Paul from this c ...[text shortened]...
    He was concerned that they would not be carried off by charlatans or less effective ministers.[/b]
    Is Rajk999 a more effective minister than you or less effective?
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 08:25
    I don't think that Paul became this way overnight.
    There are years of which we know little about him.

But at some point in his development as a Christian he became approved to the point that God wanted to show him as a pattern.

It is not to place men on pedestals.
    It is see exemplary Christians living as a healthy pattern.

He insisted upon righteous living for himself and his co-laboring team members.

"For you remember, brothers, our labor and travail. While working night and day so as not to be burdensome to any of you, we proclaimed to you the gospel of God.

You are witnesses, as well as God, how in a holy and righteous and blameless manner we conducted ourselves toward you who believe." (vs. 9,10)

How short so many of us believers are to be able to remind others in such a way.
    May God provide His church with true examples to inspire imitation.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 08:27
    "For you remember, brothers, our labor and travail. While working night and day so as not to be burdensome to any of you, we proclaimed to you the gospel of God.

You are witnesses, as well as God, how in a holy and righteous and blameless manner we conducted ourselves toward you who believe." (vs. 9,10)

I think if you read between the lines, probably in Paul's absence some money coveting ministers came in among the Thessalonians. He was concerned that their poor example would tear down the work he and his disciplined apostolic team had accomplished in Thessalonika.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 08:331 edit
    Spiritual progress is intimate and personal and tailored to the individual.
    That is one side of the matter.

This particular thread deals with the kind of cynicism of expecting every Christian to be some isolated, lone, individualistic, innovator as if only originality is important.

That fact of the matter is that one's own personal flavor will always be impossible to eradicate. But the Christians can have cultivated private progress and follow those farther along too.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 08:34
    [b] "For you remember, brothers, our labor and travail. While working night and day so as not to be burdensome to any of you, we proclaimed to you the gospel of God.

I think if you read b ...[text shortened]... would tear down the work he and his disciplined apostolic team had accomplished in Thessalonika.[/b]
    Can you commend to us the fellow Christians here that you believe are 'good to follow'? If your addressed-to-everybody-&-nobody posts have no practical application, and your teachings haven't equipped even yourself with the ability to evaluate and decide, then what use are your supposed teachings?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 12:164 edits
    Christian Brother Paul was even so bold as to tell the Philippians that they should be imitators of him.

" Be imitators together of me, brothers ... " (Phil. 3:17)

He was in prison. He could not get out and among them.
    But in his rejoicing in suffering, endurance, dedication to Christ and faithfulness, he told them to be imitators together of him.

" Be imitators together of me, brothers, and observe attentively those who thus walk as you have us for an example. " (v.17)

What a following this is.

1. Be imitators of the apostle.
    2. Be imitators together - a group of co-imitating followers.
    3. Oserve attentively those who so walk according to the example of Paul and his co-workers
    4. Observe attentively that an exemplary pattern exists to follow.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 12:30
    Does the Bible give us any guidelines on who are good Christians to follow ?

I say Yes Indeed.
    If you live like them and talk like them and think like them, it will be a blessing and profit to you.

Of course if you copy them in words yet don't LIVE as they LIVED, well, that is not that good. But if you truly imitate them, that is ok.

Let's get all convinced.
    Follow the Holy Spirit, He will hook you up.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 12:392 edits
    These tow passages really are saying much of the same thing.

" That you may not be sluggish, but imitators of those who through faith and long-suffering are inheriting the promises." (Heb. 6:12)

" Be imitators together of me, brothers, and observe attentively those who thus walk as you have us for an example. " (Phil.3:17)

Paul inheriting the deep experience of Jesus Christ living in him.
    Paul saw to it that his close co-workers were also with him getting into it.
    Paul told them to attentively notice others who were also coming into the inheritance.
    He and they were the patterns to follow.

Following is a cure for chronic sluggishness.
    It seems that God won't let us become a success completely alone.
    He will bring us on when we learn something of following proper examples.

Then others can break out of doldrums and stagnation and follow us.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 12:41
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    Amen.
    Share more.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 12:51
    Originally posted by @sonship to KellyJay
    Amen.
    Share more.
    Which other Christians here should share more and which do you think should share less?
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 16:16
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    There was an important milestone in my spiritual life when I asked God to put me with Christian who could take care of me.

I am thankful that I both prayed that prayer and God was faithful to answer.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree