Good sci-fi is about the present

Good sci-fi is about the present

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
29 Jan 22

The best science fiction is not about predicting the future; it's about contemplating the human condition now.

Thoughts?

Moves
30 Jan 22

@fmf said
The best science fiction is not about predicting the future; it's about contemplating the human condition now.

Thoughts?
“Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today - but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.”

Isaac Asimov

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
30 Jan 22

@fmf said

Thoughts?
The best does both.

“The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street” from the original Twilight Zone TV series is a good example.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
30 Jan 22

@divegeester said
“Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today - but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.”

Isaac Asimov
Loved Asimov’s “Foundation Trilogy” read them while I was in the Navy.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
30 Jan 22

@fmf said

Thoughts?
And then the oceans swept over the continents.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
30 Jan 22

@divegeester said

Isaac Asimov
I enjoyed Asimov in my youth, but that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Meaningless prattle.

F

Moves
30 Jan 22

@fmf said
Thoughts?
The best sci-fi clarifies our perception of our state of being in the present.

It takes the world as we know it, and tweaks some constants such as how we organize ourselves  or the state of the planet, or what technology we have.

If it's good, it then allows us to explore or question what we consider normal in terms of morality, spirituality, religion, ideology, philosophy, politics, ethics, human nature and the human spirit.

A lot of ordinary and passable sci-fi doesn't attempt do this.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
30 Jan 22
1 edit

@fmf said
The best sci-fi clarifies our perception of our state of being in the present.

It takes the world as we know it, and tweaks some constants such as how we organize ourselves  or the state of the planet, or what technology we have.

If it's good, it then allows us to explore or question what we consider normal in terms of morality, spirituality, religion, ideology, philosoph ...[text shortened]... uman nature and the human spirit.

A lot of ordinary and passable sci-fi doesn't attempt do this.
A classic example of these principles is the television show The Twilight Zone.

"There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call The Twilight Zone."
— Rod Serling

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twilight_Zone_(1959_TV_series)

F

Moves
30 Jan 22

Some dark and provocative sci-fi out of Britain has been Black Mirror, 20+ epidodes to date. It's all very near-future rather than out in space/ on other planets stuff.

Moves
30 Jan 22

@josephw said
I enjoyed Asimov in my youth, but that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Meaningless prattle.
This post by you is a sad revelation of how you, the more dynamic thinking you, has have become encased in this new ridged, bias confirmation seeking, you.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
30 Jan 22

@fmf said

Thoughts?
Have you read Watership Down? For me, it is right up there with Lord of the Rings, but a completely different genre. Everyone in my family has read it and loved it; I'd advise you NOT to watch the cartoon first before you read it. It is an old book you should be able to find at any used book store, and it is a good book for younger kids.

F

Moves
30 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
Have you read Watership Down? For me, it is right up there with Lord of the Rings...
Both... but a long, long time ago! Do you see them appearing on some part of a Venn diagram that has sci-fi on it? i.e. Created worlds that have their own thing going on and the reader witnesses a moral system in fantasy circumstances, what issues arise and how characters interact?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
30 Jan 22
2 edits

@fmf said
Both... but a long, long time ago! Do you see them appearing on some part of a Venn diagram that has sci-fi on it? i.e. Created worlds that have their own thing going on and the reader witnesses a moral system in fantasy circumstances, what issues arise and how characters interact?
Every world created in any story has basic morals played out; they are good sounding boards for thought-provoking themes. Much like a parable, it gives us something to ponder. Not all themes are healthy, and some go to the bottom of the barrel, where people are treated more like objects than people.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
30 Jan 22

@suzianne said
A classic example of these principles is the television show The Twilight Zone.

"There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowle ...[text shortened]... ilight Zone."
— Rod Serling

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twilight_Zone_(1959_TV_series)
Sterling was an occultist.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
30 Jan 22

@divegeester said
This post by you is a sad revelation of how you, the more dynamic thinking you, has have become encased in this new ridged, bias confirmation seeking, you.
Don't be silly and mellow dramatic. I simply stated I thought the quote by Asimov to be bs.